Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

This thread is of no educational value whatsoever

Apollo11capcom

Reaction score
This is just a rant thread, plain and simple.

I was flying my Evo at an old ruin of a mill dam close by and there was a family close watching- much closer to my drone at the time than i was. It was a typical family for around here, loud, no manners, but i thought nothing of it, I don't judge.

Well I was watching my videos later that day and i saw, on my video, one of the little punks throw a friggin rock at my drone! You can actually see the rock come within what i would guess to be about a foot from my camera!

No video had ever made me so mad! I obviously didn't see him do it at the time, I would have * Edit* the little jerk if i had. >8(

Rant over, thank you for listening.

That has always been a fear of mine - or worse - someone be aiming their firearm for a prop or it's nice bright orange belly. ???

I use a 5.5 inch display - so unless I am zoomed in a few times I wouldn't even see until like you -- in post -- if lucky to not get hit OR survive a hit and get home ... lol

This was another consideration I give to using DU recorder on my device for the chance you actually do see who/what direction it come from if it get's hit and it goes down - you might get lucky and get a few good mugshots before something dies or get's destroyed. ?

Hey! On the bright side of things - - You can add another flight day on your Evo's flight logs. ??:cool:

Those are the kind of people who really do have a special place reserved for them ?

This gentlemen's Evo was hit and lived to get his original footage... My what a feeling when you see that "moment". ???

Also, I ran across this one yesterday on WSOC Charlotte - one of their news briefs -- and they have it on their website to view.

People just don't care if it's a drone, plane or whatever anymore -- some have lost their minds STILL trying to bring down an actual plane with lasers. It is really no telling how many are actually shot at each year.

One of the planes in the past 4 days that has been hit with this type of attack was a military plane. Too bad they weren't in a war zone and could have launched whatever they had on-board in that general direction ... no more laser ... problem solved... lol

Hmmm I find that video kind of hard to believe. If it was indeed shot at and hit on the battery I would think the battery would have caught fire. The video looks staged to me. If the pellet broke through the arm those tiny little wires inside would be ripped apart.

I can't watch the video at the moment but i'l check it out later, if it's staged, I wonder if he was attempting to cash in a protection plan to get a new one.

That's a good idea btw, screen record every flight for that reason. Ive got the recorded video of this one, but if he would have hit it and it went down i wouldnt have, it was all fast moving water below it.

Hmmm I find that video kind of hard to believe. If it was indeed shot at and hit on the battery I would think the battery would have caught fire. The video looks staged to me. If the pellet broke through the arm those tiny little wires inside would be ripped apart.

I can't watch the video at the moment but i'l check it out later, if it's staged, I wonder if he was attempting to cash in a protection plan to get a new one.

That's a good idea btw, screen record every flight for that reason. Ive got the recorded video of this one, but if he would have hit it and it went down i wouldnt have, it was all fast moving water below it.

Agustine, Apollo11capcom: As for the battery - that was the first thing I thought. BOY if not staged, the battery held up nicely.

His statement at the end of the video about the battery had me believe he was crazy and flew it, in the condition he showed it in, looking like that?. I mean I would be curious also if my drone actually were hit and survived. He's lucky he didn't get a fireworks display.

He does lend further evidence of an actual pellet and the supposed damage the prop arm by showing one still there. If the pellet shot was for real - the angle of the stuck pellet and the damage, the hit caused where it landed -- does look passable.

As for damaging the wiring -- the prop arm seems to have took most of the force before the pellet got to the wiring. Should that pellet have sliced through that wiring -- YES! Since the plastic looks like it "held" as long as it could, the wires would have probably survived. Especially when bunched together or a ribbon type cable, there is more tensile strength for the pellet to compete against.

The few comments posted on this video, this gentlemen did reply to someone saying they knew who done it -- and it was a complicated matter. Could have been kids, or someone he be-grudged, or one of those lunatics that fear that you are peeping on them... kinda complicated? or last but not least... was it "Complicated: because it was staged and he was looking for an insurance payout?

--- Just odd though that he seems to be the perfect magician with luck and flying with a damaged battery and Evo prop arm without incident -- and show some type of video that you can only assume -- he got out that THAT Evo.

Apollo11capcom:

I forget who, what, where I learned of DU Recorder, as I have read so much here and watched so much YouTube about Evo -- but that was just one of many reasons I wanted to "record" my flights. In case of strike or strike/downed situations.

If everything aligns and certain systems continue functioning and I know it's a long-shot -- but not a bad idea, that you might get to see something more tangible than a blip on Google Maps and memories of what you last seen just happen.

I originally was looking at the app to "record" my flights -- so I could mux it together with the actual video from the Evo -- when in post video activities. Did not have the app but a day or two, and it seems to have updated that quickly - so seems to be a pretty maintained app.

The version I installed IMO works without dragging my phone down - Autel Explorer barely does that (btw) and don't even notice it running doing it's thing. It can capture and output up to 1080P.

Agustine, Apollo11capcom: As for the battery - that was the first thing I thought. BOY if not staged, the battery held up nicely.

His statement at the end of the video about the battery had me believe he was crazy and flew it, in the condition he showed it in, looking like that?. I mean I would be curious also if my drone actually were hit and survived. He's lucky he didn't get a fireworks display.

He does lend further evidence of an actual pellet and the supposed damage the prop arm by showing one still there. If the pellet shot was for real - the angle of the stuck pellet and the damage, the hit caused where it landed -- does look passable.

As for damaging the wiring -- the prop arm seems to have took most of the force before the pellet got to the wiring. Should that pellet have sliced through that wiring -- YES! Since the plastic looks like it "held" as long as it could, the wires would have probably survived. Especially when bunched together or a ribbon type cable, there is more tensile strength for the pellet to compete against.

The few comments posted on this video, this gentlemen did reply to someone saying they knew who done it -- and it was a complicated matter. Could have been kids, or someone he be-grudged, or one of those lunatics that fear that you are peeping on them... kinda complicated? or last but not least... was it "Complicated: because it was staged and he was looking for an insurance payout?

--- Just odd though that he seems to be the perfect magician with luck and flying with a damaged battery and Evo prop arm without incident -- and show some type of video that you can only assume -- he got out that THAT Evo.

Apollo11capcom:

I forget who, what, where I learned of DU Recorder, as I have read so much here and watched so much YouTube about Evo -- but that was just one of many reasons I wanted to "record" my flights. In case of strike or strike/downed situations.

If everything aligns and certain systems continue functioning and I know it's a long-shot -- but not a bad idea, that you might get to see something more tangible than a blip on Google Maps and memories of what you last seen just happen.

I originally was looking at the app to "record" my flights -- so I could mux it together with the actual video from the Evo -- when in post video activities. Did not have the app but a day or two, and it seems to have updated that quickly - so seems to be a pretty maintained app.

The version I installed IMO works without dragging my phone down - Autel Explorer barely does that (btw) and don't even notice it running doing it's thing. It can capture and output up to 1080P.
Yep that's the same app I use as per advice received on this forum, and it works like a charm. Ive had it recording in the background on a long flight, 20+ minutes, it got every second of it with no adverse effects on my phones performance. And you're right, a lot of recording options, it'll do 1080p, 60fps.

The one thing I would like it to do, which may or may not be possible, I haven't played around with it enough yet, is to open automatically when I open explorer so I don't forget it.

Reactions: thomasr
The one thing I would like it to do, which may or may not be possible, I haven't played around with it enough yet, is to open automatically when I open explorer so I don't forget it.

hahahah Me too. No options found. Closest thing was "shake to stop", and it was default off. This would not work on some of my androids because regardless of manufacturer -- they have their own "shake" for whatever response apps running on their os's. Glad it was default off!

I did notice when connecting to Wifi the DU Recorder was a little chatty. So while looking through all the options, there was an option towards the bottom... something about customer experience program. just click that off -- and the app maybe want snitch on your habits so much. ;) ymmv

otherwise pretty neat multi-tool. I even seen options to stitch video files together ... music ... subtitles.

I noticed this is actually a change in the firmware on the Evo BETA -- it starts recording automatically on take-off(motors spinning) where the previous did not. It was so irritating to be half-way done flying and forget to hit record. Live and learn. :D

Thats why I always fly high with mine. I figure if they can hit something that small/high up (120m/400ft), they ought to join the major leagues!

I've had birds chase mine and all I do is climb and they give up. The wind kicks up quite hard at altitude and it takes a toll on their poor little bodies >50m up.

Attachments

• Felecia.gif
    Felecia.gif
    1.4 MB · Views: 3
  • Haha
Reactions: thomasr
Thats why I always fly high with mine. I figure if they can hit something that small/high up (120m/400ft), they ought to join the major leagues!

I've had birds chase mine and all I do is climb and they give up. The wind kicks up quite hard at altitude and it takes a toll on their poor little bodies >50m up.

Stay hovering long enough with your back (i mean camera turned) -- I know a few people that can take it out. Some of their marksmanship skills terrify me. LOL

But I do feel the same as you -- the higher is better when possible. Gives them more of a challenge to do/try anything.

Stay hovering long enough with your back (i mean camera turned) -- I know a few people that can take it out. Some of their marksmanship skills terrify me. LOL

Oh I dont doubt that but guns here are illegal and I rarely hover. Besides, the drone can fly much much higher than 400ft :) and the wind, pretty much effects everything up there - drones, birds, airplanes and even bullets :)

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials