Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Photo & Video Editing Software?

SixStarsDrone

Reaction score
I’m looking for recommendations on both photograph and video editing software. I’m interested in something that I can purchase outright as opposed to a subscription. I’m also looking for something that is suitable for beginners.

Do you recommend the Free version or the Paid version? Is this for video only?
You should start with the free version and see how you like it (which you will) and then consider if you want to pay for the studio version. the best reason for me to get the studio version was this incredible deal; the speed editor is great: https://www.adorama.com/bmdvrstuddb.html

I’m looking for recommendations on both photograph and video editing software. I’m interested in something that I can purchase outright as opposed to a subscription. I’m also looking for something that is suitable for beginners.

I 100% agree with @kenautelevo2pro for Davinci Resolve, but it definitely is not beginner friendly. If you never plan on shooting professionally and want a product that is very simple, Corel VideoStudio is a good option. I still use it to this day to create slideshows, but it is also a very good user friendly consumer grade video editor.

However, if you want a professional Hollywood grade video editor that you will never outgrow, that is very reasonably priced, and that can be used to edit everything from a simple wedding to feature length movies and only want to learn how to use one video editor then Davinci Resolve is hands down the best option.

Unfortunately I do not have a good recommendation for photo editing. I still use Lightroom and Photoshop and hate the subscription model but for me nothing else matches those two for speed, RAW processing, and editing capabilities. Every now and then I get fed up with the endless monthly fees and try the latest and greatest from names like Affinity Photo, Capture One, DxO Lab, Darktable, etc.....and I always end up renewing my LR PS subscription.

What about Pinnacle Studio? Have either of you used that?
I have never heard of it but I checked out their website. It looks like a typical consumer grade video editor. There are a ton of them out there.

I would check a review site like this one, and try a bunch of trials with different editors before buying one. It takes many hours to become proficient with any video editor so it's worth the up front time and effort to find one that best meets your needs vs starting over after spending years learning a particular editor.

The main things to look for are how well it handles media importing and rendering, how good are the color grading tools, how easy it is to use for what you need, does it handle 10 bit footage, does it handle H.265 footage, how stable is it, does it support GPU acceleration, etc.

The great thing about DaVinci Resolve is that the free version is still Hollywood grade editing software and if you stick to 8 bit footage you may never need to buy the Pro version. The main downside is the learning curve.

two words: davinci resolve
For video concur, DR, it can be a bit intimidating at first, however trick is to focus on basics with it first, skip Fusion, Fairlight until ready, likewise keep it simple with color tab (hint: the A icon lower left will help speed the learning curve vs. getting bogged down in nodes, at least initially), get comfortable with import media, using the edit tab, then the render out tab, then start using everything else. If you want simple, quick, video, then Filmora. For photo, turns out you can also use Davinci Resolve, otherwise Photoshop Elements, Luminar, Aurora, ICE & PTGUI for compositing are great and easy to work with to have in your toolbox.

i have heard of it but never used it. years ago, i watched this before i settled on dr:
What about Pinnacle Studio? Have either of you used that?
Wow, Pinnacle, have not heard or seen that in a decade or two, used to be popular way way back, then fell by the wayside as a high end, also lower end solution. In other words, skip Pinnacle, photo and video editing sw has moved on....

Do you recommend the Free version or the Paid version? Is this for video only?
You should start with the free version and see how you like it (which you will) and then consider if you want to pay for the studio version. the best reason for me to get the studio version was this incredible deal; the speed editor is great: https://www.adorama.com/bmdvrstuddb.html
Yes, the speed editor is awsome, great investment once you are ready to buy the full sw version.

I use ACDSee for my photos. Broad based set of tools that I and pretty simple to come up to speed editing.

View attachment 13935

Very nice image. I used to use ACDSee many years ago, I checked them out a few days ago to see if they could replace LR and PS. So many applications are so close but not quite there yet. My problem is I work on such a wide range of photography projects (everything from real estate to beauty) that it is hard to trust any other program will get the job done as quickly and intuitively as LR and PS together.

Before I switched to DaVinci Resolve, I used Cyberlink PowerDirector for years. It's a good basic video editor that is relatively easy to learn and use. And it's fast.
After using DaVinci Resolve for a few months, I bought the Studio version to handle 10-bit video. The big side benefit was a major increase in speed for producing (Deliver tab) the video. It makes good use of the nVidia Cuda GPU. Gschulzuio's comment about skipping Nodes, Fusion and Fairlight at first is good advice. You can accomplish a lot without these features. Eventually, you will want to learn how to use them.

I have used Pinnacle a long, long time ago, but like all those editing suites, there is a long learning curve. I have Adobe Premiere, but I recently got the free version of Davinci Resolve and after finding out about the Speed Editor, and then watching several Youtube videos, this is going to be the easiest and most affordable editing kit for anyone. You can find the Speed Editor on ebay at very low cost. I bought mine new in the box for $160 when they go new at the makers website for $395. Well worth buying, trust me.

As for photo editing, I use Photoshop and other suites. Some to check out are On1 RAW as well as Topaz Labs both of which you can try out for free for 30 days. There are lots of videos on how to use these two and they have great, one click effects, along with sliders to adjust that effect, if you wish to. Or you can do just about anything with them if you just wish to do it all manual step by step. And these are buy it once and use it forever, rather than the Adobe Photoshop monthly ransom charge.

Before I switched to DaVinci Resolve, I used Cyberlink PowerDirector for years. It's a good basic video editor that is relatively easy to learn and use. And it's fast.
After using DaVinci Resolve for a few months, I bought the Studio version to handle 10-bit video. The big side benefit was a major increase in speed for producing (Deliver tab) the video. It makes good use of the nVidia Cuda GPU. Gschulzuio's comment about skipping Nodes, Fusion and Fairlight at first is good advice. You can accomplish a lot without these features. Eventually, you will want to learn how to use them.
Love Cyberlink Power Director. Easy to learn, fast, and stable. Lots of YouTube videos.

Love Cyberlink Power Director. Easy to learn, fast, and stable. Lots of YouTube videos.

Very nice image. I used to use ACDSee many years ago, I checked them out a few days ago to see if they could replace LR and PS. So many applications are so close but not quite there yet. My problem is I work on such a wide range of photography projects (everything from real estate to beauty) that it is hard to trust any other program will get the job done as quickly and intuitively as LR and PS together.
I'm assuming you have looked at On1 RAW and also at Topaz Labs?

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aerugo