Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

15% Battery Force Landing

My thoughts exactly. The Mavic 2 can still be flown for two more minutes after reaching 0%, and even then, only enters truly forced descent after the lowest cell voltage drops below 3.0V. EVO's 8% truly forced landing severely limits the ability to recover the aircraft when flying back over water or unretrievable terrain, if the wind shifts, or you lingered too long at your destination, caught up in the moment. It also means your realistic EVO flight times are reduced by another 8%.
You mean you get 2 extra minutes after battery % gets to 0? My Phantom autolands at 10%.

You mean you get 2 extra minutes after battery % gets to 0? My Phantom autolands at 10%.
Yes, 2+ minutes of flight time past 0% on Mavic 2's. Even after the truly forced descent, it still flies, but it is descending while flying thereafter, so you need plenty of altitude, to allow for the forced descent, before you eventually run into the ground or land. Ask me how I know! :rolleyes: Mavic 2 really has taken flight safety to another level. I have no qualms landing between 0% and 10%, because I know there is still plenty of juice left in the tank, if you know how to use it safely from experience!

Last edited:
Yes, 2+ minutes of flight time past 0% on Mavic 2's. Even after the truly forced descent, it still flies, but it is descending while flying thereafter, so you need plenty of altitude, to allow for the forced descent, before you eventually run into the ground or land. Ask me how I know! :rolleyes:
No need. The Evo should do the same. I haven't tested as my low battery warning is set at 45%.

No need. The Evo should do the same. I haven't tested as my low battery warning is set at 45%.
If you mean the EVO will perform at 8% the same way the Mavic 2 does below 0% when the lowest cell voltage drops below 3.0V, in that it will fly until it runs into the ground from the descent, it likely will. I've never tested it on the EVO. However, postponing that uncancellable descent until 2 minutes after reaching 0% is far better than initiating it at 8% on the EVO.

If you mean the EVO will perform at 8% the same way the Mavic 2 does below 0% when the lowest cell voltage drops below 3.0V, in that it will fly until it runs into the ground from the descent, it likely will. I've never tested it on the EVO. However, postponing that uncancellable descent until 2 minutes after reaching 0% is far better than initiating it at 8% on the EVO.
Pushing the limits like that is like playing with fire. I admire you for doing it, but you won't find me flying below 10%.

Pushing the limits like that is like playing with fire. I admire you for doing it, but you won't find me flying below 10%.
I wouldn't be doing it, other than I already did the testing and post mortem analysis personally (unwillingly!)! Already got burned by the fire, but it was a very educational learning experience. Knowing the real limits gives me the experience and confidence to take it to as low as 0%, if absolutely necessary, without any panic, while still having a full 2+ minute additional flight cushion. My goal is to land between 5 and 10%. Below 10%, it does handle differently. The expo settings seem to be ignored, but, while landing, I'm not concerned about cinematic results— just getting it within reach to handcatch! You also have to wait through the giant black box covering all FPV at 10%, when it announces it will commence landing in 10 seconds with a countdown to 0 seconds. However, it then clears the screen, giving you full FPV thereafter. Not for the feint of heart! I also make sure to ascend to the height I need to clear all obstacles between me and the drone before 10%, (I use 75 feet, so I can clearly see it above me during the last 200 feet away, and begin releasing the descent, as I bring it in on a straight glide path to me visually) because while you can cancel the forced descent with the left stick, the ability to ascend with full left stick is very limited in speed below 10%, but it does still work! The Mavic 2 landing lights are very helpful to find the drone in the sky, and easy to turn on, if the drone location is not immediately apparent, when looking up. YMMV! ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Ansia
I have my rth set at 50%. This ensures me I'll be at storage voltage by the time it lands. If I need a few more minutes of flight time, I'll cancel rth. I have batteries that are 4 years old, and still above 90% health. Stressed batteries don't last as long.

Flight planning should be the #1 thing a pilot does. If you continually find yourself caught by surprise, you should re-think how you're doing things.

Another really good rule of thumb, is NOT to fly out on a long mission, with the wind at your back. You're asking to run out of battery, before making it back. Approach from the opposite direction, or cut your mission length by 50%. If you continually flirt with disaster, it's only a matter of time, before you're going to learn an expensive lesson.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aerugo