Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Smart controller antenna options

And just tried these
Yes I know that clover leaf antennas should be matched, but when I tested these some time ago on the live deck they worked great so I thought I’d test them. Sure enough, they did actually perform better than the stock antennas. I’m talking at long range that I wouldn’t ordinarily fly at so I won’t be going the option of connecting these for every flight. The stock antennas are fine. But I do find it strange these work better. 446B50C0-1CB4-405F-B95F-5F131AF530C9.jpeg

I'm in the middle of adding internal boosters to the SC

Thanks for experimenting with all this! How did these setups perform compared to your Alientech on the SC?

Is anyone seeing any range improvement over the stock EVO 2 controller with the stock SC antennas? I am certainly not! Same crappy range of 1.5 miles at best, before video freezes up, and aircraft initiates RTH! Some 8 miles! :rolleyes:

I definitely have improved signal.
Where are you flying? Im in a CE country and get an easy 3km with stock antennas. If i were to go out to flat country Im sure I’d get more.
have you tried a different location for range testing? Something environmental could be an issue where you are.
I honestly dont think the battery would do an 8mile / 16mile round trip

Isn’t it line of sight rules.Why would you want this range extender .

Reactions: JTZ
It is line of sight rules without approvals. However BVLOS and EVLOS approvals can be had with the right certifications and paperwork.
Its also about experimenting with different options for the sake of it. Its part of the hobby for some people.

Dont assume everyone flys the same operations as you.
i understand that we should all help to educate our new flyers, but i do get annoyed at people always feeling the need to pipe in with “their” view to make mentions of the obvious, but add nothing to the conversation.

Last edited:
that's amazing. never a bad thing to have more range. pls include a few links if you could in case some of us would like to make a purchase; thanks.

Reactions: Waldo Pepper
i dont have any links on hand. It was just put together with stuff i have in my kit. So many bits and pieces that i sometimes forget what i even have haha

Reactions: G_G
I definitely have improved signal.
Where are you flying? Im in a CE country and get an easy 3km with stock antennas. If i were to go out to flat country Im sure I’d get more.
have you tried a different location for range testing? Something environmental could be an issue where you are.
I honestly dont think the battery would do an 8mile / 16mile round trip
I've actually done a 10 mile round trip with an evo2 remote with an Alientech power amplified boosted antenna. The antenna is 350 U.S. dollars. Needless to say elevation and distance rules were neglected. It actually made it 5 miles out and 5 miles back. 5 miles is 26,000 feet. I had to hit 500 ft alt at the 5 mile mark to maintain signal stability. Also, needless to say, I had zero percent battery when I landed at my home point. And yes, I actually made it back to the home point. It was trying to force land me the last 1000 ft home, but I just kept the altitude stick up and was still flying at 0 percent. I was very lucky making it all the way to my launch point , I was also lucky the drone didn't fall out of the sky. That was the first and only test I did and it was over a year ago. I don't feel the need to try it again. And for all of you that read this, it's needless to mention the letters V L O and S. This was a test, just a test of the emergency broadcasting system. It was only a test. beeeeeeeeeeeep beeeeeeeeep.
Isn’t it line of sight rules.Why would you want this range extender .
Regarding what are called "RANGE" extenders. I believe it's the only way to advertise a product that amplifies the strength of an R/C. Strength is gauged by range as a universal way of describing how well your signal booster works. Range isn't always the reason to buy "Range" extenders. It's about maintaining a strong connection between you and your drone, even in harsh conditions, like wooded areas, high rise buildings, high WIFI interference areas, areas where you may need to duck behind a building or a bridge during inspections without losing your signal, and to reduce the latency between the commands you send to your drone and the signal that gets sent back to your drone, and a load of other reasons. So the only way a company can advertise how strong a signal their product actually outputs and receives is by using range as the universal measurement system. So In my case, The alientech 2.4 ghz power amplified antenna booster gave me up to 5 miles of distance from the controller over a flat, non residential, non commercial, and non travelled area (ie no flights and or cars) while the winds were essentially zero at all altitudes. The old OEM antennas only gave me 2-3 miles under the same conditions. Anyway my point: RANGE = STRENGTH and equals how much the advertiser can charge you.

• Love
Reactions: G_G and PingSpike
I've actually done a 10 mile round trip with an evo2 remote with an Alientech power amplified boosted antenna. The antenna is 350 U.S. dollars. Needless to say elevation and distance rules were neglected. It actually made it 5 miles out and 5 miles back. 5 miles is 26,000 feet. I had to hit 500 ft alt at the 5 mile mark to maintain signal stability. Also, needless to say, I had zero percent battery when I landed at my home point. And yes, I actually made it back to the home point. It was trying to force land me the last 1000 ft home, but I just kept the altitude stick up and was still flying at 0 percent. I was very lucky making it all the way to my launch point , I was also lucky the drone didn't fall out of the sky. That was the first and only test I did and it was over a year ago. I don't feel the need to try it again. And for all of you that read this, it's needless to mention the letters V L O and S. This was a test, just a test of the emergency broadcasting system. It was only a test. beeeeeeeeeeeep beeeeeeeeep.

Regarding what are called "RANGE" extenders. I believe it's the only way to advertise a product that amplifies the strength of an R/C. Strength is gauged by range as a universal way of describing how well your signal booster works. Range isn't always the reason to buy "Range" extenders. It's about maintaining a strong connection between you and your drone, even in harsh conditions, like wooded areas, high rise buildings, high WIFI interference areas, areas where you may need to duck behind a building or a bridge during inspections without losing your signal, and to reduce the latency between the commands you send to your drone and the signal that gets sent back to your drone, and a load of other reasons. So the only way a company can advertise how strong a signal their product actually outputs and receives is by using range as the universal measurement system. So In my case, The alientech 2.4 ghz power amplified antenna booster gave me up to 5 miles of distance from the controller over a flat, non residential, non commercial, and non travelled area (ie no flights and or cars) while the winds were essentially zero at all altitudes. The old OEM antennas only gave me 2-3 miles under the same conditions. Anyway my point: RANGE = STRENGTH and equals how much the advertiser can charge you.
i would like to see flight log also the stock antennas are are to reach 25,000 ft

i would like to see flight log also the stock antennas are are to reach 25,000 ft
Do you mean, an autel evo2 will go 25000 ft with stalk antennas? I could never get past 18000 ft with stalk antennas.

I just did a flight test again. I screen recorded much of it. It hit 26200ft and I made it back with 10% battery upon landing. Average speed was 40mph. It was flying in Ludicrous mode believe it not. Autel may be wrong about exact flight time, but this thing sure beats the competition. Yup, 5 Miles is definitely doable. I was actually flying sideways. It keeps the batteries cooler by 15 degrees F over sustained , high speed flights. At 26200 ft I had 2 bars on the reception icon, I didn't think I needed to push it to the exact 26400 feet of 5 miles exactly. The 10% battery at landing proves the batteries are fully capable of 10 miles of total flight distance on one full charge.. But no more than that. If you can't accept this i'll try loading a fast forwarded clip at some point. Have some faith.

Make note, If you were flying normally, stopping, moving the gimbal, taking pictures, recording video, turning, going up and down the amount of flight distance you would get and flight time you would get would be significantly reduced. These high flight time numbers we get from Autel and DJI are probably derived from wind tunnel flights.

Reactions: G_G
Do you mean, an autel evo2 will go 25000 ft with stalk antennas? I could never get past 18000 ft with stalk antennas.

I just did a flight test again. I screen recorded much of it. It hit 26200ft and I made it back with 10% battery upon landing. Average speed was 40mph. It was flying in Ludicrous mode believe it not. Autel may be wrong about exact flight time, but this thing sure beats the competition. Yup, 5 Miles is definitely doable. I was actually flying sideways. It keeps the batteries cooler by 15 degrees F over sustained , high speed flights. At 26200 ft I had 2 bars on the reception icon, I didn't think I needed to push it to the exact 26400 feet of 5 miles exactly. The 10% battery at landing proves the batteries are fully capable of 10 miles of total flight distance on one full charge.. But no more than that. If you can't accept this i'll try loading a fast forwarded clip at some point. Have some faith.

Make note, If you were flying normally, stopping, moving the gimbal, taking pictures, recording video, turning, going up and down the amount of flight distance you would get and flight time you would get would be significantly reduced. These high flight time numbers we get from Autel and DJI are probably derived from wind tunnel flights.
yes the autel SC will go 25,000+ ft distant with stock antennas

Oh, I didn't realize you were talking about the smart controller. Did you test it yourself.
A RANGE TEST WITH ALIENTECH's $350 power amplified antenna. It Doubled my distance.
Here is a link to a 26150 ft journey. Not saying is was me personally. It's a recording of a recording. Safety first.??
It starts at about 25000 ft then hits 26150ft at the 3 second mark and then returns home, is fast forwarded and lands. Battery data is shown at the end on the screen recording.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials