Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

RIP My Evo

PoorMoney

Reaction score
Well, I had something happen that I was always trying to avoid. A crashed drone.

I was letting my buddy fly my drone because he wanted to get one one day.

Well, I forgot to take it off ludacris mode, but he was flying it slow, and he accidently ran it into a big oak tree. It fell and hit hard.

We walked to it and the back right prop arm was out of the casing. I was able to pop it back in, but you can tell the plastic housing was bent some.

Then...the gimbal was broken completely off the drone.

I guess I will see how much it will cost to repair by Autel. I WAS hoping to sell it or trade it in before this crash for an EVO 2.

My friend sure feels bad, but I told him its ok. Things happen. Next time I will be sure if I let anyone fly it...we are at least 5 miles away from any trees.

20200119_212340.jpg20200119_212400.jpg20200119_212439.jpg

• Sad
Reactions: butch
I could only imagine how you feel. Good of you not to blame the friend shows your true talent!!

Things happen. Could've easily happen with me.

I hope it wont be a total loss or expensive....still payin for this thing *facepalm*. May put me a little later getting the Evo 2. But its whatever. Lesson learn for me and hopefully for my friend too, if he ever gets a drone. Space is your friend, especially if you are new at it.

Reactions: tealsmoke57
One of the first things I learned was that in a lot of cases going straight up fast when you panic is a good thing. It saved me a couple times. OR just let off the controls.

Reactions: PoorMoney
One of the first things I learned was that in a lot of cases going straight up fast when you panic is a good thing. It saved me a couple times. OR just let off the controls.

Yup. Ive learned that as well. Would definitely be nice to see if I can find some insurance for this thing. I know there was a thread on here about it awhile back.

I know its a hobby to some and jobs for others, but a $500+ thing can be a real loss for some. I am going to look into it more.

More than likely, I may have to be my own insurance. Stick money back for these moments.

I was really looking forward to getting that EVO 2. LOL.

I may fabricate a full cage for the next drone lol.

I think the insurance differs from state to state and that being said, some states don't do it.
lol about the cage!

State Farm is about $60 bucks a year. Pretty cheap and lets you sleep at night knowing they have you covered.
“From high to low, watch the graveyard down below.”

Im just afraid the repair cost will be too much. I saw someone on here who had damage the same as mine (gimbal torn apart and prop arm out of the drone) and Autel quoted around $500. $350 for gimbal camera $100 for new body case and whatever for labor.

With the price of people selling their used ones on here in the classifieds and elsewhere..many are selling theirs for $600-900 with case, batteries, etc.

In my case....I may as well pay this thing off and take a huge loss and wait for the EVO 2 and get insurance.

So is life..but I will probably call Autel today and send it off to see how much it will be.

Not that it will make you feel any better but as Hilo has said some of us have had it happen. In my case first one ended up down in a deep river gorge never to be seen again. Second one fell to the ground and smashed into a hundred pieces. The cost of both of those would total about 3600. Both were hardware failures but out of warranty. You just need to decide do I love this hobby enough to justify the cost? I my case yes and I have now four more UAVs in my hanger and am seriously looking at the EVO2. Bank has lots of money and you only live once. :)

Well, I had something happen that I was always trying to avoid. A crashed drone.

I was letting my buddy fly my drone because he wanted to get one one day.

Well, I forgot to take it off ludacris mode, but he was flying it slow, and he accidently ran it into a big oak tree. It fell and hit hard.

We walked to it and the back right prop arm was out of the casing. I was able to pop it back in, but you can tell the plastic housing was bent some.

Then...the gimbal was broken completely off the drone.

I guess I will see how much it will cost to repair by Autel. I WAS hoping to sell it or trade it in before this crash for an EVO 2.

My friend sure feels bad, but I told him its ok. Things happen. Next time I will be sure if I let anyone fly it...we are at least 5 miles away from any trees.

View attachment 6127View attachment 6128View attachment 6129
Looks exactly like mine after a crash. I sent it in to Autel and they told me $450 to repair it so I just sold the broken body. Maybe the price of repairs has come down by now.

Looks exactly like mine after a crash. I sent it in to Autel and they told me $450 to repair it so I just sold the broken body. Maybe the price of repairs has come down by now.
Yeah, your post was the one I was talking about showing the cost would be that much.

Were you able to sell the drone?

I will now play a song in the remembrance of my Evo

Last edited:
Yeah, your post was the one I was talking about showing the cost would be that much.

Were you able to sell the drone?

I will now play a song in the remembrance of my Evo

I got around 150 for the drone body.

Man that's too bad:( You probably have some other pieces/parts you have accumulated for it that you could also sell if you are set on the Evo 2. The controller is certainly worth some $.
If your Evo will still connect check the # of cycles on each battery since they would be worth more the lower the number. Thinking you could make some decent $ if you sold everything separately on ebay.
Anyways again sorry for your loss...

State Farm is about $60 bucks a year. Pretty cheap and lets you sleep at night knowing they have you covered.
“From high to low, watch the graveyard down below.”
I have State Farm insurance for like $52/yr (can vary slightly depending on your agent) covers both my EVO and DJI Spark which I'm trying to sell (both for total of $52/yr), my tablet and remotes and accessories with no deductible if lost or stolen. I think it's only available in the U.S., but anyone wo can get it should definitely do so (cheap peace of mind). Never had to use it, but makes me a lot less nervous when flying.

I have state farm for home/cars and need to look into this. Is it for all states (Allstate haha)?

I have state farm for home/cars and need to look into this. Is it for all states (Allstate haha)?
I would think so, but not sure all State Farm agents are willing to offer a policy for this. I believe it's under a "Personal Articles" policy. It is good if you fly out of state, but dont think if it's out of country. Also only covers drone - it's not liability insurance for damage to other items or personal injury.

I have State Farm insurance for like $52/yr (can vary slightly depending on your agent) covers both my EVO and DJI Spark which I'm trying to sell (both for total of $52/yr), my tablet and remotes and accessories with no deductible if lost or stolen. I think it's only available in the U.S., but anyone wo can get it should definitely do so (cheap peace of mind). Never had to use it, but makes me a lot less nervous when flying.

Wow! That's cheap! I'm looking into that soon. Did you have your drone a while before insuring it? Another words, will they insure a used drone?

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elio-Italy