Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

ADS-B - Anyone See This Work Yet?

• Thread starter Deleted member 8818
  • Start date
Sure, I get that, what I'm saying is that it only has an Icon in DJI drones with this feature, and no info... I'm not dissagreeing with you, I'm just being pragmatic.
At some point this tech may evolve into more real and practical aircraft, but now, while things are evolving, I'm not surprised nor hampered by how things are.

Letting me know that an aircraft is within range of the reciever is a start. I can drop altitude, return to home and pay more attention to my surroundings. Flying at 400' max it's not hard to get down quickly, and look up, and at this point that's good enough...

With mandatory line of site and such a low flight ceiling, the requirements for the professional level of data you mention seems like it might be beyond the scope of what's going to be given priority.

I think you said it best: "Actual ADS-B recievers in aircraft".

Hal, I think you misunderstand a little bit. Autel does not have to invent the wheel here. ADSB broadcasts all that info right now. Autel has to do nothing except compare the coordinate of the aircraft to your position, which it is doing all ready. And then pass on the other metrics via a text on the pop-up. There is no other "evolution" in the technology that needs to happen other than they would have to compare the coordinate to your position to determine which direction to look in my example. Autel software dudes just need to pass through the data all ready available to their app.

Have you ever had a look at Flightradar24.com (or their app) ? That is the data that is available to anyone with any kind of ADSB receiver. Having it displayed real pretty with pictures and graphics takes more work. But passing on the text of the data, not so much.

I don't have a DJI craft that has ADSB-in, but if it is that poor too, there in no real need to compare to it, really, IMO.

If they (Autel or DJI) advertise "ADS-B IN alerts" then I think they should relay all the info that the FAA has put into the broadcasts. Not just "there is a plane somewhere in your area" type of message. The reason I say it is probably worse than nothing is that if you get that message 100 times and you never see an aircraft any of those times, you will not see the message the 101st time and that's the one maybe you needed to see. "more data" is not the same as "good data". It's not my intent to argue or put down yours or other's opinions. If you are happy with "aircraft approaching" when all of the other data is so redily available at no extra cost and minimal effort, that's okay too. I, personally, am not too impressed.

Hal, I think you misunderstand a little bit. Autel does not have to invent the wheel here. ADSB broadcasts all that info right now. Autel has to do nothing except compare the coordinate of the aircraft to your position, which it is doing all ready. And then pass on the other metrics via a text on the pop-up. There is no other "evolution" in the technology that needs to happen other than they would have to compare the coordinate to your position to determine which direction to look in my example. Autel software dudes just need to pass through the data all ready available to their app.

Have you ever had a look at Flightradar24.com (or their app) ? That is the data that is available to anyone with any kind of ADSB receiver. Having it displayed real pretty with pictures and graphics takes more work. But passing on the text of the data, not so much.

I don't have a DJI craft that has ADSB-in, but if it is that poor too, there in no real need to compare to it, really, IMO.

If they (Autel or DJI) advertise "ADS-B IN alerts" then I think they should relay all the info that the FAA has put into the broadcasts. Not just "there is a plane somewhere in your area" type of message. The reason I say it is probably worse than nothing is that if you get that message 100 times and you never see an aircraft any of those times, you will not see the message the 101st time and that's the one maybe you needed to see. "more data" is not the same as "good data". It's not my intent to argue or put down yours or other's opinions. If you are happy with "aircraft approaching" when all of the other data is so redily available at no extra cost and minimal effort, that's okay too. I, personally, am not too impressed.
Fair enough, I'd like more information, and for that information to be smart... Show me where the plane is in relation to the dron position and offer me the option for more detailed stats.
When I say evolve, I mean Autel's implementation of ADS-B, not ADS-B itself. Right now... it's a blinking warning. I agree, I think they can do better than that.

On the DJI FPV drone, it actually puts an arrow on the display pointing in the direction of the approaching aircraft relative to the drone's location.

Reactions: loyukfai
On the DJI FPV drone, it actually puts an arrow on the display pointing in the direction of the approaching aircraft relative to the drone's location.
On the Air 2s, you get an airplane icon with direction in relation to you and the drone, with live movement updates.

Ok, I've officially seen it work... and it WORKS... picked up airport traffic from 20 miles away... Thats about 19.5 miles further than my DJI Air 2S picks up airtraffic.
I'm officially impressed... shows aircraft position and heading. Also shows different messages based on aircraft proximity along with changes to the map icons that show air traffic.

Vide
o shows a close plan I tracked visually and showed on the the map as well. Long video, but impressive as I zoom further and further out showing more and more planes in the air.

I did watch. The reason I take it back is that a simple "aircraft approaching..." pop up in camera view is sufficient if all you have to do is toggle to map view to visualize the target(s).

I also didn't realize that you are a neighbor !

I did watch. The reason I take it back is that a simple "aircraft approaching..." pop up in camera view is sufficient if all you have to do is toggle to map view to visualize the target(s).

I also didn't realize that you are a neighbor !
Yea, I thought about that... should I post a video that SHOWS my location, but I think for me specifically... that cat is long out of the bag... so.... Yea. Maple Valley

Ok, I've officially seen it work... and it WORKS... picked up airport traffic from 20 miles away... Thats about 19.5 miles further than my DJI Air 2S picks up airtraffic.
I'm officially impressed... shows aircraft position and heading. Also shows different messages based on aircraft proximity along with changes to the map icons that show air traffic.

Vide
o shows a close plan I tracked visually and showed on the the map as well. Long video, but impressive as I zoom further and further out showing more and more planes in the air.
@halzucati
When you were catching the other aircraft do you remember if the SC was Connected via WiFi, also were there any other settings you were using.

I plan on testing my E2PE this morning to check out the ADSB Map view.

Thanks

@halzucati
When you were catching the other aircraft do you remember if the SC was Connected via WiFi, also were there any other settings you were using.

Thanks
Not sure on the Wifi... good question.. I'll test that further.
No other settings... just turned on the controller and it did it's thing... are there settings you're thinking of I could check?

@halzucati

Thanks
How'd it go?

Vide
Very impressive halzucati, actually looking forward to having ADS-B.

One question if you can answer, when reviewing flight history. Will it show the same air traffic in flight history as you viewed during the flight?

Definitely a neat feature, very impressive!
Paul

Very impressive halzucati, actually looking forward to having ADS-B.

One question if you can answer, when reviewing flight history. Will it show the same air traffic in flight history as you viewed during the flight?

Definitely a neat feature, very impressive!
Paul
Don't know... let me check
Nope, not recorded in flight log.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Waldo Pepper
Thanks for checking halzucati, I can see this probably added onto future SmartControllers retaining aircraft flight history. But that will be way down the road, thanks again for checking.

Reactions: Deleted member 8818
Responsible and good pilots should not have to depend on this feature or collision avoidance.
There's alot of responsible and good pilots whose final flight was the subject of.a major NTSB investigation. Just a token of advice, I could never measure up to even half as perfect as you seem to be. Us lowly humans are just so flawed. But, if you keep assuming that us mere mortals could ever live up to the standard of perfection that you display I fear that you may overlook our destiny for chaos and become the innocent bystander that pays the high price when you accidentally are caught up in one of our flawed failures because you assumed we could be so perfect as you.

You should be cautious. For most of us, **** happens every day. But, that's how life as a peasant goes I suppose. G'day mi'Lord!

ADS-B alerts .. Looks great on the video -- Is that ONLY for Enterprise Versions ?? I have a stock 8K EVOII & SmartController -- I looked around the AUTEL EXPLORER APP but could not find it to activate in the menus. So I opened a Support ticket with Autel, but I've not heard anything back from them. -- ADS-B would be a nice feature to have shown right on controllers while one is flying. --

ADS-B alerts .. Looks great on the video -- Is that ONLY for Enterprise Versions ?? I have a stock 8K EVOII & SmartController -- I looked around the AUTEL EXPLORER APP but could not find it to activate in the menus. So I opened a Support ticket with Autel, but I've not heard anything back from them. -- ADS-B would be a nice feature to have shown right on controllers while one is flying. --
@jorgedlt, it works for the Enterprise only.

Martyc6 Thanks - Please educate me, I thought Autel only has ONE APP ... is the AUTEL EXPLORER different for AUTEL Enterprise vs PRO ??

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juan.t