Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

RC Controller - Ergonomically Speaking

Trox

Reaction score
As a one month+ new owner of the EVO its always "interesting" to to see where my learning curve will take me. I think I have normal size man hands so the first experience out of the box was geez this controller is tiny compared to my previous non-gps, non-fpv drones. Takes some time getting use to the size especially with so many buttons and scroll wheels packed into tight quarters.

On some of my first flights I began encountering some annoying screen changes where a menu to my Album files of videos and stills would pop up across the screen which interrupted my active flight in progress view. By the end of that session I had to review the manual to find that my curled up middle finger under the controller was activating button A which triggered the Album request right in the middle of my flight. That doesn't happen too often now as I'm more aware of my grip.

Another new annoyance was discovered yesterday. While I am learning the ropes of the drone's flying capabilities or limitations and educating myself on all the nooks and crannies of the software options and features I am not interested in recording video or stills other than as short tests during the prevailing practice runs. So most of the time I am not recording video nor taking still photos. So I fire up the bird, give it a minute of hover to 'warm' it up and insure I have max satellites before engaging in my mission which was to test the Camera/Waypoints Flight Plan execution, response and accuracy. I had created a few practice run flight plans/paths offline earlier in the day and encountered some glitches (inconsistent software actions) in that process which I will discuss in another post.

At that time I noticed the icon representing the on screen shutter button in white was showing a repeated spinning wagon wheel ring animation. Hmm, guess I better check the manual when I return to the house. Long story short, I pop in the SD card in the computer, open the current images/video folder and there were a few hundred jpg image files there. Over a gig.

As it turns out my right index finger position was wrapping around the front of the controller and had the snapshot button continually pressed, taking rapid fire photos. I will add, hearing loss is a common malady in my generation who grew up on loud rock concerts and the absence of hearing protection in loud work environments. So I failed to hear the muffled click click click on each spin around the icon.

I'm finding the operation of the RC controller is becoming more of a challenge than flying the drone or learning the software. It would seem that the consolidation of all the mechanical features of the controller packed into the minimum possible space may be good for reducing manufacturing costs but I fail to see the advantage for the pilots. Or is it just me?

What else can I look forward to overcoming that others have experienced? Or preventative measures. I do have the A/B button rings added to the underside of the controller to eliminate that issue.

maybe Autel could ship us some different handles we could install ourselves, they need to fit bigger hands somehow and not be so noodly?

There are rulers and arts & craft green rope attached to your controller. Did you tell your model wife to make it pretty for you? ?

There are rulers and arts & craft green rope attached to your controller. Did you tell your model wife to make it pretty for you? ?
No, my super model wife is cutting up okra now to fix for supper. LOL

Sometimes one gets bored waiting on workers to show up. New gutters are SUPPOSED to be installed today but I am still waiting for the crew.
buthc

• Haha
Reactions: Ansia
I just bought a video course on mastering drone maneuvers. It's taught by the same guy that teaches the Part 107 course I bought on Udemy.

He uses his thumb/index fingers to pinch the control sticks, instead of using his thumbs.
I tried it and it feels like I'm going to drop the controller.

Do any of you guys fly like that?

I do and I think most people do. The lanyard helps with that.

Reactions: Ansia
I just bought a video course on mastering drone maneuvers. It's taught by the same guy that teaches the Part 107 course I bought on Udemy.

He uses his thumb/index fingers to pinch the control sticks, instead of using his thumbs.
I tried it and it feels like I'm going to drop the controller.

Do any of you guys fly like that?
Like @Tufargon said. A landyard will put your controller's weight on your neck. Allowing for more fine tuning with your thumb and index finger.

I wonder why Autel didn't put a lanyard ring on the controller.

I'm guessing because it was made to be compact and not use a tablet.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elio-Italy