Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Too old to fly commercially? Is there a max age limiting me from flying commercially?

Wghayek

Reaction score
Can’t find any rules on making 65 years the maximum age to fly commercially under part 107?

Thanks! Watched a YouTube and guy said over 65 can’t fly commercially?!?

Far too broad a brush there... can you be restricted on the basis of "age"... of course you can. Can it be proven in a court? Hmmm.. sure you want to drink that water? Seems a bit muddy.

What kind of commercial work? What kind of restrictions? Actually flying? Ability to be insured? Based on what? Physical limitations such as reaction time, that are more difficult to quantify? Or, in the case of this specific endeavor, the far easiest to quantify... visual acuity. Or, the far more fluid range of measurements... mental abilities.

Also depends on the company worked for and what entity makes those decisions... is that wind farm a private corporation or run by a state utility? Is that roof inspection, a private apartment complex or a federal office building?

Reactions: Wghayek
Most of the airlines have a forced retirement age of 65 but that is not an FAA requirement.

Can’t find any rules on making 65 years the maximum age to fly commercially under part 107?

I don't think there are any age stipulations in the Part 107 guidance so I would say you are good to go if you pass the test. Now should you vs could you is a whole different discussion, but from an FAA regulatory viewpoint it seems there's nothing stopping you there.

Last edited:
I’m very capable of flying, I watched this guy on you tube who said made the comment. Thanks for your response!

Reactions: herein2021
I’m very capable of flying, I watched this guy on you tube who said made the comment. Thanks for your response!
Minimum age is 16. I don't recall a maximum age.
Who was it on YouTube that said there was? I want to make sure I don't listen to them.

Reactions: Thencestraes
Most of the airlines have a forced retirement age of 65 but that is not an FAA requirement.
Actually Commercial Airline Pilots have to retire from Commercial Flying at AGE 60. That is an FAA requirement!
As a former Air Traffic Controller, my max retirement age was 56!

But, for Part 107 UAV Unmanned Aircraft, there is no age requirement! I would leave this alone and NOT stir the POT, before someone gets an idea to introduce an Age Requirement Rule for Part 107 pilots.

For part 107 there is no max age as long as you do not have any medical or health issues that would prevent you from safe flying.

I'm 75 and still active commercially. Haven't killed anyone yet or even come close!
The 60 year old and in some cases 65 is for flying Commercial Passenger Aircraft. You know the BIG ONES. Flying smaller private aircraft doesn't apply! As long as you can pass a Class 1, 2 or 3 medical you're good to go.

Reactions: Anzacjack
For part 107 there is no max age as long as you do not have any medical or health issues that would prevent you from safe flying.
And like I said earlier, this is one of those questions, that needs to be left alone, before some Genius out there comes up with a Stupid proposal to require an age limit.

Reactions: Anzacjack
Only issue is vlos might be less but thats what spotters are for.
As long as you have no impairment thats makes it dangerous for you to fly, i cant see that age is relevant.

Only issue is vlos might be less but thats what spotters are for.
As long as you have no impairment thats makes it dangerous for you to fly, i cant see that age is relevant.
You are correct.
VLOS is the big issue and so many pilots don't understand that you cannot fly using your monitor or phone. You have to have the DRONE in site at all times.

The FAA hasn't brought up anything about AGE so FAR and I hope they don't!

Looks like people have hit the nail on the head. As a CFII, I have found no FAA maximum age limitation for Part 107. In fact, for manned aircraft, there is no maximum age limitation for Private and Commercial rated pilots. Its only when you fly under the Part governing airline pilots where the FAA limits the maximum age.

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sky3d