Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Offsetting the camera angle from the flightpath.

Reaction score
Is it possible in Mission mode to fly say 360 degrees while the camera is pointing 030 degrees? In other words offset the camera angle from the drone angle in the horizontal plane. If it's possible in the vertical plane it should be possible in the horizontal plane. Thanks all.

Is it possible in Mission mode to fly say 360 degrees while the camera is pointing 030 degrees? In other words offset the camera angle from the drone angle in the horizontal plane. If it's possible in the vertical plane it should be possible in the horizontal plane. Thanks all.

The EVO camera only tilts it does not pan....so no its not possible. If you want a 30 degree camera angle then the drone has to fly at 30 degrees as well. Typically drones that also support panning independently of the drone have a separate FPV camera such as the DJI Inspire series.

The EVO camera only tilts it does not pan....so no its not possible. If you want a 30 degree camera angle then the drone has to fly at 30 degrees as well. Typically drones that also support panning independently of the drone have a separate FPV camera such as the DJI Inspire series.
Thanks for that. It was only a thought. Cheers and thanks for the rapid response.

Reactions: herein2021
If you are asking if you can fly a mission with the drone flying along a path in one direction and the entire drone is turned such that the camera is still facing to the front of the drone but the camera is pointed away from the path in which the drone is flying but keeping a fixed angle...then, yes it is possible and I have done it. Don't remember how. But it's not by using a POI because as you know, if you fix on the POI then the angle will change as the drone moves along the flight path.

For example, somewhat like this "manual" flight?

Not my video:

ETA: after thinking more about it, I cannot be sure but maybe I did set a POI for the camera to focus on but it was so so far away that the angular rotation was negligible. I'll have to go back and check.

If you are asking if you can fly a mission with the drone flying along a path in one direction and the entire drone is turned such that the camera is still facing to the front of the drone but the camera is pointed away from the path in which the drone is flying but keeping a fixed angle...then, yes it is possible and I have done it. Don't remember how. But it's not by using a POI because as you know, if you fix on the POI then the angle will change as the drone moves along the flight path.

For example, somewhat like this "manual" flight?

Not my video:

ETA: after thinking more about it, I cannot be sure but maybe I did set a POI for the camera to focus on but it was so so far away that the angular rotation was negligible. I'll have to go back and check.
Ah, that's a good idea. Thanks very much. I'll give it a go. Cheers.

Teledyne SIras will tilt and pan. But its mission modes are mapping and have to be manually set up. Takes time but works. Downside is no pre set flight paths. Each point has to be set up prior to flight.

My camera angle went off by about 40 degrees to the left from what I could guess. It was some sort of error and don't really know how it happened. What follows is my short story...

I started the session trying to follow some boats from above manually then using Parallel track and even Tripod tracking. The drone wouldn't keep following the boats so after a while I gave up and went back to manual. The flying was awkward but I thought it was my lack of skills in trying this new type of flying.

Next during the session I tried to video a yacht from front to back from the side of the yacht. I start at the nose pointing what I seemed perpendicular to it's length. I naturally assume that the drone body is point at the nose also so if I push the stick to the right the drone will fly down the length of the yacht. I start recording and push the control stick to the right and the drone started flying down it's length AND away from the yacht. This happened every time during this session. I couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong.

So I was running out of battery juice and flew it back home. When it was landing I noticed the camera was turned about 30-40 degrees to the left of center from the drone's front. I landed but did not turn the drone off to check the camera. I could not turn the camera back to pointing centerline. I picked up the drone by hand and as I turned the body, the camera kept pointing left!

Somehow during the session the camera got locked into this left position which is why I couldn't video down the length of the yacht. Apparently, the camera was pointing at the nose of the yacht but the drone body was turned right. So when flying what I thought was to the right was really to the right and away. Hope this makes sense.

So it seems that the camera can go off center but it has to be an error of some sort. I have to go out and try and recreate this error again someday. If anyone can recreate this by first doing parallel and tripod tracks from above pointing down 90 degrees and then going into manual mode, let us know.

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aerugo