Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Vertical Photogrammetry of a Building

Ansia

Reaction score
I did this mission a while back, but never was able to completely process the photos. I took 1,336 photos of all elevations of the building and whenever I tried to process them, it would turn up incomplete or just plain awful. So I decided to process each elevation individually and later merge them together in hopes that the building will end up complete.

The process I used is as follows:

- Set the camera to timelapse 2s with the camera pointing at 0 degrees.
- When flying the building, make sure the Evo remains on it's Y axis as stable as possible, so all photos match perfectly when you scroll up or down. When I did this specific shoot, I was flying in 20mph winds with gusts up to 40mph.
-Go all the way up, slide left or right and go down, slide left or right and go up as to create a pattern, just like an horizontal mission.

Sadly, this building is humongous, so each elevation can take up to 1 week on my laptop.
(Intel i7 4660HQ, 32Gb DDR3 RAM, 2 4Gb GTX 860M in SLI)

So far I have completed 1 elevation and the photo I'm posting isn't the completed version. I left it finishing the Tiled Model this morning, before leaving for work, so I will update at a later time as time permits.

East Elevation Playa Grande.jpg

Please pay no mind at the garbage on the sides. I will clean those out when I merge all 4 elevations together.

If all goes according to plan, I should get a high resolution version of Google Map's.

Sadly, it will never look as complete as Google's since this building is in controlled airspace and there is a ceiling limit which won't allow me to fly over it.

If you are interested and want to know my settings, please don't hesitate to ask.

Last edited:
It might take a while. Last time I did a photogrammetry, there was a blackout and the intense processing requirement and heat melted my laptop's battery. It still works, but is currently limping and I'm banned from buying new toys.

• Haha
Reactions: Tufargon
I did this mission a while back, but never was able to completely process the photos. I took 1,336 photos of all elevations of the building and whenever I tried to process them, it would turn up incomplete or just plain awful. So I decided to process each elevation individually and later merge them together in hopes that the building will end up complete.

The process I used is as follows:

- Set the camera to timelapse 2s with the camera pointing at 0 degrees.
- When flying the building, make sure the Evo remains on it's Y axis as stable as possible, so all photos match perfectly when you scroll up or down. When I did this specific shoot, I was flying in 20mph winds with gusts up to 40mph.
-Go all the way up, slide left or right and go down, slide left or right and go up as to create a pattern, just like an horizontal mission.

Sadly, this building is humongous, so each elevation can take up to 1 week on my laptop.
(Intel i7 4660HQ, 32Gb DDR3 RAM, 2 4Gb GTX 860M in SLI)

So far I have completed 1 elevation and the photo I'm posting isn't the completed version. I left it finishing the Tiled Model this morning, before leaving for work, so I will update at a later time as time permits.

View attachment 4730

Please pay no mind at the garbage on the sides. I will clean those out when I merge all 4 elevations together.

If all goes according to plan, I should get a high resolution version of Google Map's.
View attachment 4731

Sadly, it will never look as complete as Google's since this building is in controlled airspace and there is a ceiling limit which won't allow me to fly over it.

If you are interested and want to know my settings, please don't hesitate to ask.
Amazing.

Wow, I would have never thought that buying a drone would introduce me to so many different things you can do with the images it captures! I had to Google Photogrammetry and read for a bit to even understand what this thread is about! I had no idea how some of the 3D stuff I have seen on the web was done. I watched a tutorial on 3DF Zephyr Aerial and that brought it all together.

Now I can say good job!

Reactions: Ansia

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials