Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

8-bit A-log

Status
Not open for further replies.

Micander

Reaction score
Hi,

i just record the first few clips with the Evo and am happy so far. But even the log profile produces 8-bit clips. I found no setting for recording at 10 bit color depth. Am i just too crap to find it or isn't there any setting?

Mic

HECV (H265) supports 10 bit color and is far superior at compressed video than the aging H264 codec. Whether or not the Autel products take advantage of the 10 bit capabilities the codec has many advantages over H264. Run your own test and let your senses tell you if the H265 100 bit recording give you a superior image.

I could not find a definitive answer for 10 bit, but the data on the superiority of the HEVC codec is unquestionable.

I could not find a definitive answer for 10 bit, but the data on the superiority of the HEVC codec is unquestionable.

I'm using h.265 - the only reason i could imagine you should still use h.264 is if your computer is on the slower side. But i still can't figure out why the Evo is recording in 8 bit. Drives me crazy. Don't get me wrong, the footage is still very good - but Autel promised 10 bit and i can't figure out how to get it. I wrote to support, but since it's the weekend i don't think they'll answer until tomorrow.

I don't own the Evo II, so I cannot speak for it, but this is not the first time Autel has said their drone does 10-bit. They said the same with the Evo 1. Turns out the processor is 10-bit capable, but I have yet to achieve or see anyone with one.

I don't want to point fingers as long as i have no answer from support. My guess is i just don't find the setting.

I checked all of my previously recorded files and the edit software that I use (FCPX and Resolve) report the files as 8bit.

The drone does a 100 megabit per second recording. What is true is that the H265 (HEVC) codec is much more efficient and greatly improved over the aging H264 codec. So for the 100mbps recording it stands to reason that you will get a higher quality recording using H265.

If you are having trouble playing back H265, try a lower frame rate recording. 60 fps uses significantly more processing power than 24 fps. Some people even like the cinematic look of 24 fps.

Satisfy yourself by testing a few recordings to see what you like best and what your system will tolerate. This should be enjoyable and if the technological struggles make it less than enjoyable, maybe making a few adjustments will restore the joy.

Enjoy people!

What I have enjoyed is 120fps at 1080p recording flowing water. It looks so good you want to take a spoonful. :)

Satisfy yourself by testing a few recordings to see what you like best and what your system will tolerate.

Well, my system tolerates pretty much everything i can throw at it and i'm happy with the 8-bit footage. But i paid for 10-bit and i need it. So they better have a good answer.

Reactions: parkgt
I asked them if it had 10 bit color on IG when they announced it. They responded that it did. I wonder if they planned on 10 bit but couldn't make it work? I doubt that 100Mbps in 4K allows for 10 bit color.

100MBit/s has to be enough. Mavic 2P can do it. The Evo even has 120 MBit/s. But the fast they didn't answer by now could mean they are plain out lying on their page. Evo 2 can not do 10 bit colordepth.

If DJI is squeezing 10 bits per channel into 100Mbps at 4K, it's gotta be at the lower end of 10 bit, but ok. I still wouldn't touch a DJI drone, regardless.

Reactions: dronographer
If DJI is squeezing 10 bits per channel into 100Mbps at 4K, it's gotta be at the lower end of 10 bit, but ok. I still wouldn't touch a DJI drone, regardless.

I wanted to buy something better than DJI this time just to realize Autel lies and isn't even capable of doing 10 bits at all. Terribly disappointed.

I'm still more than fine with EVO. My clients can't tell the difference between 8 bit and 10 bit as much as I would love 10 bit. The EXP curves on EVO are unsuitable for video so if they are lying about 10 bit color, I will continue exploring other aircraft.

Mine paid for my E2P!

Come on, you could have done that with any decent drone.

I just had a chat with the support. As soon as i asked about the 10-bit log there wasn't an answer anymore. Jesus... i thought buying from an american company would be the right thing... man, was i naive!

Reactions: parkgt and San2C
An American company owned by a Chinese company. And their EXP curves are shite.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xander0791