Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

RTK Format?

I get a fix from my tried and true RS2 in 10 seconds or less

EVO 2 PRO and 640T V1 RTK

Also......................... why did they come out with a V3, did the V2 not cut it?

Reactions: Dave Pitman
So Shelby,
Recently getting into the drone game with the Evo ii Pro RTK and found this discussion. I am a PLS in MA and RI for 30 years and follow your excellent discussions on the surveyor forum.
I am deep into the learning curve with the drone and use the Carlson software packages for processing and cad. I am using the Smartnet RTN directly into the Evo and only issue I am having is the wait time for fix. Once I get it, everything is great but I am finding the wait times up to 10 minutes which does have an impact on the battery life and drone mission time.

Question: is the use of a base on site speeding up the fix time for you? I assume you have had a few months to get a handle on it. We have Leica and Javad, but they are used by the field crew so don't want to use up those bases. I was thinking of a cheap add on in the Emlid RS2+ but want to get a feel if that actually speeds up the fix.
Thanks,
John
Interesting that I have a follower :) Glad I can contribute!

Sadly I haven't been flying, super busy with work on non UAV projects, on a two week out of town trip right now, hopefully when I get back after next week I can be home until after the new year. I hope to get the UAV out some this winter and do some testing.

Last edited:

Also......................... why did they come out with a V3, did the V2 not cut it?
Parts they say, same reason V1 was replaced. There are a few slight improvements, RID, better low light performance and a new live deck, but for basic mapping I think previous versions are probably just as good.

Reactions: jmason702
but I am finding the wait times up to 10 minutes
That is not normal in my experience. Usually less than a couple minutes with a CORS base within 20k and even less when using an RS2/RS2+ on site.
Parts they say, same reason V1 was replaced. There are a few slight improvements, RID, better low light performance and a new live deck, but for basic mapping I think previous versions are probably just as good.
What Shelby said. The downlink range and video resolution is supposed to be improved, but will make little difference if operating VLOS, or close. Autel has said that they plan to make a module available for RID for the previous Evo2s before Sept.2023

So Shelby,
Recently getting into the drone game with the Evo ii Pro RTK and found this discussion. I am a PLS in MA and RI for 30 years and follow your excellent discussions on the surveyor forum.
I am deep into the learning curve with the drone and use the Carlson software packages for processing and cad. I am using the Smartnet RTN directly into the Evo and only issue I am having is the wait time for fix. Once I get it, everything is great but I am finding the wait times up to 10 minutes which does have an impact on the battery life and drone mission time.

Question: is the use of a base on site speeding up the fix time for you? I assume you have had a few months to get a handle on it. We have Leica and Javad, but they are used by the field crew so don't want to use up those bases. I was thinking of a cheap add on in the Emlid RS2+ but want to get a feel if that actually speeds up the fix.
Thanks,
John
We went to a local NTRIP as our default flight mode. PPK logging is always on. The RS2+ is setup as a rover and base at the same time so there's really nothing to do but connect the RC to it's WiFi. Most of the time we can still achieve a fix with the Emlid gear so we just set an average fixed point and then occupy it via Reachview. Is SmartNET providing VRS? I think Autel Explorer might have some issues with our RTKNET VRS stream.

Reactions: bndrones

That seems to be the consensus. May end up doing just that. Thanks
That is not normal in my experience. Usually less than a couple minutes with a CORS base within 20k and even less when using an RS2/RS2+ on site.

What Shelby said. The downlink range and video resolution is supposed to be improved, but will make little difference if operating VLOS, or close. Autel has said that they plan to make a module available for RID for the previous Evo2s before Sept.2023
Could be just this location. Will know more as we continue to use.
We went to a local NTRIP as our default flight mode. PPK logging is always on. The RS2+ is setup as a rover and base at the same time so there's really nothing to do but connect the RC to it's WiFi. Most of the time we can still achieve a fix with the Emlid gear so we just set an average fixed point and then occupy it via Reachview. Is SmartNET providing VRS? I think Autel Explorer might have some issues with our RTKNET VRS stream.
I'll have to look into that. Smartnet has many mountpoints, our standard was RTCM_Near.

That seems to be the consensus. May end up doing just that. Thanks

Could be just this location. Will know more as we continue to use.

I'll have to look into that. Smartnet has many mountpoints, our standard was RTCM_Near.
All I can say is that it makes things run a lot smoother. You're mount point is right next to you. Jacking with data and GPS signals at least once or twice a week gets costly. Like I said before most of the time the Emlid receivers do have a good enough connection to set a point. If I don't have a known point I can rectify data faster in the office than I can in the field.

All I can say is that it makes things run a lot smoother. You're mount point is right next to you. Jacking with data and GPS signals at least once or twice a week gets costly. Like I said before most of the time the Emlid receivers do have a good enough connection to set a point. If I don't have a known point I can rectify data faster in the office than I can in the field.
Thanks. Does the Emlid come with dual connections in case cell/wifi is not available? UHF and Cell? Is that what their proprietary setup is?

Thanks. Does the Emlid come with dual connections in case cell/wifi is not available? UHF and Cell? Is that what their proprietary setup is?
you could get 2 RS2+, to obtain a solid point... @elphtrooper is this correct if you have no known point and no internet? use 2 units to set a centimeter accurate point

Reactions: elphtrooper
you could get 2 RS2+, to obtain a solid point... @elphtrooper is this correct if you have no known point and no internet? use 2 units to set a centimeter accurate point
Partially yes. They do have radio capability via LoRa WiFi like the other brands but none of the brands talk together so it would have to be two Emlid devices. I would suggest and M2 in an enclosure for the base and an RS2 or RS2+ for the rover.

@jahalnon Don't know if you have dialed in the RTN issues yet but thought I'd share my experience from today. I tinkered with a few different mountpoints on our local RTN this AM. I could not go fixed at all with any RTX based mountpoints and noticed it would boot itself off with any of the CMR based mountpoints. RTCM31 based corrections seem to make the EVO II V3 very happy, going fixed in 5-10 seconds or so after connection. May want to check with your RTN admin to see what mounts on your network are equivalent to that for a trial.

Also I noticed you better type the mountpoint verbatim or it will say connected but not receive a solution at times... Really wish it would operate like every other software we use from Carlson to Trimble and populate the mountpoints to select from instead of relying on typing.

@jahalnon Don't know if you have dialed in the RTN issues yet but thought I'd share my experience from today. I tinkered with a few different mountpoints on our local RTN this AM. I could not go fixed at all with any RTX based mountpoints and noticed it would boot itself off with any of the CMR based mountpoints. RTCM31 based corrections seem to make the EVO II V3 very happy, going fixed in 5-10 seconds or so after connection. May want to check with your RTN admin to see what mounts on your network are equivalent to that for a trial.

Also I noticed you better type the mountpoint verbatim or it will say connected but not receive a solution at times... Really wish it would operate like every other software we use from Carlson to Trimble and populate the mountpoints to select from instead of relying on typing.
thank you for that info, I will try experimenting with different mountpoints. I did notice recently with my Javad LS, which uses the same RTN setup on my EVO, that after a recent software update the Javad grabbed a MSM_IMAX mountpoint. It still is a RTCM 3.0 data stream, but it must be for the multi constellation use of the Javad. No issues with the JAVAD. I actually tried that MSM_IMAX mountpoint on the EVO but no go.
Will have to look for a RTCM31.

Yep, RTX is Trimble proprietary and what most of the CORS networks run on. We had to get a special plan from RTKNET to get CMR. Our mountpoints are also case-sensitive.

Last edited:
Tried a few different mountpoints today and used stopwatch to time to get fix. The RTCM3_NEAR we had been using took the longest to fix. 5-7 mins. The Smartnet website suggested IMAX mountpoints with the RTCM3.2 stream to be the latest and best as it uses all the constellations and is a network solution. I went to the one our Javad LS automatically started using: MSM_IMAX and this time the fix was much quicker. Within several seconds to a couple minutes at most.

I have noticed with the Javad though that production has slowed some when trying to do lots of detail topo shots. Something our Leica GS running Carlson SurveCe does at blazing speeds with a standard RTCM3_NEAR mountpoint. It must be the Javad engines resolving all the birds in a network at once.

I will be testing the EVO with the MSM_IMAX setup this weekend.

I can't even get my EVO to connect to my RS2. Everything I've seen on the workflow shows using the smart controller, but I'm using the standard controller plugged into my android phone. I follow all instructions exactly, but when setting up RTK in Autel Explorer and logging into the custom network I get an "invalid login or account" error, and the RTK status says "connection failed."

Does anyone know if this works with a standard contrller and phone, or does the EVO/RS2 workflow require the smart controller?

I can't even get my EVO to connect to my RS2. Everything I've seen on the workflow shows using the smart controller, but I'm using the standard controller plugged into my android phone. I follow all instructions exactly, but when setting up RTK in Autel Explorer and logging into the custom network I get an "invalid login or account" error, and the RTK status says "connection failed."

Does anyone know if this works with a standard contrller and phone, or does the EVO/RS2 workflow require the smart controller?
I assume you are connecting to the receiver itself? Have you tried to connect it to the hotspot on your phone? I have seen similar reports on the Emlid forum. You should go check that out.

I assume you are connecting to the receiver itself? Have you tried to connect it to the hotspot on your phone? I have seen similar reports on the Emlid forum. You should go check that out.
Dumb enough, no. Yes, I had tried connecting phone to emlid hotspot, and tried both phone and emlid to an ipad hotspot, but never emlid to phone hotspot. And of course that seems to have done the trick. Thanks for pointing that out!

Dumb enough, no. Yes, I had tried connecting phone to emlid hotspot, and tried both phone and emlid to an ipad hotspot, but never emlid to phone hotspot. And of course that seems to have done the trick. Thanks for pointing that out!
Sweet, glad it worked out. Networking is not a mobile device strongsuit and NTRIP services on GNSS hardware (especially drones) is hardly standardized so being at the forefront of this tech can be a little sketchy sometimes. We opted for these routers to run all the devices we carry. They are just small enough to fit in my safety vest pocket so I am a walking hotspot now and cut 3 lines of service to 1 (not including my phone) and have a much better piece of networking hardware.

Reactions: jaja6009

Did you work this issue out yet? I am having the same issue with the V3 Smart Controller except that it connects momentarily and then I get "Invalid login or account" error then back to connected and so on.

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elio-Italy