Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

What's Your Second Drone and Why? What Complements the Evo?

The 900 MHz is in the EVO, at least from all the FCC documentation that I have seen. I cannot find any update Docs stating it was updated and removed. I know Autel offers it to S&R so it must be a firmware update to activate it. If so whats stopping a Part 107 pilot telling Autel he needs this firmware for his volunteer fire department's S&R team?

Reactions: macoman and thomasr
Looking over the FCC document again I see in 2018-11-29 they added the 2.4 to the Document. It does say the device supports 3 MHz, 5 MHz, 10 MHz and 20 MHz bandwidth modes.
Interesting.

The 900 MHz is in the EVO, at least from all the FCC documentation that I have seen. I cannot find any update Docs stating it was updated and removed. I know Autel offers it to S&R so it must be a firmware update to activate it. If so whats stopping a Part 107 pilot telling Autel he needs this firmware for his volunteer fire department's S&R team?

Something changed from specs on page to actual production units -- I have seen discussions where it is believed to be simply a matter of firmware.

My first thought when I got mine and realized it was NOT there -- was it would not be long before someone had a hack -- and had the radio activated.

Looking over the FCC document again I see in 2018-11-29 they added the 2.4 to the Document. It does say the device supports 3 MHz, 5 MHz, 10 MHz and 20 MHz bandwidth modes.
Interesting.

3MHz is for 900 band...

It is standard to see 5, 10, 20 as options here in the US for 2.4GHz and 5GHz Depending on the frequency and how much is available, 5GHz can transmit up to 160 Mhz.

On your Evo settings -- the Video settings of Smooth, Normal and HD would fall in the order of 5 / 10 / 20 MHz

As @thomasr stated Occusync uses 5ghz for the first leg of the trip, outputing 1080p on your screen. As it goes farther out, it switches to 720p on the 2.4ghz frequency and eventually dropping down to 480p or disconnecting.

Interesting.
I saw in a teardown of the Evo thar you posted the 900mhz antenna installed in 2 of the legs, so they still are there.

Like I said in my post, the UAV Toolbox is a 3rd party app, and it only works on the H and the H Pro, not the Plus that ive been considering.

The Plus currently has no option for flight planning or drone locating using a map. I think the reason is if it did, there would be no reason to have the H520 with its giant price tag.

I know my post was probably too wordy.

Sorry I missed that part. I only have the H so that's what I know of.

Something changed from specs on page to actual production units -- I have seen discussions where it is believed to be simply a matter of firmware.

My first thought when I got mine and realized it was NOT there -- was it would not be long before someone had a hack -- and had the radio activated.
That's a good point, I had the same thought early on... why are there no hacks for the Evo?

That's a good point, I had the same thought early on... why are there no hacks for the Evo?

Not everyone own's an Evo like those other famous manufacturers --- cough DJI

Like anything else Android or Apple -- if you want a hack -- you have to have the numbers to make it happen.

Especially in Android wild westville - lol

A good portion can and do own a flagship device -- but for many others -- there is such a mix of hardware/manufacturers -- same concept applies with the Evo in this situation.

You have an BLU phone you say? No hack available.
You have an LG phone -- sometimes hack-able. I just went with two manufacturers here -- no haters please :)

It boils down to how many hands -- the hardware in question -- is in. Apparently -- not too many.
If they were, to say, double sales -- I'm sure it would wind up in the right hands for hacks to start to appear.

Hypothetically :D

Edit: Here is another persons take on the breakdown I am discussing. Autel Explorer has only been download 1000+ times....

Last edited:
Well, I'd sure like to learn how to do that, I'd have programmable buttons and everything. :/

The Evo was my first drone. Maybe the last "retail" drone I purchase. No NFZ's, good range, 4k60 and no lie -- it's orange slim body and underbelly -- were main reasons for grabbing one. Not just for seeing it -- if crashed -- I love orange. SOLD LOL

Too many things seem lacking, like it wasn't ready for the spotlight quite yet. It has been on the market for 9 months? That's long enough to get the software and firmware in better shape than it is currently at. Like a dog chasing it's tail...It is capable in it's own regard, but just doesn't cover everything like it was advertised.

I would so seriously love to just build one from scratch like a PC. I am sure it would still cost the same or be more $$$, but usually a little better outcome. Put time and attention into building it -- instead of hurried/rushed mass production mentality that seems to have it in the state it currently is.
I agree 100% with what you are saying. I too thought the Evo was maybe a little rushed to market and lacked some fairly simple seeming refinement. I just decided to sell my Evo and that's what I did. Just seems like the support is not there not to mention that several well known vendors that I talked to about it said that they had no plans to support the Evo with hardware.

My
So I thought I had my second drone picked out and was just about ready to pull the trigger... then all the air went out of my sails.

I've been looking for a second drone to complement the Evo, something that would cover the bases the Evo wasn't, like a good comprehensive waypoint system, a good camera with the ability to pan 360 degrees, etc.

I heard on this forum somewhere that Yuneec has one of the best flight planning options out there, if not the best... so I start looking at a Typhoon H Plus- here's a drone with a great camera- a 1" sensor, has a fantastic picture, an unlimited 360 degree panning camera, a great remote, Realsense obstacle avoidance, and it's a hex that can lose one prop and still land gracefully. The only drawbacks I could see is that it's a wifi remote with really limited range, but that's not really a problem as this is a second drone to complement the Evo... the Evo has the range covered.

Then I find out, the Typhoon doesn't just not have the best flight planing software, it doesn't have ANY flight planning AT ALL!?!? No waypoint's, no map!? There's not even a map showing me where my drone is, let alone a map to use to plan a flight! How could they leave that off a drone that costs over 2k!? Apparently the screen grab I saw on this forum showing a map planning a flight on a Typhoon was a 3rd party software package that isn't even compatible with the latest drone they make- the H Plus I'm looking at.

So now I feel like I may be back to square one. I haven't totally given up on the Typhoon H Plus, but this latest news has me looking around at other options again. I know Dji has a good well thought out mission planning system, but this is supposed to be complementary to my drone... most Dji drones would be flat out replacements. Plus I hate how Dji thinks they still own every drone they make by telling you when and where you can fly it- when you're doing firmware updates, restrictive NFZs that are hard to get around, etc.

So, if you have a second, complementary drone to your Evo, what did you choose, and why? If you don't but you could or might buy a second, which are you looking at, and why? My second UAV will be the Mavic 2 Pro, since P4 are no longer produced and portability of both evo and mavic
wi
second

I find its the upper band that gives it the edge. On 2.4Ghz they're all about the same as the tech can only do so much to overcome the interference but on 5Ghz there's just so much more opportunity to find a clean channel. Evo would be awesome if it had 5Ghz or 900Mhz as initially promised.
Amen! The missing 900Mhz band limits the EVO's reliable, stable FPV to under a mile on the 2.4Ghz band.. So disappointed. The camera is to die for, and the RC control extends easily to well over 3 miles, but what good is that, without reliable FPV? The DJI P4P on 2.4Ghz sucks and craps out at 1.5 miles. Put it into Auto 5.8 Ghz and it will easily exceed 4 miles!

Last edited:
So I thought I had my second drone picked out and was just about ready to pull the trigger... then all the air went out of my sails.

I've been looking for a second drone to complement the Evo, something that would cover the bases the Evo wasn't, like a good comprehensive waypoint system, a good camera with the ability to pan 360 degrees, etc.

I heard on this forum somewhere that Yuneec has one of the best flight planning options out there, if not the best... so I start looking at a Typhoon H Plus- here's a drone with a great camera- a 1" sensor, has a fantastic picture, an unlimited 360 degree panning camera, a great remote, Realsense obstacle avoidance, and it's a hex that can lose one prop and still land gracefully. The only drawbacks I could see is that it's a wifi remote with really limited range, but that's not really a problem as this is a second drone to complement the Evo... the Evo has the range covered.

Then I find out, the Typhoon doesn't just not have the best flight planing software, it doesn't have ANY flight planning AT ALL!?!? No waypoint's, no map!? There's not even a map showing me where my drone is, let alone a map to use to plan a flight! How could they leave that off a drone that costs over 2k!? Apparently the screen grab I saw on this forum showing a map planning a flight on a Typhoon was a 3rd party software package that isn't even compatible with the latest drone they make- the H Plus I'm looking at.

So now I feel like I may be back to square one. I haven't totally given up on the Typhoon H Plus, but this latest news has me looking around at other options again. I know Dji has a good well thought out mission planning system, but this is supposed to be complementary to my drone... most Dji drones would be flat out replacements. Plus I hate how Dji thinks they still own every drone they make by telling you when and where you can fly it- when you're doing firmware updates, restrictive NFZs that are hard to get around, etc.

So, if you have a second, complementary drone to your Evo, what did you choose, and why? If you don't but you could or might buy a second, which are you looking at, and why?
The DJI original P4P is the best drone to complement the EVO, which I save for when the P4P is too big or won't fly because of GEO! Mavic 2 Zoom is another good choice, with a true 2x optical zoom, but needs to be flown in 2.7K to get 60fps. I own all three!

Last edited:

So, if you have a second, complementary drone to your Evo, what did you choose, and why? If you don't but you could or might buy a second, which are you looking at, and why?
@Apollo11capcom I have the EVO and I have 2 Typhoon H and like them all. With the H's one is a stock Pro w/RS and the other is an H480 with the Peau 3.97 lens installed in the CGO3+. When flying for clients the H's are my go to as they are fully featured and I have a backup in case a problem occurs in the field. They are also a bigger drone for clients with "big lens syndrome " lol..The EVO is great to get the quick shot and can get in the air much faster than the H but clients look at it (the EVO) as a small consumer drone. (they know nothing).
The H Plus would be my next purchase as I have a fellow 107 pilot with one and have used it for a couple of commercial shoots where I wanted a full 1 inch sensor that matched my Sony 4K cameras. The H flies much better than the EVO when you want to do turns etc. The EVO is a bit touchy when you yaw in motion. Don't give up on the H Plus and do your research. If you need flight planning those features are there. I have never used the CCC or any of the other features as I prefer to operate manually. Good luck in your search!

Reactions: Apollo11capcom
@Apollo11capcom I have the EVO and I have 2 Typhoon H and like them all. With the H's one is a stock Pro w/RS and the other is an H480 with the Peau 3.97 lens installed in the CGO3+. When flying for clients the H's are my go to as they are fully featured and I have a backup in case a problem occurs in the field. They are also a bigger drone for clients with "big lens syndrome " lol..The EVO is great to get the quick shot and can get in the air much faster than the H but clients look at it (the EVO) as a small consumer drone. (they know nothing).
The H Plus would be my next purchase as I have a fellow 107 pilot with one and have used it for a couple of commercial shoots where I wanted a full 1 inch sensor that matched my Sony 4K cameras. The H flies much better than the EVO when you want to do turns etc. The EVO is a bit touchy when you yaw in motion. Don't give up on the H Plus and do your research. If you need flight planning those features are there. I have never used the CCC or any of the other features as I prefer to operate manually. Good luck in your search!

I think you hit something right on the head that I've mentioned before. The H LOOKS impressive to people who know nothing about drones purely because of the size. You bring out an Evo, an Air, or even a Mavic Pro and it's meh. You unfold the six arms of the H and people pay attention.

I also have two of them, but use one as a primary and the second as a spare that I have a 360 camera attached to. Have to fly that one blind, but it's just like back to the days of the OG Phantom. I love the Evo and it is the one I fly the most, but the H is (by far) the easiest one to get the perfect shots with. The ability to rotate the camera while keeping the drone in one place is a huge thing for framing something exactly how you want. The range on the H is terrible compared to all of my other drones (with the possible exception of the Spark) for both ability to fly out and connection to the controller, but it is a great bit of kit.

Reactions: jcommstudios
I think you hit something right on the head that I've mentioned before. The H LOOKS impressive to people who know nothing about drones purely because of the size. You bring out an Evo, an Air, or even a Mavic Pro and it's meh. You unfold the six arms of the H and people pay attention.

I also have two of them, but use one as a primary and the second as a spare that I have a 360 camera attached to. Have to fly that one blind, but it's just like back to the days of the OG Phantom. I love the Evo and it is the one I fly the most, but the H is (by far) the easiest one to get the perfect shots with. The ability to rotate the camera while keeping the drone in one place is a huge thing for framing something exactly how you want. The range on the H is terrible compared to all of my other drones (with the possible exception of the Spark) for both ability to fly out and connection to the controller, but it is a great bit of kit.
So between the two of you guys you have 4 TH's. I think it would be only neighborly to give me one. :)

My second is the Typhoon H. It is super stable and can handle the higher winds that keep my Evo grounded. It is also not a DJI product, so how can I go wrong!!

Reactions: Apollo11capcom
My second drone is the Autel X-Star Premium. My first one... the Evo. I searched high and low for what I really wanted in a drone. Almost bought a Yuneec Typhoon and decided not after seeing what was coming from Autel.
I wanted a second drone after I bought the Evo and decided on the XSP. I seen where a lot of pilots were getting close to one mile out in town and decided to buy one. I get a lot of interference in my area where I fly. I have yet to take it out away from populated areas and see what the actual range could be. I know they claim 1.8 miles or something. I get close to 3/4 of a mile most of the time. If only my XSP would have the range of my Evo.... That would be awesome!
I still have them both and wouldn't trade neither one for any other drone on the market.

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuckster58