Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

want to get up a mountain side

Borealis

Reaction score
Hi,
I live in a remote mountain valley and wondering how high (up a mountain side) a lite plus could fly and return under ideal conditions?

really really high or about 2,700 feet. i was once in mexico and it went high. so high, i couldn't see it. ;)

800m from the takeoff point is the limit. If you take off from the middle of the mountain instead from the bottom then you have +/-800m range in vertical, so 1600m in total.

This is a software limit, foldable consumer drones ceiling is around 4000-6000m above the sea level, you can hack the DJI drones to remove their 500m altitude limit, but there's no hack available for Autel drones.

Last edited:
Thanks for the answers. 800 meters should be fine and good to know about the possible 1600 range half way up. Considering that strong winds come up out of nowhere anytime it's kind of nice to have plenty flight time with this drone.

800m from the takeoff point is the limit. If you take off from the middle of the mountain instead from the bottom then you have +/-800m range in vertical, so 1600m in total.

This is a software limit, foldable consumer drones ceiling is around 4000-6000m above the sea level, you can hack the DJI drones to remove their 500m altitude limit, but there's no hack available for Autel drones
I saw a video once with a DJI drone where the pilot flew to the top of a building and landed, then took off again and that reset the limit. I wonder if same would work with Autel?

My lite plus is in the mail, once I'm comfortable with it I could try this out. I have several bare hill tops close to the house as well as two mountain ranges on either side with bare ridges all in easy line of sight.

Reactions: AirStag
I saw a video once with a DJI drone where the pilot flew to the top of a building and landed, then took off again and that reset the limit. I wonder if same would work with Autel?
Did you have the link to the video, I'm curious.
In order to reset the altitude, someone has to be there to power off the drone and restart it?

Last edited:
Reactions: UasDriver
Considering that strong winds come up out of nowhere
I retired from Rockclimbing awhile back. last year took the drone to my 'ol haunts and filmed. You DO want to practice at distance. I would fly the contours, maybe 200' away from the face, then "sneak" in, paying attention to the drone and what it was doing. filming the rock faces in close is a sphincter tightening experience. o_O

Haha, I fully understand what you're talking about!! If or when I'm ready to give this a try I will have someone on the ground or mountain side to monitor the action first hand in the area. some of this will be above tree line but there are rocks and or grass etc that are trouble plus those winds.... We can put some landing pads down and see if we can find them etc. I figure this would be a nice exercise no matter what. The valley is pretty much unpopulated and only weak cell signals up in the mountains so at least we don't have to deal with those problems.

Did you have the link to the video, I'm curious.
In order to reset the altitude, someone has to be there to power off the drone and restart it?
I have not been able to find it. I watched it a couple times maybe 4 years ago, but it doesn't show up in my youtube watch history. It must have been deleted. Here is the building though - The Shanghai International Finance Center. He landed it on the glass roof where I have the arrow. It was wild. No one was there to power cycle. It was the original Mavic Air, which I had at the time.

Attachments

• Shanghai.jpg
    Shanghai.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 6
Reactions: gophcc
Ok, I got my Lite Plus 10 or 12 days ago but had little time to try things out. Had to leave for a family emergency and won't be back home for another 10 days. BUt the good news is that this drone does everything I was hoping for and then some right out the box for a beginner like me.
The attached photos show the valley my home is at and where I took off from to take this pic... and the sheep are on a mountain side to the left or behind the drone at that point. All done sitting on my deck infront my house.
I'll try out landing and take off along the way when I have time. I can place a landing mat and have someone there to fetch the drone if there are problems.

Attachments

• MAX_0020DXO.jpg
    MAX_0020DXO.jpg
    393.3 KB · Views: 7
  • sheep2.jpg
    sheep2.jpg
    932.8 KB · Views: 7

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members