Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

UAV Legal News & Discussion, Things are going to get a lot tougher people.

Jagerbomb52

Reaction score
Listened to the internet broadcast of the US house transportation and infrastructure committee discussion today regarding counter UAS strategies and challenges.. many in attendance were from DHS, DOD, and other law enforcement and security agencies . you could tell no one was invited to speak for recreational model aircraft operators as they pretty much all agreed to repeal and throw the special rule for model aircraft in section 336.. under the bus..
Also, no further relaxing of commercial UAS rules can occur without remote ID tech on all UAS.. I expect that legislators will push for all model aircraft and drones over 250 grams to be equipped with remote ID tech.. unless some other small unmanned aircraft distinction or category based on weight or capability is carved out.. the AMA and many traditional RC aircraft and recreational drone operators are not going to be happy with the results from this congressional hearing.. oh well..

Sound does not start till around 25 minutes into it, not sure why this happened but just start watching around there.

Reactions: HiloHawaiian
I totally agree. Remote ID is the future, but unless it’s super-robust, it’ll be spoofed by hackers and ineffective against determined rogue drone attacks. Big aerospace corporations are all-in developing anti-UAV technology...

It's really a screen they are using to bolster the business for commercial large scale drones/UAS as they have done in Canada. In Canada, large scale drones/UAS companies were the guys that wrote most of the language into our UAS laws here. For them, it is a huge win. Before we came along, mapping was done with large commercial drones/UAS for thousands of dollars. With the introduction of the types we fly, we have been able to reduce the cost by thousands and effectively create competition that they did not want. When you are the monopoly, everyone is your enemy. Nothing of which they speak to actually addresses security and safety. If what they say were true, guns would be regulated in the US based on their comments.

Reactions: HiloHawaiian
It's really a screen they are using to bolster the business for commercial large scale drones/UAS as they have done in Canada. In Canada, large scale drones/UAS companies were the guys that wrote most of the language into our UAS laws here. For them, it is a huge win. Before we came along, mapping was done with large commercial drones/UAS for thousands of dollars. With the introduction of the types we fly, we have been able to reduce the cost by thousands and effectively create competition that they did not want. When you are the monopoly, everyone is your enemy. Nothing of which they speak to actually addresses security and safety. If what they say were true, guns would be regulated in the US based on their comments.
lol, too funny, it sounds like the “fix” tour helicopter companies have by secretly co-authoring super-loose rules to fly deafening choppers over Hawaiian residential areas 365 days a year w/zero FAA oversight. Hilo has twice the volume of #2 Grand Canyon, which has full-time FAA inspectors, but not a single FAA employee on-Island!

Listened to the internet broadcast of the US house transportation and infrastructure committee discussion today regarding counter UAS strategies and challenges.. many in attendance were from DHS, DOD, and other law enforcement and security agencies . you could tell no one was invited to speak for recreational model aircraft operators as they pretty much all agreed to repeal and throw the special rule for model aircraft in section 336.. under the bus..
Also, no further relaxing of commercial UAS rules can occur without remote ID tech on all UAS.. I expect that legislators will push for all model aircraft and drones over 250 grams to be equipped with remote ID tech.. unless some other small unmanned aircraft distinction or category based on weight or capability is carved out.. the AMA and many traditional RC aircraft and recreational drone operators are not going to be happy with the results from this congressional hearing.. oh well..

Sound does not start till around 25 minutes into it, not sure why this happened but just start watching around there.

My .02

I took the time to watch the entire video today. Pretty good stuff.

But, I have to disagree with your assessment of 336 getting thrown under the bus. Please reference 1:48:00-1:51:13. The FAA is not interested in killing the hobby side. They are trying to work with us.

The congressmen were/are clueless. You could tell by the some of the simplistic questions. The DC congresswoman kept calling them "USA", and kept leaving the hearing. How can you learn anything if you're not there?!?!
One of them asked about using a shotgun to shoot them down!!
Toward the end one of them went off and threw a fit, then left, ref 1:51:14-1:52:52. He has a hard on toward hobby drones.

The FAA gal was on point and very sharp, so was the DOD guy. Too bad the congressmen kept interrupting the answers to ask another stupid question. Maybe they were steering the conversation because they didn't like what they were hearing. Who knows...

My takeaway from this hearing is they are trying to get a handle on the perceived increase in UAS commercial traffic, protect critical infrastructure, and identify malcontents in a way that doesn't interfere with legitimate commercial UAV operation or the aerospace industry.

I see this hearing as the first step towards EDUCATING the powers that be, they were so out of their element it wasn't even funny. Even so, implementing the ID tech and subsequent rules will take a very long time, they are so behind the curve on this.

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials