Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Point-counterpoint article by AirMap's advisory board member Reggie Govan

Jagerbomb52

Reaction score
An advisory board member of a company that would benefit from local regulation argues in favor of said regulation.
Any state or local regulation of airspace, even close to the ground airspace, will ultimately come down to the FAA having to defend its turf. Meaning all locally and state enacted regs are still superseded by the FAAs authority. So stuff can be passed.But whether any of it will stand will depend on the outcome of the inevitable case that goes before the US Supreme Court to decide the extent of the FAAs jurisdiction. No state or local laws have been challenged in such a way yet. So the opinions of these peeps are useful, but it will ultimately be decided in the courts.

State, local and tribal authority is vital to realizing the full potential of the drone economy
By Reggie Govan

Point-counterpoint article by AirMap's advisory board member Reggie Govan and CTA's Doug Johnson, regarding local regulatory authority over drones:

An advisory board member of a company that would benefit from local regulation argues in favor of said regulation.
Any state or local regulation of airspace, even close to the ground airspace, will ultimately come down to the FAA having to defend its turf. Meaning all locally and state enacted regs are still superseded by the FAAs authority. So stuff can be passed.But whether any of it will stand will depend on the outcome of the inevitable case that goes before the US Supreme Court to decide the extent of the FAAs jurisdiction. No state or local laws have been challenged in such a way yet. So the opinions of these peeps are useful, but it will ultimately be decided in the courts.

State, local and tribal authority is vital to realizing the full potential of the drone economy
By Reggie Govan

Point-counterpoint article by AirMap's advisory board member Reggie Govan and CTA's Doug Johnson, regarding local regulatory authority over drones:

Very interesting read........this issue is getting more complex everyday...

I think I said this about prior regulation new updates -- It all boils down to the $$$ and who is going to get it in the end.

The privacy issue is just that -- none. Legislation had a chance to nip this in the bud in early 2000's when camera's arrived on phones -- and did not. Not saying they can't address it again, but seems pretty moot -- and would end up like original legislation.

government at all levels and private sector stakeholders must work together on rules that uphold safety and enable the economic potential of drones.

This comment in the article draws a clearer picture to this matter:

Welcome to the United Corporations of America.

These folks will stop at nothing to make every money grab possible. All while the average person is left out.

... we are not too far from being charged for the air we breathe -- if this continues in this direction... :(

But there is also another fight that people are not realizing. This is one of many moves from human labor to automation. Amazon or whomever shipping packages by drone will not only hurt USPS, UPS or FedEx -- but the people that are laid off because of the progression of automation.

I'm still trying to figure out how my Amazon drone is going to keep delivering my packages -- if my job ever suffers the same fate.

and that is NO lol

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rudymuller