Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Powerful Volcanic Gas Fountains...

HiloHawaiian

Reaction score
Amazing helicopter footage. Folks say the sound is deafening — the steam is supersonic when it blows-out.

https://volcanoes.usgs.gov/observatories/hvo/multimedia_uploads/multimediaFile-2013.mp4

“Hey Dad, I guess I won’t have to mow the lawn today...” Bad joke...I know the folks, he emailed the photo, and what his son told him when he saw it. They have the right attitude, everyone in zone one knows this could happen at any time. The house they were renting is toast. They’re going to stay in my Ohana studio off the garage in Hilo until they find a new place...
89BAF0CE-18EF-4D1A-BDF7-D73D8573E7F6.jpeg

Wow! Amazing photo. It's literally being transformed from Paradise into Hell.

Man that's crazy. And I gripe because the wind blows.

Drone footage would have been better. No jostle and jello in the filming, and it could safely get MUCH closer. They could also be filming pretty much non-stop. They could be supervised and suspend operations when they want to put a chopper up.

It's a lost opportunity - not only cinematically, but in terms of identifying the status of volcanic activity, road conditions, etc.

Reactions: HiloHawaiian
Did you notice the big boulders flying out?

Yea, hard to guess how big, but geeeeeez, scary stuff...And, that nice house in the foreground with a front-row view! I dunno if they can get to the house anymore — it looks like it could be spared, it’s on a slight rise. Topography is everything out here. GENERALLY, this very liquidy lava flows the other direction, downhill toward the sea. If another fissure opens behind him........... :(

Drone footage would have been better. No jostle and jello in the filming, and it could safely get MUCH closer. They could also be filming pretty much non-stop. They could be supervised and suspend operations when they want to put a chopper up.

It's a lost opportunity - not only cinematically, but in terms of identifying the status of volcanic activity, road conditions, etc.
Exactly right. If a drone goes down from a boulder hitting it, oh well — 1 in a million chance. Helo's can (have) crashed from sucking too much volcanic gases, that’s why they stay so far away. A drone would only have to worry about the heat, which at 150’ wouldn’t be too bad......I think, LOL.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials