Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Some ND Filter Clarity (see what i did there :-))

I disagree on the Neewer filters. They work pretty darn good for me. I had Polarpro on my Yuneec quad and they were garbage. Big dark ring around the outside edges with those.
Hated them.

Hello,

First of all I'm pretty new to this whole thing so please excuse any of my "rookieness".

So in the attempt to get some really sharp and colorful images/video I bought myself a set of Neewer ND Filters. Of course I probably should have known how to use them first but what's the fun of that?

Anyway. . . Two questions (lots of words):

In reading posts on this forum and watching YouTube videos I've learned quite a bit. But in THIS very useful video, which is specific to the DJI, they mention a displayed value in the app that I don't believe is available to X-Star users. I wanted to see if there's someway for us to do the same thing.

At about :45 into the video he talks about how to determine the best ND filter to use. He says to set the video to 4k at 24fps, then the ISO to 100 and the shutter value to 50. All makes sense. But then on the bottom he has a reading that says +2.0 which he says tells us that we are two stops overexposed. THATS what I think we're missing with the X-Star. With this value he then determines that in manual mode we'll want to use a ND 4 filter which is a 2 stop reduction. Using this filter will optically correct the +2 value that was displayed making for a great video.

So my question. . . Does that value display anywhere in the Autel software? If not, what's the best way to pick which ND filter to use?

The second question . . . The filters I have also have a PL filter (ring). How does that work?

THANKS for any feedback.
Put your cp filter on. Fire up the drone. Point it at your windshield, the surface of a pond, anything else that reflects light. Now, watch your live view on the app, and turn the ring. You'll see it work.
d1d64d3f2d0da519527b6fbe4aa6fc25.jpg

I disagree on the Neewer filters. They work pretty darn good for me. I had Polarpro on my Yuneec quad and they were garbage. Big dark ring around the outside edges with those.
Hated them.
Hmmmm. I bought a set of Neewer filters, and two of them had chips of glass missing near the outside edge where the glass meets the ring. Also, a good check of quality, is to hold them up and look at something lacy, against a well lit window. If it's crap, you'll see aberrations in the image through the filter. As I did with the Neewer filters, as well.

Well I'm sure there are good and bad in every product. I run the ND4 99.9% of the time, even in low light conditions. This winter running the ND16 with bright sunshine and white snow has improved my videos greatly. If I buy another filter for the X-Star I will be getting the Freewell ND1000 for daylight long exposure. I have that water falls up the road just waiting for this filter :)
AUTEL ROBOTIC X-STAR ND1000 FILTER - FREEWELL GEAR

Well I'm sure there are good and bad in every product. I run the ND4 99.9% of the time, even in low light conditions. This winter running the ND16 with bright sunshine and white snow has improved my videos greatly. If I buy another filter for the X-Star I will be getting the Freewell ND1000 for daylight long exposure. I have that water falls up the road just waiting for this filter :)
AUTEL ROBOTIC X-STAR ND1000 FILTER - FREEWELL GEAR
Might be overkill. I've done plenty of waterfalls, just with an nd32. Think i posted one of them, earlier. Opinions were it had too much blur.

Here's my PolarPro results. Photo is unedited. No color grading. ND16/CP. CP set to minimal.MAX_0013.JPG

I have done waterfalls at night, hard not to get blur on the finer things like lights.

Was hoping more for something like this from the DSLR camera.
FB_IMG_1466307587993.jpg

Was hoping something like this from the DSLR camera.

The Falls2_InPixio.jpg

Reactions: KentA
I have done waterfalls at night, hard not to get blur on the finer things like lights.

Was hoping more for something like this from the DSLR camera.
View attachment 1904

Was hoping something like this from the DSLR camera.

View attachment 1905
Set your drone on a picnic table...lol. Yeah, it's tough. The drone isn't a tripod. That's why I think that nd100 might be too much, and money thrown away.

Put your cp filter on. Fire up the drone. Point it at your windshield, the surface of a pond, anything else that reflects light. Now, watch your live view on the app, and turn the ring. You'll see it work.
View attachment 1899
Ok, I have to admit. I am really in awe by you guys who get photography and can "do the math" on the fly (pun intended). Sorry, It's Greek to me. My office makes more sense to me.

Attachments

• New Panel.jpg
    New Panel.jpg
    228.5 KB · Views: 9
Reactions: Jagerbomb52
Is that handle in the lower left the emergency brake?

Not exactly. Unlike the new xsp shown at CES 2017, this model actually has retractable gear. That handle has 3 positions UP DOWN AND OFF. Why it’s for is self explanatory and it’s proper functioning ensures your going to have a better day than not.

Not sure why it would have a "OFF" LOL
To me that would say I hope you have your parachute on bud because we are not landing today with the landing gear :)

Not sure why it would have a "OFF" LOL
To me that would say I hope you have your parachute on bud because we are not landing today with the landing gear :)
If it didn’t have an off position, your likely to have a real bad day.

The gear are hydraulic actuated. Turning off the hydraulic gear pumps releases the pressure in the system and allows the gear to “sit in the Locks” within the gear bays. This prevents the pumps from burning out and the gear from subsequently falling out during Flight (no bueno). They would rip off and ruin your day and at Mach+, cause you to pull another handle right between your legs (and pray).

CPL need to be constantly adjusted (called the 'angle') to get the best saturation by turning the front rim of the filter. This is a problem with drones as once airborne you have no way to adjust it so don't waist your money :)

CPL need to be constantly adjusted (called the 'angle') to get the best saturation by turning the front rim of the filter. This is a problem with drones as once airborne you have no way to adjust it so don't waist your money :)
Note to self. Thanks

You just have to decide what angle you're going to shoot it from. Circular polarized filters work best with the sun at a 90° angle from your view. Or, if you're just going for the nd portion of the combo, don't worry about it. Then again, at times, you might want the reflection off water, or ice, or whatever.

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials