Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

800M to 500M

Ianodp

Reaction score
Hi all
looking for a simple answer hopefully ... One of the main reasons I purchased the evo was its ability to fly up to 800m (mainly for flying in the mountains of Scotland).
I certainly used to be able to achieve 800m but sadly now only reaching 500m !!
not sure if if it’s a firmware update that has caused this or some other reason
all help gratefully received

I stewart

Yes, and what is shocking. Estimate yourself still happy that there is still 500 m of ceiling.
If Autel wanted to apply the rules of the countries, at home it would be "You must always keep your drone in view. You must not exceed an altitude of 120m (400ft) You must keep a distance of 50m (150ft) with individuals and properties etc ... "
The day when manufacturers apply the regulations of the countries in which the aircraft flies, there will be teeth grinding.

If you are on Android, just revert back to a previous Explorer app version. The limitation isn't firmware based, but rather software based that won't allow you to enter anything higher than 500 as the ceiling.

Reactions: butch
Bad, very Bad
This is what you put in your head and this is not true.
In all the regulations, it is from the takeoff point.

"Regulatory altitude
You can easily see it, by the aerodynamics, the capacities of almost any radio controlled drone are largely sufficient in the context of recreational use, even in sport mode. But the regulations concerning the drone impose a maximum elevation of 150 m or less depending on the country from the take-off point. In addition, aviation security prohibits overflying certain areas, such as:

Urban areas,

Different sensitive sites: aerodrome, nuclear power plant, military terrain, etc. "

Bad, very Bad
This is what you put in your head and this is not true.
In all the regulations, it is from the takeoff point.

"Regulatory altitude
You can easily see it, by the aerodynamics, the capacities of almost any radio controlled drone are largely sufficient in the context of recreational use, even in sport mode. But the regulations concerning the drone impose a maximum elevation of 150 m or less depending on the country from the take-off point. In addition, aviation security prohibits overflying certain areas, such as:

Urban areas,

Different sensitive sites: aerodrome, nuclear power plant, military terrain, etc. "
As a Part 107 Certification here in the US, you are allowed to fly 120m above and from the sides of a building which is taller than the 120m AGL.
A-Drone-Pilots-Guide-to-Surveying-a-Tower.jpg

I speak only as Leisure.
And in Europe No. And in six months, the altitude will drop from 150m to 120m.

To be clear that is 400' AGL or above a structure: not from takeoff point.
This is true because if you are flying up a grade like a mountain and you maintained your 400 ft from take off you'd fly into the mountain. It is AGL including structures.
Same goes for leisure or part 107.

Reactions: parkgt
From the current FAA recreational Dashboard:
Fly your drone at or below 400 feet above the ground when in uncontrolled (Class G) airspace.

Reactions: rkyleh and Tufargon
@claudius62 lives in France and their rules are much different then North America rules and they are going to get a lot tougher in the coming months. Understanding different country rules is very hard. I try to research rules in the UK and Europe and depending where the person lives rules change.
Perhaps he was only relaying what he knows about his rules.

Reactions: Tufargon and parkgt
Also, if you are not Part 107 Certified, you are not allowed to fly above 400' AGL from take off, no matter what.

You may want to double check that Ansia. Like I said. If you are flying up a mountain side you are allowed to keep 400 ft above the ground. The picture you posted above also applies to the ground.

You may want to double check that Ansia. Like I said. If you are flying up a mountain side you are allowed to keep 400 ft above the ground. The picture you posted above also applies to the ground.
The picture I posted above is from guidelines when you are studying for Part 107. For recreational pilots, you have a 400' hard limit you may not cross, does not matter if you are going up a mountain.

Edit: Just rechecked the regulations on the FAA page. You are right. You can go up a mountain as long as you stay within 400' of the ground. You cannot, however fly over buildings taller than 400'.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tufargon
The picture I posted above is from guidelines when you are studying for Part 107. For recreational pilots, you have a 400' hard limit you may not cross, does not matter if you are going up a mountain.

Edit: Just rechecked the regulations on the FAA page. You are right. You can go up a mountain as long as you stay within 400' of the ground. You cannot, however fly over buildings taller than 400'.
I am Superman. I just leap them in a single bound! LOL

• Haha
Reactions: Ansia
This is the way it is written for our laws here in Canada. It does not matter if you have a Basic or a Advanced certificate.

Maximum Altitude
  • 901.25 (1) Subject to subsection (2), no pilot shall operate a remotely piloted aircraft at an altitude greater than
    • (a) 400 feet (122 m) AGL; or
    • (b) 100 feet (30 m) above any building or structure, if the aircraft is being operated at a distance of less than 200 feet (61 m), measured horizontally, from the building or structure.

Ansia said "Claudius62 lives in France" ............
And believe me, we're not spoiled.
With the ceiling at 150m (soon 120m), there are all the limitations (sometimes abusive) that are added to the map of France.
Red: The drone looks you straight in the eye saying to yourself, you are not allowed to fly.
Yellow: the ceiling drops to 100 m
etc ... See the colors below.
There are departments where you cannot fly or the ceiling is 50m.

Zone Drone.JPGCouleur Zones.JPG

IT IS NOT BEAUTIFUL FRANCE !!! oops.gif

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: Tufargon and Ansia
Haven't tried it (yet) but I imagine if you fly with the just the controller and no other device running the Explorer App then you could achieve any altitude and only limited by the aircraft's actual service ceiling. If you try this just be mindful of the battery time it will take for the aircraft to safely descend back to the ground. Once you're far enough away from home (or the ground) and the battery runs out then it becomes a rock.

Guys, sorry, my personal consideration. I also didn't like AUTEL's choice to lower the maximum altitude level from 800 meters to 500 meters.
It's not a moral issue, but it's definitely not a legitimacy issue
It seems to me that both the altitude of 800 meters and that of 500 meters are however not allowed. And I don't think anywhere in the world 500 meters above sea level is less legal than 800 meters. They are however illegal.
There are many "pilots" who constantly violate the rules of flight, but not only in height, but also in distance and flying over urban areas or areas that are not allowed; but, in my opinion, it would be right to leave the choice to the user. Why are we shocked if someone says that it is not fair to have reduced the altitude from 800 meters to 500 meters and, instead, nobody is scandalized when ALL the drone manufacturers advertise that their products reach kilometers away? (DJI, AUTEL ROBOTICS, HUBSAN, FIMI etc. etc.).
My opinions, very personal.

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ScottD