Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

ADS-B - Anyone See This Work Yet?

• Thread starter Deleted member 8818
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 8818

I'm in an area with multiple small airports, and with my DJI Air 2s I regularly get ADS-B airplane notifications which show the plane, heading and warning.

So far, same area, same planes, no warnings on the Autel Evo II Enterprise? Is this something that's supposed to be enabled, or will be enabled, or is only enabled by doing something?

Or is this one of the many things I've seen advertised (Like 16x zoom) that have not been created, enabled or fixed in the current round of App/Firmware?

Looking for guidance and experience with this.

@Blade Strike - Thoughts?
@advexure - Thoughts?

- Hal

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Martyc6
I was in a semi-congested area today and there were zero ADS-B reports from the smart controller. This was especially problematic as I had a helicopter come out of nowhere only about 50 ft higher than my drone. :oops:

I'm in an area with multiple small airports, and with my DJI Air 2s I regularly get ADS-B airplane notifications which show the plane, heading and warning.

So far, same area, same planes, no warnings on the Autel Evo II Enterprise? Is this something that's supposed to be enabled, or will be enabled, or is only enabled by doing something?

Or is this one of the many things I've seen advertised (Like 16x zoom) that have not been created, enabled or fixed in the current round of App/Firmware?

Looking for guidance and experience with this.

@Blade Strike - Thoughts?
@advexure - Thoughts?

- Hal

Well, you got a sticker. Isn't that enough? Just kidding. We as customers are often reminded that we should make purchase decisions based on what the package says it has when we buy it and don't assume things will be added later. Unfortunately, manufacturers don't always play the same game and make some assumptions themselves about what they will do. I'm not specifically talking about this feature. Just features in general. I hope there is a simple toggle somewhere that will get that working for you.

Not available yet. future upgrade

Ok, I get that, but advertising it as a feature without saying that it will be "enabled in the future" or "capable" or something else that says they built it into the hardware but have not got the firmware and software ready to go yet is bordering on false advertising... If I was depending on this to work, and it didn't and there was a crash... seems like a pretty big liability hole to leave open just for a marketing point.

Ok, I get that, but advertising it as a feature without saying that it will be "enabled in the future" or "capable" or something else that says they built it into the hardware but have not got the firmware and software ready to go yet is bordering on false advertising... If I was depending on this to work, and it didn't and there was a crash... seems like a pretty big liability hole to leave open just for a marketing point.
Early video did say that this was not available at the moment but would be in the near future. i tried to find the video but they are not longer available.

Early video did say that this was not available at the moment but would be in the near future. i tried to find the video but they are not longer available.
Well that's something then. Cool. Thanks for the update. I'll keep my eye out for that update.

As mentioned in this thread, we are all waiting on Autel to "flip a switch" to enable the ADS-B in the next firmware update. Certainly not ideal to have the function trailing behind, but OK as long we aren't waiting on the edge of our seats much longer!

I sort of remember DJI having this same thing (not that it makes it ok!) when the M2E originally. I don't think ADS-B receiving was available right away.

Let's see that firmware update soon! 👍

Responsible and good pilots should not have to depend on this feature or collision avoidance.
Sure, and responsible drivers should not have to depend on seatbelts for body retention during an automobile crash.
Seriously, it's a safety feature. Don't be obtuse. And more than that customers paid for it, and have not yet received it.
To use the same analogy, you've purchased a car, but the seatbelts won't get installed until... ? Go ahead and enjoy your drive now.

How do you get into it? I looked for it yesterday but couldn’t find it.
I didn't do anything to get into it. I updated firmware on Monday and when I flew the past 2 days it was working, notifying me of other aircraft in the area.

I updated the other day. Didn’t see anything. What does it look like on the screen?

Just an alert popped up on the lower left corner of the display. Said something like "Aircraft approaching in the area, use caution" I'll try to get a screen shot next time.

I have on mine... same as others.. black message window flashes when airplanes approach... some that I haven't heard yet, but most have been visually confirmable when the message displays... no indication on the map window as to the plan position.

Could be better, and more informational, but I'll take it.

Could be better, and more informational, but I'll take it.
Actual ADS-B receivers in aircraft show position, reported altitude, speed and heading of other aircraft within a definable radius. "caution, aircraft approaching" is actually probably worse than nothing from an aviator's perspective.

The information from the ADS-B transmitters contain all of the metrics I listed. Autel can do better with presenting the data in a useful format. For example. The alert could say "aircraft approaching from the East, @ 7 miles out; 1200' agl; 125 knots;"
That would be helpful!

I now have it. But like D. Pitman said having it is probably worse. Definitely could use more data.
Maybe in a future update.

Actual ADS-B receivers in aircraft show position, reported altitude, speed and heading of other aircraft within a definable radius. "caution, aircraft approaching" is actually probably worse than nothing from an aviator's perspective.

The information from the ADS-B transmitters contain all of the metrics I listed. Autel can do better with presenting the data in a useful format. For example. The alert could say "aircraft approaching from the East, @ 7 miles out; 1200' agl; 125 knots;"
That would be helpful!
Sure, I get that, what I'm saying is that it only has an Icon in DJI drones with this feature, and no info... I'm not dissagreeing with you, I'm just being pragmatic.
At some point this tech may evolve into more real and practical aircraft, but now, while things are evolving, I'm not surprised nor hampered by how things are.

Letting me know that an aircraft is within range of the reciever is a start. I can drop altitude, return to home and pay more attention to my surroundings. Flying at 400' max it's not hard to get down quickly, and look up, and at this point that's good enough...

With mandatory line of site and such a low flight ceiling, the requirements for the professional level of data you mention seems like it might be beyond the scope of what's going to be given priority.

I think you said it best: "Actual ADS-B recievers in aircraft".

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rudymuller