Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Remote ID placement on drone

Curious about this also. Where is the GPS receiver located in the body?

I’m using a Dronetag Beacon and I’ve mounted it right on the top of my EVO II Pro. Note: The black next to the Beacon is my FAA number that I blacked out.

I just started using it last week, about 5 batteries of flight time. It doesn’t seem to interfere with the drone’s GPS or any of its operation so far.

The Dronetag Beacon is lightweight, easy to install and remove for charging using the supplied 3m dual lock. It seems well built. I have the Gen. 1.

I did download the Dronetag App. For now I don’t plan on using it much other than for firmware updates but my initial thoughts are that it’s clunky and not user friendly. During testing my Beacon would initially appear on the map and then the entire map would disappear. I contacted Dronetag and they replied giving me some direction. It may just be my lack of knowledge on how to use the App. Time will tell.

There’s 3 LED’s that change colors based on the status of the Beacon. It takes some time to learn what each set of colors means. I find this to be clunky as well. After turning the Beacon on you the LED’s are a particular set of colors, you then need to wait for it to acquire a GNSS signal and the colors change, and then you need to tap the power button to start a flight and they change colors again, once you’re done with your flight you tap the power button again and the colors change back.

For me a simple on with one set of colors and “ready to fly” with another set of colors would have been sufficient. Maybe there’s a reason for multiple phases of LED colors but I prefer simplicity.

There’s also different colors for battery life and errors.

I use 2 EVO II Pro’s. One is supplied by the company I work for and the other is my personal drone. I’m using the Dronetag Beacon on my company drone. I’m still trying to decide which remote I.d. to use for my personal drone.

The Beacon sells for $219. I find that to be quite a bit of money considering it does one thing and one thing only which is to transmit your drones location.

If anybody else is using another brand of remote I.d. please share what you’re using and your thoughts.

Attachments

• IMG_5088.jpeg
    IMG_5088.jpeg
    650.5 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Reactions: cneufeld3
If this DroneTag Beacon is Bluetooth device, I cant see the point of it. Its range would be terrible. But it would be assisting a lost drone recovery for much longer than the Drone's battery.
Am I missing something?

I am using a DroneScout DroneBeacon DB120 which I purchased from E38 Survey Solutions. I install it between the RTK module and the front air intake. I have not noticed any flight performance differences in the Evo II with this module installed.

Attachments

• IMG_8611.jpeg
    IMG_8611.jpeg
    701.4 KB · Views: 8
Reactions: SixStarsDrone
I am using a DroneScout DroneBeacon DB120 which I purchased from E38 Survey Solutions. I install it between the RTK module and the front air intake. I have not noticed any flight performance differences in the Evo II with this module installed.

The DroneScout looks pretty big in comparison to the Dronetag Beacon. Maybe it’s got a larger battery?

If this DroneTag Beacon is Bluetooth device, I cant see the point of it. Its range would be terrible. But it would be assisting a lost drone recovery for much longer than the Drone's battery.
Am I missing something?
It does have Bluetooth which I believe is primarily for pairing to your phone so you can update firmware via the app.

Reactions: cneufeld3 and ADOC

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
supa_jb