Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Night modes in rural setting?

MattA

Reaction score
Hi All,

We've had two incursions on the farm in a month -- "scouts" most likely looking to steal or perhaps violence. We're trying to lock down the farm and thought a drone might be a big help in alarm/alert and documentation.

After seeing Evo Lite+ in a vid, I looked it up on Amazon. The sales write up on Amazon for the 6K, 1" model said:

"... intelligent moonlight algorithm, the can capture crisp, vibrant details at night with low noise — even when the ISO is cranked up high".

Unfortunately, I can only find examples of night shots in the city where there is uncountable light sources in the background. Any one have any sample night video in a rural setting? I'm trying to determine if I can get usable images of cows, sheep and people in dark pastures.

Sure wish I could afford a thermal ......

Hi All,

We've had two incursions on the farm in a month -- "scouts" most likely looking to steal or perhaps violence. We're trying to lock down the farm and thought a drone might be a big help in alarm/alert and documentation.

After seeing Evo Lite+ in a vid, I looked it up on Amazon. The sales write up on Amazon for the 6K, 1" model said:

"... intelligent moonlight algorithm, the can capture crisp, vibrant details at night with low noise — even when the ISO is cranked up high".

Unfortunately, I can only find examples of night shots in the city where there is uncountable light sources in the background. Any one have any sample night video in a rural setting? I'm trying to determine if I can get usable images of cows, sheep and people in dark pastures.

Regardless of the marketing hype, no camera short of night vision or thermal can capture anything without light. I highly doubt you will get anything useable at night in a rural setting, in my opinion buying any drone for that use would be a waste of money.

CCTV cameras are specifically built to capture as much information as possible at night and they switch to black and white at night and use IR emitters to emit light that is invisible to the human eye so that they can record an image; even in that situation with cameras specialized like that for night work, the subject has to be within a few yards of the camera to record anything useful; there's no way a Nano+ flying many feet up will come close to replicating that.

I have cinema cameras and mirrorless photography cameras as well as DSLRs; all with far superior light gathering capabilities over the Nano+......not one of them is useful in a rural setting with just moonlight.

Reactions: Djeloan and kccumm
Maybe you should consider some game cameras placed at various locations. Parts of our forest become a freeway at night for coyotes and deer that we were not aware of until looking at the footage from those cameras. Much cheaper than a drone too.

Maybe you should consider some game cameras placed at various locations. Parts of our forest become a freeway at night for coyotes and deer that we were not aware of until looking at the footage from those cameras. Much cheaper than a drone too.

Definitely a better option than a drone.

I wondered about low light performance in a rural setting too, so I did a video for my YT channel:

I've got another one coming out tomorrow using super night against a distant severe thunderstorm.

I think it's the wrong tool for the job, honestly... the game camera idea is where I'd go with this issue. As mentioned, there are purpose built cameras for this kind of thing and you don't really find them in a drone.

Reactions: herein2021
Kind of late to the party here. I agree with the other replies but for the heck of it here are some screen shots of night mode with the lite plus drone in the country. Actually they turned out pretty nice and some scenes of the video are quite usable espeacially if you hoover. It was much darker than it appears on the screen shots and the exposure settings vary automatically as there is no pro mode. During the flight the footage looked like crap on my phone but later viewing off the card things looked ok. No editing was done to the samples.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-08-15 at 7.52.28 PM 7.PNG
    Screen Shot 2022-08-15 at 7.52.28 PM 7.PNG
    6.2 MB · Views: 18
  • Screen Shot 2022-08-15 at 8.16.24 PM 4.PNG
    Screen Shot 2022-08-15 at 8.16.24 PM 4.PNG
    5.8 MB · Views: 18
  • Screen Shot 2022-08-15 at 8.18.52 PM 2.PNG
    Screen Shot 2022-08-15 at 8.18.52 PM 2.PNG
    6.2 MB · Views: 15
  • Screen Shot 2022-08-15 at 8.19.40 PM.PNG
    Screen Shot 2022-08-15 at 8.19.40 PM.PNG
    4.6 MB · Views: 18
i remember the evo1 use to have an aux light it could fly with at night

Is this what you want? A friend has this, it's not fun but can be very useful.

remove the UV lens filter and mount an adustable beam infared LED flashlight on the drone, much cheaper than high end infared factory unit

Hi All,

I live in the middle of no where in vermont the led spot light that is on this drone plus setting it on night mode works amazing if you buy the fox fury lights you can see like day light but don't need them

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rudymuller