Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Waypoint Mission for Wedding Videography

scott.g

Reaction score
Hi Guys
I just watched one of the Autel videos on custom waypoint mission. If I understood it, it seems I can set a path, with varying waypoint heights, point the camera in a given direction and shoot video..

I am imagining a perfect world where I could set up a waypoint mission prior to a wedding then basically hit go.. Yes, DONT fly over people. But around the outside, with very thought-through actions.

Anyone tried this?
What do you see as the pitfalls?

Pitfalls: the unplanned. By that I mean a meandering ring bearer, an usher that walks too fast, high winds, birds.

IMHO, it's best to keep your fingers on the sticks at that sort of event.

Hi Guys
I just watched one of the Autel videos on custom waypoint mission. If I understood it, it seems I can set a path, with varying waypoint heights, point the camera in a given direction and shoot video..

I am imagining a perfect world where I could set up a waypoint mission prior to a wedding then basically hit go.. Yes, DONT fly over people. But around the outside, with very thought-through actions.

Anyone tried this?

I've been shooting commercial jobs with drones since 2014.....not once have I relied on a "waypoint mission" or let my hands off the controls. I don't even get what the benefit would be of doing something like this unless you plan on running other cameras while the drone is flying its mission. For that scenario I'd just hire an assistant and add their fee to the client's inovice....no way would I have my hands off the controls of a drone at any event with or without people.

If the client's budget does not include an assistant...then guess what, that means tradeoffs need to be made to provide the services that you can provide that is within their budget such as they don't get drone footage while you are running other cameras.

Hi Guys

Anyone tried this?
The waypoint missions are a handy tool for some scenarios, particularly those where you want a consistent flight/mission flown, for recurring missions (e.g. progress reporting), and in scenarios where you want to offload some workload tasks. I used to be of the mindset that everything had to be hand flown while hearing from others that everything should be automated. Now Im of the mindset use the different tools, skillsets for the given mission and tasks, as well as stay practiced in using them.

Thanks for your thoughts.. I wasn't meaning to say I would let go of the controls.. I was just thinking a well thought through waypoint would mean great shots. And if I did a wedding in the same location again, I could run the same mission... Was just an Idea.. I would certainly do a lot of pre-testing before ever trying it..

Reactions: Mavic Rick
Thanks for your thoughts.. I wasn't meaning to say I would let go of the controls.. I was just thinking a well thought through waypoint would mean great shots. And if I did a wedding in the same location again, I could run the same mission... Was just an Idea.. I would certainly do a lot of pre-testing before ever trying it..
Your thinking is good idea, a creative way of using waypoints and the tools to meet the needs of a given mission or shoot scenario. Particular if you have a certain style, pov sequence that you like to do, using a waypoint mission is a great way to help with that. One of the nice things about waypoint, or other programmed missions including using Litchi with DJI and others, is that your hands are on the controls, however gives you flexibility to make adjustments to camera, gimbal and other things. Do some experimenting and see how you can be more creative using the technology as a tool along with your flying skills to something interesting. Fwiw, here's a sample of using waypoints along with hand flying. By using waypoint mission, the same route, angles, alt, poi were maintained while flying daily over a couple of weeks to capture the building and then also once opened.

Last edited:
Bravo, the very first very useful post.
Can some one Please make a Short and Sweet Card for Destination Shots etc. Without far too many words to help us all !

My Typhoon H had this beautiful CCC mode and did a great job with Wedding jobs.

Reactions: gschulzuio
POIs are what you should look into for a mission shots. Also for cinematic shots set your gimbal and speed parameters.

"Flight Control > Advanced Settings > EXP > open and adjust then close NOW go back to where EXP is then right under the EXP you see Sensitivity open and adjust. You need to play with this to your flavor. You can slow it down to the point to where the drone almost does not react to any stick input. I set it so low the first time I thought my drone was stuck in limbo hell. LOL"

A POI mission with POI.

Reactions: gschulzuio

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elio-Italy