Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Signal / Connectivity / Distance in city

smithlaw

Reaction score
I am looking to replacing my now broken Mavic Pro (older model), and of course went to the DJI site to see what new options they have. I see the new Air 2s boasts better distance and signal in congested areas, etc. But, I have my eye set on the Evo 2 Pro for several reasons. But, the only thing holding me back right now is being unsure of the connectivity in town with trees and wifi around. Can someone weigh in on this? I was able to get the Mavic Pro around 2500-3000ft away from my home before having signal issues (a few miles in open countryside). I believe the new Occusense or whatever system DJI has would do better than that with the new drones they have. But, I want to make sure the EVO will be at least as good or better than what I have been used to.

Thank you!

I avoid humans and there activities, but through trees, brush, hillsides, i'm out to 4000' + and NEVER lost signal
I also never fly with apple or google, so can't speak to that for interference

I am looking to replacing my now broken Mavic Pro (older model), and of course went to the DJI site to see what new options they have. I see the new Air 2s boasts better distance and signal in congested areas, etc. But, I have my eye set on the Evo 2 Pro for several reasons. But, the only thing holding me back right now is being unsure of the connectivity in town with trees and wifi around. Can someone weigh in on this? I was able to get the Mavic Pro around 2500-3000ft away from my home before having signal issues (a few miles in open countryside). I believe the new Occusense or whatever system DJI has would do better than that with the new drones they have. But, I want to make sure the EVO will be at least as good or better than what I have been used to.

Thank you!

Ah, the original Mavic Pro; I still have a soft spot for that one. I don't have any experience with signal congestion but mu gut says the Mavic Air2s will probably be better since it can use both 5.8Ghz and 2.4 GHz while the E2P is 2.4 only. The higher band might help in areas with dense wifi.

There are other tradeoffs between the 2. The E2P is a little clunkier to fly than the original MP where the MA2(S) feels more like a sports car. The E2P has (almost) 360° OA that sometimes can get in the way while the MA2 can still be flown sideways into a house (I know that from experience). Both now have 1inch camera sensors, the E2P has adjustable aperture though. If you are looking for smooth curved turns in preprogrammed missions or to fly with Litchi, stick with DJI.

Reactions: Mavic Rick
I had two pretty big crashes with my Mavic which were from me flying sideways into tree branches so I think the obstacle avoidance will be something I appreciate. also, I never really used the pre-programmed flights and miss the bigger, more stable feel from my old phantom three. So with those things in mind, I think I may enjoy the E2P. Thanks for the info!
Ah, the original Mavic Pro; I still have a soft spot for that one. I don't have any experience with signal congestion but mu gut says the Mavic Air2s will probably be better since it can use both 5.8Ghz and 2.4 GHz while the E2P is 2.4 only. The higher band might help in areas with dense wifi.

There are other tradeoffs between the 2. The E2P is a little clunkier to fly than the original MP where the MA2(S) feels more like a sports car. The E2P has (almost) 360° OA that sometimes can get in the way while the MA2 can still be flown sideways into a house (I know that from experience). Both now have 1inch camera sensors, the E2P has adjustable aperture though. If you are looking for smooth curved turns in preprogrammed missions or to fly with Litchi, stick with DJI.

I had two pretty big crashes with my Mavic which were from me flying sideways into tree branches so I think the obstacle avoidance will be something I appreciate. also, I never really used the pre-programmed flights and miss the bigger, more stable feel from my old phantom three. So with those things in mind, I think I may enjoy the E2P. Thanks for the info!
Those crashes costs hundreds$$ each!

I use the 4Hawks and have got 3miles without 1 frame drop on the FPV. Don't get me wrong I do not condone flying that far away. It was only for testing. My normal flights are in high noise areas, so the 4Hawks work great!

Thank you!

It has been my experience so far that the E2P has slightly longer range than the P4 and Mavic Pro in congested areas. By slightly I'd say a couple hundred feet at best. Where it really shines is when there is no interference. When there is absolutely no interference or obstructions (straight out over the ocean and back, antennas pointed down, facing the aircraft at all times) the only limitation is the battery; at only 100' AGL with no wind you are looking at around 5 miles out / 10 miles round trip and landing with about 5% battery remaining. The P4 and Mavic Pro in the same scenario had to be around 400' AGL to get the same distance.

I would assume since the E2P is only slightly better in congested areas than the P4 and Mavic Pro...any DJI drone equipped with OccuSync 2 will perform better in congested areas. Of course the new smart controller claims that it will increase the range; but then again they also claim the EVO II will fly for 40 minutes....so I'd take that claim with a lot of grains of salt.

Reactions: Theborg
It has been my experience so far that the E2P has slightly longer range than the P4 and Mavic Pro in congested areas. By slightly I'd say a couple hundred feet at best. Where it really shines is when there is no interference. When there is absolutely no interference or obstructions (straight out over the ocean and back, antennas pointed down, facing the aircraft at all times) the only limitation is the battery; at only 100' AGL with no wind you are looking at around 5 miles out / 10 miles round trip and landing with about 5% battery remaining. The P4 and Mavic Pro in the same scenario had to be around 400' AGL to get the same distance.

I would assume since the E2P is only slightly better in congested areas than the P4 and Mavic Pro...any DJI drone equipped with OccuSync 2 will perform better in congested areas. Of course the new smart controller claims that it will increase the range; but then again they also claim the EVO II will fly for 40 minutes....so I'd take that claim with a lot of grains of salt.
I agree with this - over water with no structure or interference the E2P wins. My Mavic pro actually does better than my E2P when there are houses or trees in the way. The E2P lost signal about 100 yards earlier than my Mavic Pro did.

Reactions: herein2021

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials