Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Question on Charging the Remote Controller for an Autel Evo

MACunningham

Reaction score
Since the Remote Controller for the Autel Evo has a charging cable with a standard USB plug, is it safe to charge the controller from a standard USB Block that plugs into a wall outlet, such as is used to charge an iPhone; and may it also be safely charged using the USB port on a power bank. I am interested in using these two alternative sources for charging my Remote Controller, rather than the standard charger supplied with the aircraft. Thanks for your help on this.

The charger is designed to give the correct amount of power to the controller. I can't say it won't work, but I advice against it.

A standard USB charger or power bank will work...
Just verify that it does not exceed the max output of the OEM one. The output on the 5V circuit (USB) should be printed be on the charger.
A quality charger should provide the needed output automatically but some cheaper ones will not. Probably not wise to use a crazy high amp "fast charger" but most of those are for USB C.

The radio is charged at 5v / 3A, so the new USB 3.0 outputs will work without problems. This is what I have as a desktop charger and the charge is quick.

A standard USB charger or power bank will work...
Just verify that it does not exceed the max output of the OEM one. The output on the 5V circuit (USB) should be printed be on the charger.
A quality charger should provide the needed output automatically but some cheaper ones will not. Probably not wise to use a crazy high amp "fast charger" but most of those are for USB C.

Just got unit back from repair in Bothel. Cannot get a charge to remote. Have used provided cable. Have used usb 2.0 on both ends.
Frustration is setting in.

Here for a recap and general reference.

The standard iPhone charger listed by Apple as 5 Watts has an USB power output of 1 Amp. This would not be enough for Autel's Smart Controller. It does charge the original controller but then takes a very long time.

The standard charger for iPads are claimed to be either 10 or 12 Watts. Those provide an output of just over 2 Amps and that's not the required 3 Amps for the Smart Controller. However it might just work within margins at the risk of overheating the charger. So be careful here. Apple's charger should switch off on high temperatures, but that's not the proper way of application.

Now when traveling light, a more typical case with an Autel Evo 2 drone out in the field (meaning you did not pack your controller's charger brick) is to use the charger that was included with the aircraft. This unit has an output of 5 Volts at 3 Amps. So the USB port on that brick should also be able to charge the smart controller only using a regular USB to USB-C cable.

I am not sure how combined charging affects the total time when the smart controller and aircraft batteries are simultaneously charged.

Furthermore I am still experimenting with the best power bank for topping up the smart controller out in the field. I will post my findings when I find valuable details.

Last edited:
I can confirm that anyone using the Hanatora charger for the Evo II can safely use the USB outlet to charge your controller. Using that port does not particularly effect the battery charge time. In my experience, what does effect the charge time is how far out of balance your individual cells are... directly altering the amount of time spent balance charging.

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elio-Italy