Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Range Limitation

Try turning the distance limiit on then turning it off, or changing the limit, then turning it off. I think I had the front running lights off in Starlink, but they were on on the vehicle.

I just can't get great range period. I have a lot of wooded area. Best I got was 2500ft and typical for me is 1500ft. Kinda annoying. I don't have any limits set on the app. I don't know what the trick is to even get the advertised range?

Trees between(that was actually when I got my best range of 2500ft on its second flight). I was flying around the town commons as well where it is not so wooded and my range was only a few thousand feet. I don't know what to do to make it better. I keep it in GPS mode. I don't know if the other modes would be better or not. This is my first drone and I just started flying a week ago (drone was doa so it took 2.5wks to get it fixed)

The advertised ranges are definitely for flying line of sight with no potential interference in the area. Try flying in a location that has no trees, power lines, buildings, etc. and see how it flies there. That location might not be your typical flying location, but it'll allow for the best possible range.

As for improving the range when flying in areas with interference, you're going to have to mod the antennas. Unfortunately, there aren't any mods out now -- other than some home-brewed ones.

My experience with this is more altitude from home point before venturing out. You did not mention your height.
I get just above trees or structures, then I start going for distance. The farther I go out, the more I increase my altitude for better range. So far the best distance for me is 5,200 ft with a altitude of 380 ft.
However, I only have 9 flights in with the X Star.
Looking to mod my Phantom Wnd surfers to fit the Autel RC.
I will let you guys know how it turns out.

Ok so I went back to the manual and found out my antenna position was wrong. After setting them correctly , getting the best line of sight out from my wooded property , adjusting altitude as I went along with playing with forward speed I was able to get 0.99 miles. Just couldn't get the other .01 for an even mile. Huge improvement! I am going to go find a clearer spot and see what I get. Thanks for the tips fellas! I am pretty new to this.

Reactions: KentA and Uavdude
I just can't get great range period. I have a lot of wooded area. Best I got was 2500ft and typical for me is 1500ft. Kinda annoying. I don't have any limits set on the app. I don't know what the trick is to even get the advertised range?

I seem to get about .21 of a mile. And, I do not have beginner mode turned on nor do I have a maximum range selected. Once it gets past that, it says I lost remote connection and it does a return-to-home. I am in line-of-site, with no trees. Not sure what issue is - but sure no one mile radius!

The advertised ranges are definitely for flying line of sight with no potential interference in the area. Try flying in a location that has no trees, power lines, buildings, etc. and see how it flies there. That location might not be your typical flying location, but it'll allow for the best possible range.

As for improving the range when flying in areas with interference, you're going to have to mod the antennas. Unfortunately, there aren't any mods out now -- other than some home-brewed ones.
Itelite dbs Maxx range, that ought to do it

Like straight out in the Gulf towards Cuba ???

I flew a best-so-far distance of 0.46 miles yesterday, flying in the middle of nowhere. There were no error messages. Simply returned because I was no longer able to keep eye contact with my XSP.

Attachments

• IMG_0755.PNG
    IMG_0755.PNG
    6.8 MB · Views: 14
Will the XSP fly without the camera attached.........
If so, maybe a coupla little tactical strobes tiewrapped to the landing struts. One facing forwards and the other facing rear.
At night......
I wonder how far you could see it

What kinda terrain.

I've gotten 3.1 miles, but that was over a lake with the gold reflector thingies on the antennas. Typical for me in a wooded area is 3000-4000 feet at 400 feet altitude.

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials