Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Work Flow, Choosing music first then editing to it.

Props McGavin

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Hi all,

Im new to droning and editing and have found the best way for to me to piece together a video is to start with the music first. Obviously I shoot all the footage first and choose a something that I think will work. Ive found it gives me a story line to structure my editing from if that makes sense. Does anyone else do this?

Wondering how you each go about editing with music.

Cheers

Richard

You are definitely on the right track. No pun intended.
I started doing videos in 1989 and have purchased a lot of Buy Out Music as well as gleaned what I could from the Internet in the public domain. I've listened to every track dozens to even a hundred times over the years and often that process itself will help me build a story line before I even go out on a shoot. Sometimes a particular music track will even determine how I want to shoot some scenes for matching the music or establishing the perfect transition timing.

Music can make or break a production. Yet it is often the last thing a beginning videographer/editor considers when putting together his or her work flow and shot list. I have often booted iTunes and hit the first song on my library playlist and let it run through everything I have while I'm doing other work on the computer. And magically a particular piece that seemed to have potential suddenly strikes me as an appropriate track for something new I had in mind. Write it down quick; those fleeting moments disappear fast.

Editing to the music can be fun when timing scenes and transitions to the beat or mood of the tempo....or frustrating when you realize that you just didn't shoot enough of this or that shot to fill in the blanks. (I try to have a five to ten second buffer on each end of a shot.) That's why I try to consider the type of music that will ultimately be used on the project first and let that guide me when developing my shot list. Better to have too much that not enough.

The real magic is when you reach the level where you can transition from one track to the next as smoothly as you do a cross fade. :)

GoPro has an interesting app called Quik. It’s free and works on the iPad and I think Android. Just add a few video clips and stills in the rough order you like and the app edits them to music that comes with it. You don’t have much control, but some of the effects and styles are amazing. I play with it a lot. Evo footage works fine. My wife also has a library of copyright free music which I can use for more serious stuff.

Reactions: Props McGavin
GoPro has an interesting app called Quik. It’s free and works on the iPad and I think Android. Just add a few video clips and stills in the rough order you like and the app edits them to music that comes with it. You don’t have much control, but some of the effects and styles are amazing. I play with it a lot. Evo footage works fine. My wife also has a library of copyright free music which I can use for more serious stuff.

How do you get it to use the Autel video files? I thought it only allowed videos or pictures from a GoPro camera.
Would be great if it did indeed work with our files.

Reactions: Nightbat2
How do you get it to use the Autel video files? I thought it only allowed videos or pictures from a GoPro camera.
Would be great if it did indeed work with our files.
I just transfer the Evo video to the iPad photo file, then. trim The ones I want in iMovi,select them in Quik and chose the style. You can fiddle around a bit, but it does the work.Just a bit of fun, really.

I just transfer the Evo video to the iPad photo file, then. trim The ones I want in iMovi,select them in Quik and chose the style. You can fiddle around a bit, but it does the work.Just a bit of fun, really.

Ah ok so its kind of a work around for the program to see the file. There is a desktop version but it will not see the video files unless it comes from a GoPro camera. Lots of people are pretty mad about that.

Ah ok so its kind of a work around for the program to see the file. There is a desktop version but it will not see the video files unless it comes from a GoPro camera. Lots of people are pretty mad about that.
Quik can read any video or still I have saved to the iPad’s photo file. No problems at all, though I haven’t yet tried 4k/60fps. Only reason I trim them in iMovie is because untrimmed they would be way too long. I’ll probably use a few, along with straight video, on a website I am building to promote our area.

I was just reading over this post in the GoPro forums for the desktop version. No go with that version.

I don’t regard it as a serious editing app-more of a quick clip solution. iMovie is my editor at the moment (my Mac died and so that’s all I have on the iPad). I’ve replaced the Mac with a relatively cheap Lenovo but still looking for a Windows 10 video editor.

I don’t regard it as a serious editing app-more of a quick clip solution. iMovie is my editor at the moment (my Mac died and so that’s all I have on the iPad). I’ve replaced the Mac with a relatively cheap Lenovo but still looking for a Windows 10 video editor.
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Resolve has a free version of Resolve. It's a bit of a learning curve, but YouTube is your friend. It will handle anything you through it. Hollywood uses the color panel, but the editor has made major headway the last couple of years. Version 16 is available now... FREE!. The studio version is $299, but you don't need that to do standard editing, titles and audio work. The studio version is for professionals who need collaboration, advanced noise reduction and a few other tools that most of us cutting drone videos can live without.

Oh, and it's macOS, Windows and Linex compatible.

Reactions: Trox and Nightbat2
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Resolve has a free version of Resolve. It's a bit of a learning curve, but YouTube is your friend. It will handle anything you through it. Hollywood uses the color panel, but the editor has made major headway the last couple of years. Version 16 is available now... FREE!. The studio version is $299, but you don't need that to do standard editing, titles and audio work. The studio version is for professionals who need collaboration, advanced noise reduction and a few other tools that most of us cutting drone videos can live without.

Oh, and it's macOS, Windows and Linex compatible.
Thanks. Will have a look. My bigger problem at the moment is trying to find a way to put videos onto a website I am building, without getting “suggested” or “related” videos when the one I want to use finishes playing. Other than looping, or paying a small fortune for hosting, I’d be grateful for any advice or suggestions. Used to be possible on YouTube and Vimeo with some of the Wordpress plug-ins, but no longer...

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aerugo