Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Wandering drone

Marcle

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I have had my XSP for 3-4 months now. I got it used with only a couple of flights on it. Lately it's started to drift when hovering in place. I have never had to do a compass calibration on it since I assume it was in the 60 mile radius of the calibration the previous owner since I got it local. How often should I calibrate the compass even though I tend to fly in the same locations as practice? It's only been doing it the last couple of flights. Thanks!

I’ve had that a couple of times. There’s drift, and there’s what the heck is it doing. LOL.
I’d start by not assuming anything the previous owner did. A compass recalibration is easy (the dance) and letting it sit for 15 min+ to find a cadre of friendly satellites isn’t too tough either. I’d try that 1st!

Reactions: Ansia and Marcle
I would also check you haven't inadvertently switched it into atti mode it is easy to do I have done it and wondered what the he** is the matter with this thing. I am also old school and calibrate every time I fire mine up only takes a second and is just money in the bank.

I would also check you haven't inadvertently switched it into atti mode it is easy to do I have done it and wondered what the he** is the matter with this thing. I am also old school and calibrate every time I fire mine up only takes a second and is just money in the bank.
Good call!

Yes, I did make sure that it wasn't in Atti mode, especially after going from my phone to the iPad. It's not a big drift, just a constant slow shifting of position. I have a non-GPS Syma I fly as well, that thing is usually all over the place. I really like how steady my XSP is in comparison.
I was going to go out and do a compass calibration and fly in a little historic town we have near us but my wife and daughter drug me out to shop and eat. LOL It was a little crowded today too because it's near 70 degrees, (after being -2 F on Thursday morning). Don't need the small town police force coming around checking into what I'm doing...at least until I get my Part 107. I'll let you know if the compass calibration works Hilo. Thanks guys for the suggestions.

ATTI mode can also be switched on, on the remote. Top left. I've done it by accident also.

ATTI mode can also be switched on, on the remote. Top left. I've done it by accident also.
I did double check that as well...with my luck (mostly bad) I'm pretty OCD about those things. (heck I even re-read the manual last night to see if there was anything I was missing from the first go round. LOL). Thanks for the heads up Tufargon. I will double check to make sure that it's not just slightly switched over.

Reactions: Tufargon
Hey guys,
I have had my XSP for 3-4 months now. I got it used with only a couple of flights on it. Lately it's started to drift when hovering in place. I have never had to do a compass calibration on it since I assume it was in the 60 mile radius of the calibration the previous owner since I got it local. How often should I calibrate the compass even though I tend to fly in the same locations as practice? It's only been doing it the last couple of flights. Thanks!
Update your firmware - there is a new download available that actually eliminates compass calibration.

Update your firmware - there is a new download available that actually eliminates compass calibration.
That was the plan anyway, but if you change locations by more than 50+ miles — many of us have found a new calibration and gps logging period solves many issues...

I did update the firmware when I first got it and I do believe I am up to date on that unless they recently updated it. I did a compass calibration on Saturday but didn't fly it much, just long enough to shoot a photo of everyone at a 50th birthday party. When it stops raining, I'll get it up for a little longer and see how it does.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials