Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

900mhz removal

Jagerbomb52

Reaction score
Right from Autel.

"
Andrew AR
We have spent considerable time and engineering efforts to enhance and refine the automatic channel switching on the 2.4GHz frequency. Numerous range tests and a vigorous quality assurance process has been taken to ensure the signal is strong, reliable and can achieve the full range of 7KM in ideal conditions.

The 900MHz frequency is used by Emergency Services in some European countries. This decision was made to help open up sales internationally for the future. We feel confident that this minor change will not affect the performance of EVO and will open the door for new pilots globally."

Right from Autel.

"
Andrew AR
We have spent considerable time and engineering efforts to enhance and refine the automatic channel switching on the 2.4GHz frequency. Numerous range tests and a vigorous quality assurance process has been taken to ensure the signal is strong, reliable and can achieve the full range of 7KM in ideal conditions.

The 900MHz frequency is used by Emergency Services in some European countries. This decision was made to help open up sales internationally for the future. We feel confident that this minor change will not affect the performance of EVO and will open the door for new pilots globally."

When a company like Autel does things like this only in the interest of sales, it is a definite NEGATIVE in my book. It would be possible for them to market a Version of the EVO in Europe without the 900mhz frequency, but leave it alone in the USA.

So far from the video reviews I've seen, I think I'll be hanging on to my cash and NOT PURCHASE the EVO. I'll continue to fly the X-Star Premium until Autel discontinues support for it, which will be the lack of batteries on the market.

With a number of So-So reviews floating around on YouTube, I'll stay where I'm at. Personally, I don't see Autel Surviving in the Drone Market. Mark my words, DJI will be popping out a new drone soon and it will probably be better than the EVO and that will KILL the sales for Autel. To bad!

When a company like Autel does things like this only in the interest of sales, it is a definite NEGATIVE in my book. It would be possible for them to market a Version of the EVO in Europe without the 900mhz frequency, but leave it alone in the USA.

So far from the video reviews I've seen, I think I'll be hanging on to my cash and NOT PURCHASE the EVO. I'll continue to fly the X-Star Premium until Autel discontinues support for it, which will be the lack of batteries on the market.

With a number of So-So reviews floating around on YouTube, I'll stay where I'm at. Personally, I don't see Autel Surviving in the Drone Market. Mark my words, DJI will be popping out a new drone soon and it will probably be better than the EVO and that will KILL the sales for Autel. To bad!

Yeah this really doesn't make a lot of sense, and this opens them to FTC action seeing as they allowed pre-orders with one spec on their site and delivered another. Pretty sure that's cut and dry false advertising. I don't remember if they listed the case on the site. And since this thing has all sorts of geo location abilities they could have had it turn on without the 900mhz and then if it is in a huge geo coordinate box covering the US and Canada it could turn in the 900mhz radios.

This whole launch is generating ill will and distrust in their most likely buyers.

I've been wanting a EVO since a week after CES. DJI history with Android and customer service leave me flat. If Parrot were to offer a Anafi "Pro" with obstacle avoidance, I think I'd be done with the Evo.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jagerbomb52
I am leaning to the Anafi without obstacle avoidance as there are a lot of posts on on the parrot site about how most don't use it on their DJI products unless you are a first time user, its kind of like training wheels.

The higher price tag for the EVO and Autels past history will be big factor in my decision making. What someone has available to spend has considerable influence on their purchasing decisions. If the less expensive product offers photo quality similar or equal to the more expensive product, many will go with the least expensive. Of course accessory prices for things like batteries will influence that decision.

Reactions: HiloHawaiian
I am leaning to the Anafi without obstacle avoidance as there are a lot of posts on on the parrot site about how most don't use it on their DJI products unless you are a first time user, its kind of like training wheels.

The higher price tag for the EVO and Autels past history will be big factor in my decision making. What someone has available to spend has considerable influence on their purchasing decisions. If the less expensive product offers photo quality similar or equal to the more expensive product, many will go with the least expensive. Of course accessory prices for things like batteries will influence that decision.
Yea, what he said. The increased flight time and range are factors too, but 699 to 999 should buy me more than the EVO currently seems to offer. I’m still on the fence, I want to see a few comprehensive EVO/Anafi camera & flight tests...

The range is a big question. Clearly it's possible to get 7km with only 2.4GHz, just not with WiFi.
I'm really curious to see the real world range test.

Can someone please explain to me what the big deal is with having or not having 900mhz as a frequency? I get it longer distances, better signal.

What I don't understand is if the EVO came with both frequencies why would using it in Europeans countries matter if they already use 900mhz.

Regardless if emergency response use it, should it really matter on the drone if they use it as well? Wouldn't you drones feq be set to the controller and not interfere as would a 2.4mhz feq.

Thanks

Can someone please explain to me what the big deal is with having or not having 900mhz as a frequency? I get it longer distances, better signal.

What I don't understand is if the EVO came with both frequencies why would using it in Europeans countries matter if they already use 900mhz.

Regardless if emergency response use it, should it really matter on the drone if they use it as well? Wouldn't you drones feq be set to the controller and not interfere as would a 2.4mhz feq.

Thanks
I am no radio expert, but I think it is because 900 mhz band are fixed frequencies. Whereas 2.4ghz and 5.8ghz are auto switching frequencies!

Someone else care to chime in here!

Thanks

There are a couple of different factors at play. 900 MHz signals travel different than 2.4 GHz, in particular it bounce and penetrates physical obstacles. So while 900 MHz has lower bandwidth capabilities it is more reliable in many ways.

But the European versus North American frequency restrictions are an entirely different matter. Both regions have their own set of reserved frequencies. These frequencies are reserved to ensure that there is not signal overlap or interference at the most basic level. Some frequencies are reserved for special purpose (Military, EMS, Air Traffic Control, etc..).

The simple fact that is not commonly understood is that whatever transmitter gets the strongest signal to the receiver wins. So a 2 watt hand held RC controller will beat a 50K watt transmitter if the 2 watt transmitter is close enough to the receiver to be a higher power signal in the last meters to the antenna.

The vast majority of the RF spectrum is licensed by the NTIA,

Thanks

The main way you deconflict users is by restrictions on who is allowed to transmit at a given frequency.

The 2.4&5.8 GHz bands are exceptions in that they are allowed for any device as long as it stays below certain power limits. Virtually all other frequency bands require an NTIA license.

The 900MHz band is also open in the US, commonly for cordless phones, but is licensed in the UK. Licensed users are typically given a fixed frequency and bandwidth at a particular transmit location. Frequency hopping is really only used in the unlicensed spectrum where you can't guarantee a clean signal.

As an example, if you have 10 users, the simplest thing is to give each person their own channel. This is how RC aircraft used to operate, with channel boards to make sure they're aren't conflicts. It works great if you can control access.

The 2.4/5.8 use frequency hopping to make sure you don't accidentally get stepped on, at least some of the time. The frequency hopping is less consistent (because some frequencies get interference), but much more robust to uncontrolled users. The spreadspectrum frequency hopping also allows for a much stronger transmit power than a narrow band.

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials