Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

So help me out here!

Not sure where exactly to post my thoughts on this, since there now seems to be several threads following this same vein, but I'm guessing right here is as good a place as any :).

Anyone new to this forum or Autel in general may not realize that for most of the past year, self-professed industry “experts” have been offering up their remarkable insight by providing with their opinions that Autel is a dying company destined for impending doom; that they can’t possibly survive another couple of months; that they have no idea of what they’re doing and they look like some two-bit outfit working out of someone’s garage. I can even remember one day last spring when the Autel website was down for maintenance that there was no shortage of “experts” jumping in to let us know that the end was here, that the company obviously had shuttered it’s operation overnight and left us all hanging, and we were all idiots for supporting a non-DJI company in the first place. And yet, here we are, with the introduction of an exciting new product and new east coast facility to improve what is already excellent customer service. I realize that when it comes to “trash-talking” it is sometimes difficult to tell the difference between someone offering a legitimate opinion and some troll just looking for a reaction, but it would be nice if just one of the “naysayers” would admit they were wrong (not holding my breath on that one!).

Now that the dust from last week has settled a little, there’s a number of statements that I’ve seen folks putting out there that to me are simply “misrepresentations of reality”, and I think are worth looking at from a fresh perspective. Just one person's opinions, that's all.

For starters, I just don’t get this notion that we XSP owners have been “abandoned” by Autel. To me, “abandonment” would be if they sent everyone home, closed the doors and said they were just not going to do the drone thing any more. Clearly that is not the case. New products get introduced and old ones get discontinued every day. Maybe some people would have had less heartburn over the new model if they had called it the XSP2 instead of the EVO, but that wouldn’t make much sense from a marketing perspective.

Autel has acknowledged that they made a mistake by announcing two camera modules at the 2017 CES that they were unable to actually provide at the quality and price they felt was required, and have made a commitment not to repeat that mistake in the future. They have also made a commitment to provide ongoing support for the X-Star “as long as it is needed”. There are thousands of X-Stars currently flying; I don’t believe anyone at Autel has any intention of seeing them become obsolete paperweights any time in the foreseeable future.

Back in 1989 (yeah, I know, ancient history) when it was announced that by beloved Nikon F3 was going to be replaced by the revolutionary new F4, I don’t remember anyone saying they had been “abandoned”, “screwed over”, “scammed”, or “lied to” by Nikon. The company had, in fact, attempted to modernize the F3 by developing an autofocus version, but it quickly became apparent that in order to make all the improvements they felt were necessary would require an entirely new platform, hence the birth of the F4, which at the time was the most technologically advanced 35mm camera ever produced. Instead of feeling like they had been somehow left adrift by Nikon, most photographers I know responded by embracing the new technology and buying an F4. I actually see a lot of parallels with the XSP and the EVO (except of course, that back in 1991 when I bought an F4 it was a $2000 investment for just a camera body, as compared to only $1000 today for an incredibly advanced drone/camera package).

I also don’t believe it is an accurate statement to say that nothing Autel introduced at the 2017 CES ever materialized. Yes, they presented two camera modules that didn’t come to fruition. Every other piece of hardware they presented was offered as “conceptual”, and at least three of those concepts have actually materialized on the EVO - dynamic tracking, obstacle avoidance and a built-in monitor on the controller. As for the two modules, most of the comments I see regarding the FLIR Duo reflect disappointment over the poor resolution, and Autel has indicated they were not satisfied with the overall performance of the camera. Price, I’m sure, was also a factor, and while some people speculated that the thermal camera should run around $350 for the camera/gimbal module, that’s frankly absurd since a standalone Duo retails for $995. I believe the same is true of the 1” camera, and while I would have been willing to spend up to $1000 for an improved camera (that still would be considerably less than any DSLR I’ve purchased in the past 15 years), that’s clearly not what a lot of folks had in mind. I’m pretty sure that if Autel had gone through with the production of the two modules at a price of say $995 each, a lot of the same folks who are complaining now would be screaming bloody murder over them charging more more a camera/gimbal than they did for the entire drone. Kind of a “no-win” situation.

I guess it’s fair enough to call the XSP a “dying product”, but in reality just about every piece off technology hardware begins the process of “dying” the day it’s released. I’ve got a $500 iPhone 4 collecting dust in a drawer somewhere; I’m sure the development of the iPhone 5 was well under way the day I bought it, and I’m pretty sure whatever drone replaces the EVO is already on the drawing board somewhere. We live in a world where technology advances so rapidly that many products are already out of date by the time they hit the store shelves.

I see many references to the DJI lawsuits, with the implication that being sued by them is a death knell for any other drone company. I think it’s worth pointing out that while DJI is quite adept at filing lawsuits, they are not particularly successful at actually winning them. In fact, they have not won any suits they filed to date, and they currently actually have two patent infringement cases filed against them. They lost their suit with Yuneec, they lost their bid for an initial “cease and desist” order against Autel in the Delaware suit, and the Washington suit is seemingly “dead in the water” with no action at all for more than 4 months and nothing scheduled. Lawsuits are just one of the tactics used by DJI in the relentless pursuit of their stated goal of eliminating all competition and gaining control over 100% of the consumer drone market, and are just a part of life of any company presenting any kind of serious challenge to them.

As for the availability of repair parts, I don’t believe the lack of products listed on Autel’s website has anything to do with their ability to provide repairs. It’s been many months since I’ve seen the camera/gimbal assembly listed, and to my knowledge they’ve never offered the direct sale of items like motors and circuit boards. Regardless, I have never heard or read of a single case in which they were not able to repair a drone due to a lack of parts. That includes replacing defective batteries, even if shown “out of stock” on the website. They made a decision from the beginning that they wanted to be responsible for all repairs to ensure quality control and to learn where potential weaknesses may be. You can argue whether or not that’s fair, but it’s just their way of doing things.

If there comes a point in the distant future where compatibility between an unsupported Starlink app and an updated operating system actually becomes an issue, it seems the easy solution is to do what many of us already do, which is to use a device exclusively dedicated to the X-Star. Establish a working configuration, turn off automatic updates so that nothing changes, and you should be good to go for the foreseeable future.

With respect to the EVO, I think it’s an inaccurate characterization to dismiss it as merely a Mavic “clone”. Every report I have seen indicates that, beyond the inherent similarities that any folding quad would exhibit, it is truly a remarkable, innovative machine that stands on its own. Next week when the updated Mavic is presented, it will no doubt include some of the innovations shown on the EVO. Will people then refer to the new Mavic as an EVO “clone”? Probably not.

Finally, (I know this is lengthy and I sincerely appreciate your time if you’ve made it this far :)) I’ve seen several recent posts touting DJI’s “improved” customer service. If that’s truly the case, one thing you can be sure of is that it’s not because DJI has suddenly developed a caring “soft spot” for their customers, but rather a direct result of competition from companies like Autel. To me, that demonstrates the importance of continuing to support Autel, and the willingness to forgive missteps that are common in any new venture. Survival of competition is up to us, the consumer, and it’s the only way we can ensure that we will continue to have freedom of choice in the consumer drone market. I think that’s good for all of us.

Sundog - I’m learning a lot from you, thanks. Your thoughts seem fair and honest (at least through your eyes). While I am just starting this hobby, I have worked for several startup companies and I'll tell you the hard part, whether establishing your brand or, trying to gain market share, here's the issue; you want to buy a new drone (as I do) from a company that will be in business for the next 10 years. You’ll spend hard earned money, so which company do you buy from? Do you risk buying from a company that is perceived to be financially weak (or not as strong as other companies), lacking resources, understaffed in many areas, ... as compared to the safer #1 supplier / manufacturer of what-ever-it-is you want to buy. All manufacturers have issues from time-to-time with support, production, technical issues, ... but you’ll buy the best you can afford, from an established manufacturer. Given similar pricing, features, reliability, ... how do the #2, 3, 4 companies gain market share - even though they may have a decent product? I'd say most drone buyers looking to spend $700-$1000 are interested in the EVO - but DJI will have a press announcement later next week. Let's assume they have an EVO clone. Given the success of the Mavic, DJI will build on it’s reputation, and market dominance, in this price range. While there will be product issues, there is no chance the company will go out of business, and they have the money and support structure to endure. Look, I have no horse in this race. I will make a buying decision based on support, price, availability, specs, flight time, and so on... but assuming both new products are close to the same, I have to buy from the company that has the best chance to be around and support the product for years to come. Based ONLY on what I have read, this is where Autel will have difficulty getting my money. I don't own an Autel product, nor a DJI product, but at some point I'll have to choose a drone, assuming I buy one at all. Yuneec?, Autel?, DJI?, other?

If you were Autel’s Product Manager, how would you market the EVO? Your job: gain market share. How do you do that? Superior specs? Nope, all will be close. Lower price point? - doubtful as you need to stay in business. Better support? - while nice in theory, we can call that a wash. More inventory? doubtful.

Autel will soon be giving product to reviewers and we’ll be reading, and watching YouTube video, about how great the product is. What will differentiate the EVO from other newly announced drones? Autel better hope there is some unique feature that we all ‘must have’ else most will buy from a manufacturer that we know will support the product AND be in business for the next 10+ years. I hope the best for Autel as I'm looking at the EVO - but if DJI introduces something similar, I'm more then likely going to buy the DJI product.

An interesting discussion.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think a lot of people are mistaking the disappointment/abandonment issue. They are not saying they are disappointed because of no support. They are feeling this way because of false promises (which were a lot). I can understand the people standing up for Autel but most that are, have not been around for long and it seems they are just trying to make themselves feel better by backing the company that seems to have left us in the blue. I'm hoping I will feel different soon.

I think a lot of people are mistaking the disappointment/abandonment issue. They are not saying they are disappointed because of no support. They are feeling this way because of false promises (which were a lot). I can understand the people standing up for Autel but most that are, have not been around for long and it seems they are just trying to make themselves feel better by backing the company that seems to have left us in the blue. I'm hoping I will feel different soon.
Just to clarify one thing, I'm not saying that I'm not disappointed, it's just that I don't feel that Autel as a company has "abandoned" me by discontinuing the X-Star in favor of a new and more advanced product. I am indeed very disappointed that the modular camera concept didn't work out, it was one of the major reasons I bought the XSP in the first place. I will say, however, I don't feel quite as disappointed now as I did last week; time is a marvelous healer:). The reality is that the concept is now gone, and I at least have to give them some credit for trying something different.

While I've been involved with photography for a very long time (anybody remember the Kodak Instamatic? That was my first "real" camera, $16 back in 1963), I am new to the drone world. In fact, I pretty much ignored them until the cameras started getting good enough to provide what I consider acceptable quality. I had never heard of Autel until the day I bought my XSP last March. I was on eBay, literally one click away from purchasing a refurbished P3 from the DJI store, my idea being I would buy something cheap to learn with, then move up to one of the more advanced models once I gained some experience. At the last minute, my eye caught the little banner at the top of the eBay listing that stated there were "more than 1500 available". At the time (and I can't say if this is still true) DJI touted their refurbished products as those that had been returned during their "7 day trial period", and refurbished to factory specs. The thought that suddenly popped into my head was "Wow, that's a lot of dissatisfied customers!" So instead of clicking "Buy Now" I started doing a little research into DJI initial quality and customer service, and started seeing all kinds of complaints about things like new products delivered DOA, unresolved performance issues, poor customer service, etc., and decided that was not for me. I'm sure it was somewhere in that process that Autel popped up; at the time they were completely unknown to me. The only other drone I had looked into was from Yuneec (mainly because it was on sale at Costco), but frankly, they didn't appear to be nearly as technically advanced as the Phantom. I don't know if that's even true, but it was my impression at the time.

Once I discovered Autel and started looking at the quality of the photos and videos folks were getting with the X-Star, along with the great reviews the company was getting for quality and customer service, I was pretty much hooked. And the promise of being able to upgrade the camera in the future meant I wouldn't be needing to buy another drone. I will say, however, that once I started seeing the terrific quality that the existing camera was capable of, my desire for the 1" camera started to fade a little. Not saying I no longer was interested, but from looking at all the really spectacular examples of great work from the X-Star, it became pretty clear (to me), that if I wasn't able to accomplish most of what I wanted with the original camera, there was nothing about the 1" sensor that was going to change anything. There is nothing magical about having more megapixels that will somehow turn a poor photographer/videographer into a good one. The larger sensor certainly is more desirable, and perhaps even necessary, for things like precision mapping, large format enlargements and broadcast quality video, and I believe I would have eventually purchased one had it ever become a reality, but by and large my XSP does just about everything else I want to do.

All that being said, if I can get advanced flight systems, better camera quality and the same outstanding Autel build quality in a compact, take-anywhere package like the EVO, in roughly the same price range I would have expected to pay just for an upgraded camera, I'm all in!

Last edited:
Reactions: KentA
Kroorda, I enjoyed reading your positive words about Autel. I personally will not buy DJI...just something about a company that wants no competition that turns me off, despite some here who continually like to show preference to DJI, which seems odd because I would feel weird bashing DJI on their forums.

I know Estes Park well, and have a sister who lived there for many years that I visited often. I considered moving there, but luck is taking me to western Colorado and the Grand Valley, where the mountains are totally different. I am a certified pilot and will try to market my services to mountain bikers there who ride the many open trails, mostly free of any impediments such as trees in that desert-like environment. The X-Star follow mode may be great for that, and the Evo may be even better. Where I live now in Missouri, is so boring, horizon-to-horizon carpets of trees. Getting aerial shots of buildings is mainly what a pilot does here.

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coastaldrone