Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

This is an amazing flight, but is it legal?

HiloHawaiian

Reaction score
8CC6A4CD-61C5-401D-8EDB-45B0413C72DD.jpeg
This is an amazing flight, a fantastic mod. I know the spot well. My GGF jumped ship in 1850, in Lahaina — staying where there’s half-naked Hawaiian women, rather than a torturous trip back home on a Dutch whaler.

I don’t know that much about FAA rules flying remotely controlled aircraft aside from quads, but how can this be legal? Doesn’t he have to keep it within line-of-site? It’s 20+ miles each way...

Reactions: drrags and Robsway1
Your GF was alive in 1850? Wow! She a vampire or something? ?

The Parrot Disco follow the same rules and regulations as our loved quads. I can't speak for the pilot of this video, but you can get an authorization waiver to fly BVLOS on a predetermined route. Since the Disco has 4G LTE reception, it can fly as far as the battery will allow it (of course as long as there is LTE reception). I don't know if they have RTH function. Always wanted one, but can't justify purchasing one.

• Haha
Reactions: HiloHawaiian
Not legal at all. Dustin is just another Youtuber idiot that breaks all the rules to get subs for his channel. If you want to know how far any UAV that has come out in the last 3-4 years you will find one of his videos showing just that.

Your GF was alive in 1850? Wow! She a vampire or something? ?

The Parrot Disco follow the same rules and regulations as our loved quads. I can't speak for the pilot of this video, but you can get an authorization waiver to fly BVLOS on a predetermined route. Since the Disco has 4G LTE reception, it can fly as far as the battery will allow it (of course as long as there is LTE reception). I don't know if they have RTH function. Always wanted one, but can't justify purchasing one.
GGF!!!

Not legal at all. Dustin is just another Youtuber idiot that breaks all the rules to get subs for his channel. If you want to know how far any UAV that has come out in the last 3-4 years you will find one of his videos showing just that.
Yup, his distance videos are all illegal...

There's another guy over in EU that does it too and when he gets confronted on his chan about it he flat out says "Who cares, look how many likes and subs I'm getting".

• Angry
Great , interesting flight. Not legal unless he obtained prior approval.
But REALLY he endangered less people than the average guy flying his drone within VLOS. over houses
Plus , I think if something goes wrong with his electronics this thing does not come down like a brick as your Evo .
would.
So maybe we should be less critical and more applauding

They have a no fly zone in Merritt Island near me because they dont want someone to bother animals and birds in the area. Meantime when they launch a rocket at Cape Canaveral which is inside the refuge all hell breaks lose.

Last edited:
Reactions: mixchief
Great , interesting flight. Not legal unless he obtained prior approval.
But REALLY he endangered less people than the average guy flying his drone within VLOS. over houses
Plus , I think if something goes wrong with his electronics this thing does not come down like a brick as your Evo .
would.
So maybe we should be less critical and more applauding

They have a no fly zone in Merritt Island near me because they dont want someone to bother animals and birds in the area. Meantime when they launch a rocket at Cape Canaveral which is inside the refuge all hell breaks lose.

I disagree with your "we should applaud comment and also he endangered less people" To me any danger towards human life is one to many. Applauding someone for breaking laws and endangering anyone's life is unacceptable to me.
@HiloHawaiian who used to live on the islands can tell you just how many tourist helicopters flew over his house in a hour. One of the reasons he decided to move. With so many low flying helicopters he not only puts the lives of everyone onboard but those on the ground if he causes a crash.
This is my opinion and yours might be different.

I disagree with your "we should applaud comment and also he endangered less people" To me any danger towards human life is one to many. Applauding someone for breaking laws and endangering anyone's life is unacceptable to me.
@HiloHawaiian who used to live on the islands can tell you just how many tourist helicopters flew over his house in a hour. One of the reasons he decided to move. With so many low flying helicopters he not only puts the lives of everyone onboard but those on the ground if he causes a crash.
This is my opinion and yours might be different.
Well said, TY. Don’t get me started................

I dont see many helicopters flying below 200 ft and his FPV worked great.
Dont those helicopters in Hawaii break the rule by flying under 400 ft?

After all ALL airplane flying over head put us at risk. In FL a guy went jogging on the beach when a small plane emergency landed and killed him.
Then we have very many cases of them landing on public roads

Flying VLOS may help prevent an accident but not when a plane or copter sneaks upon you under 400 ft..

Mean time how many of you could say they never flew out of sight not even for a few seconds or didnt cross a road travelled by cars. Most likely none

But its your drone . Fly it and enjoy it the way you think is right

I dont see many helicopters flying below 200 ft and his FPV worked great.
Dont those helicopters in Hawaii break the rule by flying under 400 ft?

After all ALL airplane flying over head put us at risk. In FL a guy went jogging on the beach when a small plane emergency landed and killed him.
Then we have very many cases of them landing on public roads

Flying VLOS may help prevent an accident but not when a plane or copter sneaks upon you under 400 ft..

Mean time how many of you could say they never flew out of sight not even for a few seconds or didnt cross a road travelled by cars. Most likely none

But its your drone . Fly it and enjoy it the way you think is right
Actually tour helos are allowed to fly as low as 100'. Hawaii has a plague of those, just like Puerto Rico. I've actually had an encounter with one, where I had to drop 60' within a second to prevent a collisiom with one, at the beach. For some reason they don't follow the same rules as planes. Give me a little bit of time and I will find you more info on this, straight from the FAA.

Yep, I have seen military helicopters flying along the beach really low here in Fl. You easily could see the sun glasses on those sitting on the side of the copter.
But that is not right. A drone only area should be implemented. Not really for us but for the commercial drone flight of the future

At the bottom of this advisory for low flying aircraft from the FAA it states.

Helicopter operations may be conducted below the minimum altitudes set for fixed-wing aircraft. The reason: they have unique operating characteristics, the most important of which is their ability to execute pinpoint emergency landings during power-out emergencies. Furthermore, the helicopter's increased use by law enforcement and emergency medical service agencies requires added flexibility.

Reactions: Ansia
Still no reason not to set an altitude solely for drones ,lets say between 100 and 200 ft .. the planes might even hit a flock of geese or other birds at lower altitude

Still no reason not to set an altitude solely for drones ,lets say between 100 and 200 ft .. the planes might even hit a flock of geese or other birds at lower altitude

You really don't want that to happen. That will just open the door for commercial drones. You will see a set altitude for those commercial drones like Amazon and such that will steal some of the 400 foot ceiling you now have. If that ever happens you might as well say good bye to recreational flying.

At least commercial drones won’t be deafening.........hopefully....

I’ve told this before, but for you newbies, I had an FAA Investigator from Honolulu come to my house in Hilo, Hawaii, to investigate my complaint about constant low-flying helicopters. Nice guy, he told me (off the record), The Helicopter Association International lobbying group, has a seat at the FAA table for any proposed flight rule changes. The system is rigged. Unless there are specific exceptions for specific areas (very rare), helicopters have no minimum altitude. The rules are very loose.... a verbatim quote:

"A helicopter could legally fly down your street at 10' AGL, and be perfectly legal unless 'the flight endangered life or property'. ”

That's truly the bottomline. It’s written somewhere, buried deep from public review. It doesn’t matter if it’s commercial, police or emergency services. Unless there‘s a specific FAA exception, they really can fly as low, loud, and frequently as they desire. The only exception is VFR’s apply. If it’s stormy, only non-commercial can fly. As far as area restrictions— the only ones I know of as of 2016, are Crater Lake NP in Oregon (Or. Senators got a bill passed in the dead of night to ban Helo’s from Oregon’s NP’s). NYC cut them by 50%, and LA can’t figure out what to do (about anything, really, LOL). Rich folks in the Hampton’s told NY Senator Schumer they were tired of low, loud Helo’s overflying their summer retreats. If the Senator wanted the contributions to keep flowing, deal with it ASAP. Without a single hearing, the Senate Minority Leader forced Helo’s to fly higher and further off-shore. The reason stated by the FAA mandate was “noise abatement“. So, I tried to cut and paste that enacted FAA rule to Hawaii Island. You’d think I joined Al Queda. My small band of rebel home owners were attacked by every union, politician & business leader on the Island. Even my neighbor, Hawaii County mayor Harry Kim (a good guy), sided with the helicopters, even though they were flying directly over his house everyday too. Unions contribute..........

The single loudest devices allowed in public outside an airport‘s 5 mile perimeter zone are helicopters. So loud — if the same device was on the ground, it would violate 95% of the noise regulations world-wide. The vast majority of low, loud helicopters we all experience, are commercial-based, not police, military or EMT. They could all fly higher. It’s more fuel, more time, longer turnaround times. That’s their bottomline — but they deflect these facts, hiding behind police/fire/EMT accessibility/versatility. They lobby hard, and are in the driver’s seat, so the public suffers...

You can get a waiver but it involves a certain brand of parachute among other forms to fill out and approvals

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SycamoreGroves