Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

UV filter

bseasmd

Reaction score
Has anyone removed the UV filter, or would it be foolish to remove it? I'm wondering if ditching the UV filter might clear up some of the lens flare that seems to plague this camera...

Cheers!

Has anyone removed the UV filter, or would it be foolish to remove it? I'm wondering if ditching the UV filter might clear up some of the lens flare that seems to plague this camera...

Cheers!

Have you tried a ND filter to see if it solves your problem?

The ND filter won't solve the lens flare looking at the sun. I live in FL, trust me I've tried. the only thing that sort of works is change your angle looking at the sun. If you are direct, dead on, the dot is actually in the sun and you can't see it. So play with your gimble to line the flare up in the sun. Once you pan left or right, that dot will come out of the sun and you'll see it but then it sort of looks like it belongs since its at the same level as the sun then. But ND8 doesn't even solve that flare when looking at the sun.

The ND filter won't solve the lens flare looking at the sun. I live in FL, trust me I've tried. the only thing that sort of works is change your angle looking at the sun. If you are direct, dead on, the dot is actually in the sun and you can't see it. So play with your gimble to line the flare up in the sun. Once you pan left or right, that dot will come out of the sun and you'll see it but then it sort of looks like it belongs since its at the same level as the sun then. But ND8 doesn't even solve that flare when looking at the sun.

In that case the flare must result from internal reflections and removing the OEM filter will not stop it.

Reactions: bseasmd
The dynamics of using the filters regarding angles is a life long discussion. When the author says UV filter is he referring to the clear filter on the drone when you receive it. Is it actually a UV filter? I have checked and I can't tell if it is or not. But getting back to the flare problem; the difficulties of using filters is the shot is only good coming from 1 direction. You need to set it up beforehand which means lots of trial and error stuff. Most likely you need to document all the conditions at the time, height, direction, relationship to the subject, on and on. It's a difficult problem to answer correctly. You just need to play around with it. Now if that's not enough get into Polarization. forget it!!

Reactions: bseasmd
The dynamics of using the filters regarding angles is a life long discussion. When the author says UV filter is he referring to the clear filter on the drone when you receive it. Is it actually a UV filter? I have checked and I can't tell if it is or not. But getting back to the flare problem; the difficulties of using filters is the shot is only good coming from 1 direction. You need to set it up beforehand which means lots of trial and error stuff. Most likely you need to document all the conditions at the time, height, direction, relationship to the subject, on and on. It's a difficult problem to answer correctly. You just need to play around with it. Now if that's not enough get into Polarization. forget it!!

I think I'll pass on polarization for now! I've only recently started tinkering with ND filters (Freewell) and I don't want to muddy the waters by getting arrogant. I'm also glad to know this isn't a problem specific to me.

The manual says it's a UV filter, so I read up on those. It seems they're not really necessary. I did take it off to test my lens flare theory, and there wasn't much difference. I packed up and went home with my tail tucked.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Football Bat