Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Rules and regulations

Peter Goldwing

Reaction score
Im trying to find all info to enjoy flying my Evo safely and legally.

So I have a few questions.
It looks like part 107 does not apply to me since that is for commercial operations.
Part 101 is for amateurs flying for fun. That describes me.
Where in there says a drone have to be registered (show exact location pls such as 101.???)
Flying from a moving boat car etc is not permitted unless you are in a sparsely populated area.
Isnt that redundant since flying over people is not permitted anywhere?( sometime they say "over people" others times they refer to densely grouped people . Stadium ,parades, main street etc
Why flying at night is restricted even, lets say, you keep it at less then 200Ft altitude in the boondocks

Do this regulation apply for drones under .5 lb (such as my SJRC)?

Part 107 does not apply to any unmanned aircraft subject to the provisions of part 101. ( copied from FAA site)

It looks like FAA has a long way to go to set up these rules clearly

Last edited:
Reactions: Drgnfli
All drones from .55lbs to 55lbs must be registered, regardless of intent.
Screenshot_20200510-142153.png

You can never fly over people. The reason for the car/boat rule, is to make sure that if anything goes wrong, you can crash in open space. When you are inside a moving vehicle, your awareness over the drone changes and it becomes more difficult to control. If you did this inside a heavily populated city, most likely you will end up hurting someone or damaging someone else's property. It's to prevent that.

As for the night flying rule, you are actually allowed to fly at night as part 101. FAA failed to include this rule and yet for 107, we need special permit.

All regulations apply for all drones, regardless of weight.

Part 107 is needed for commercial use, but it can be used for other purposes besides commercial.

All drones from .55lbs to 55lbs must be registered, regardless of intent.
View attachment 6890
If you did this inside a heavily populated city, most likely you will end up hurting someone or damaging someone else's property. It's to prevent that.
How can you fly over a heavily populated city without flying over people?

One page it says:

Never fly over any person or moving vehicle.

On next page it says:
Never fly over groups of people, public events, or stadiums full of people

Last edited:
All though this is in my Canadian regs I do believe I have read almost the same thing in the US Regs. As the pilot in command you are the one in control so use common sence.

Reckless or Negligent Operation
No person shall operate a remotely piloted aircraft system in such a reckless or negligent manner as to endanger or be likely to endanger aviation safety or the safety of any person.

I'm pretty darn sure you can find such a rule from the FAA.

So technically you cannot fly over anyroads because you never know when a car will show up.
You cannot fly above any residential neighborhood because you cannot see who's behind the fence outside the house.
Cannot fly over a river or lake with boats around. Cannot fly out of line of sight even if you're in Mojave desert
Pretty useless I'd say. Then again who would want a brick over their heads without even knowing.

I know the cops have drones and in a few occasions they monitored people for not getting together in large numbers (Covid 19)
Are they exempt?

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: Drgnfli
All though this is in my Canadian regs I do believe I have read almost the same thing in the US Regs. As the pilot in command you are the one in control so use common sence.

Reckless or Negligent Operation
No person shall operate a remotely piloted aircraft system in such a reckless or negligent manner as to endanger or be likely to endanger aviation safety or the safety of any person.

I'm pretty darn sure you can find such a rule from the FAA.

In the USA, all that has to happen is someone complain to the authorities about your flying and you are the one who must stand up to the BS question & answer period that will follow by law enforcement. Been there, done that!

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rudymuller