Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Pilot training course costs

Catweazle

Reaction score
I,m interested in what US and Canada pilots might be getting slugged in costs for flying training courses. Got a training agency in Aus that charges almost a thousand AU bucks for how to fly a bird under 2 kg. Unbelievable!

I,m interested in what US and Canada pilots might be getting slugged in costs for flying training courses. Got a training agency in Aus that charges almost a thousand AU bucks for how to fly a bird under 2 kg. Unbelievable!
Waste of money and time... Just go to YouTube and learn how to do it... It's totally free!

I have never attended one, but over in Puerto Rico, they charge $250 USD for 6 to 8 weeks of flying school.

There is nothing in Alaska as a formal training school for the actual flying. That is actually strange considering we have the highest number of private pilots per capita of all the 50 states. Only the ground school prep for studying for the Part 107 test is offered.

Every drone usually comes with a hard copy or pdf manual. So for most we just read it 3 or 4 times, watch company tutorial videos and go have fun. Cost = just your time. At some point in the foreseeable future the USA will adopt an online test for recreational flyers to take and pass but I'm sure even 8th grade dropouts won't have a problem passing it. And if its online that means its an "open book" test so you can Google anything you don't have an answer for. Or have a friend take it in your name. Or a group of you help each other. Ha. Its going to be a joke.

It isn’t ‘how to fly’ they’re charging for—it’s for your CASA licence, surely? FYI, got mine through NSW TAFE for around $250.

There is nothing in Alaska as a formal training school for the actual flying. That is actually strange considering we have the highest number of private pilots per capita of all the 50 states. Only the ground school prep for studying for the Part 107 test is offered.

Every drone usually comes with a hard copy or pdf manual. So for most we just read it 3 or 4 times, watch company tutorial videos and go have fun. Cost = just your time. At some point in the foreseeable future the USA will adopt an online test for recreational flyers to take and pass but I'm sure even 8th grade dropouts won't have a problem passing it. And if its online that means its an "open book" test so you can Google anything you don't have an answer for. Or have a friend take it in your name. Or a group of you help each other. Ha. Its going to be a joke.
The purpose of the RePL isn't for them to study like the Part 107. It is designed so they have to look up and read the basic knowledge for safe flying. When it goes live and you are stopped, they will ask for proof of you passing the test. If you have it and did something wrong, a simple I didn't know will not protect you. You had to google and read to answer the questions in the test.

Reactions: Nightbat2
The purpose of the RePL isn't for them to study like the Part 107. It is designed so they have to look up and read the basic knowledge for safe flying. When it goes live and you are stopped, they will ask for proof of you passing the test. If you have it and did something wrong, a simple I didn't know will not protect you. You had to google and read to answer the questions in the test.
In Australia, getting a Remote Pilot‘s Licence (RePL) involves some serious work. At the Technical & Further Education (TAFE) college where I sat mine, it’s a 10 day (classroom) course with daily hands-on flying under instruction. Class work involves achieving 100 percent in each of 14 assignments, and scoring at least 85 percent in a CASA prepared and supervised exam (in the exam no phones, tablets or online help allowed). You must also pass a rigorous flying test—two failures at any single set manoeuvre means you have to do the ENTIRE flight test from scratch (and if you fail at the second one, you’re toast!). The course also includes study and testing for a radio operator’s certificate, which allows you legally to contact airfields and pilots by radio. Not everyone passes, as TAFE is determined to ensure meaningful standards are kept up. Some private institutions concertina the course into five days, but I’m not sure that includes the radio certificate. But as they must be CASA approved, I assume similar standards apply.

In Australia, getting a Remote Pilot‘s Licence (RePL) involves some serious work. At the Technical & Further Education (TAFE) college where I sat mine, it’s a 10 day (classroom) course with daily hands-on flying under instruction. Class work involves achieving 100 percent in each of 14 assignments, and scoring at least 85 percent in a CASA prepared and supervised exam (in the exam no phones, tablets or online help allowed). You must also pass a rigorous flying test—two failures at any single set manoeuvre means you have to do the ENTIRE flight test from scratch (and if you fail at the second one, you’re toast!). The course also includes study and testing for a radio operator’s certificate, which allows you legally to contact airfields and pilots by radio. Not everyone passes, as TAFE is determined to ensure meaningful standards are kept up. Some private institutions concertina the course into five days, but I’m not sure that includes the radio certificate. But as they must be CASA approved, I assume similar standards apply.
I actually contacted CASA via email, asking them if I could take their test, as it's classified as one of the hardest in the world. They said it's only for residents and citizens...?

I actually contacted CASA via email, asking them if I could take their test, as it's classified as one of the hardest in the world. They said it's only for residents and citizens...?
Think that probably applies to any Australian Aviation Licence. Got my PPL in the UK, as a commonwealth citizen.

It appears to be a CASA preferred training agency. They have a branch in most capital cities and a couple of regional towns. Cost are tiered from recreational to professional and seem to be extraordinary high to achieve a licence.

It appears to be a CASA preferred training agency. They have a branch in most capital cities and a couple of regional towns. Cost are tiered from recreational to professional and seem to be extraordinary high to achieve a licence.
Check with your state TAFE organisation. Can’t speak for other states, but in NSW, RePL courses are held regularly.

I'd recommend Mappix. I've had really good success with it. It has previous exam questions and great instructional video. They just made their program free during this coronavirus period. Here's their youtube link:

Good luck!

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kwoody