Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Safety Concern that Autel is not addressing.

BlairAir

Reaction score
I brought this up in a few threads in early October when first using my V2 Smart Controller. Here we are in mid-December and to my knowledge, nothing has changed.

I also got zero response to multiple attempts to alert Autel that a 3 second delay on the "Pause/Stop/Brake/Emergency/Oh ****" button was unacceptable and dangerous. Am I to believe that basically no one I reached at Autel found this as alarming as I do? With this post, I'm trying yet again to get a fix for it, so when the drone is in autonomous flight, such as a mission, or landing sequence, and a collision appears imminent, we can press the Pause button and the drone will immediately pause and hover. This is substantially better than a bloodless white thumb, pressing that button with about 50 lb./ft of torque -and an equally torqued sphinter at the pilots nether regions as the drone continues toward, say, a situationally unaware 8 year old child's HEAD, and no corresponding STOP is occurring with the aircraft for 1 Mississippi - 2 Mississippi - 3 Mississippi... Lawsuit Mississippi, or Missouri, or anywhere in this country or any other for that matter. I have actually had a few landings where I didn't like the trajectory of the drone, and when it's coming down at say 4-6 ft/second, and the delay is 3 full seconds... well, do the math. That's 12-18 feet 9f travel vs. what? 6-12 INCHES on the standard controller? A delay for hardware buttons is great for a takeoff or power button to avoid accidental activation - but potentially deadly on a BRAKE button.

I alerted Autel to this back when I received it at the beginning of October. Over 2 months ago. I say again: Obviously Autel does not see this with the same urgency I do. Or any urgency at all.

Very troubling. It has to be that I am failing to get word to the right people and the right resources. But I do believe I looked up contact info for multiple people at Autel, including John Mcbride, as well as writing to support, sales, marketing. I copied Advexure on it, I let other resellers know about it. To date? Even the crickets are not chirping.

I hate to say it, but I am so frustrated, I need to say it. It looks like Autel is not going to focus on this or pay attention to my red flag waving until someone gets hurt, or something expensive gets damaged and a lawsuit happens. Why does it happen this way so often? This is almost certainly a firmware fix.

I have done everything I can think of to call attention to it, short of making an alarming click-bait sounding video, and I am not sure that would help with my cheesy 130 subscriber YouTube channel. If anyone has a suggestion, please pass it along.

I have been looking at your videos on you tube - Thank you for all the valuable information!
I agree that this issue has serious potential, I in turn have high hopes for the Autel smart controller in general as time goes by.

Have any others been able to duplicate this issue with lag on the E- Brake button?

I myself have not as I am brand new to drones and to Autel and as such do not have the equipment to run a series of comp tests that would allow for some snowballing to attract attention from the Autel powers that be..

Thank you for your kind words. For now it's a simple timing control on that button. I believe they could have dress it without too much work but that's just my opinion. Personally, I would just like to hear that they are acknowledging it and are working on it.

FYI/FWIW

Caveat: Have not tried this when aircraft is in the air, only on the ground and with the props off.

Have found situations where when rev motors up (would normally have taken off and hover), then throttle down as though landing and trying to cut the power, motors keep running, try the both sticks down and inward, no luck, then stumbled on left stick down, right stick down and inward, motors shutdown. Not sure if its something I have in my settings or controller config, however found it an odd sequence.

FYI/FWIW

Caveat: Have not tried this when aircraft is in the air, only on the ground and with the props off.

Have found situations where when rev motors up (would normally have taken off and hover), then throttle down as though landing and trying to cut the power, motors keep running, try the both sticks down and inward, no luck, then stumbled on left stick down, right stick down and inward, motors shutdown. Not sure if its something I have in my settings or controller config, however found it an odd sequence.
Strange that both sticks down and inward doesn't disarm the motors. I have seen a single stick down and inward command but only when on the ground.

Reactions: gschulzuio

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bigmaxsg