Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Night modes in rural setting?

MattA

Reaction score
Hi All,

We've had two incursions on the farm in a month -- "scouts" most likely looking to steal or perhaps violence. We're trying to lock down the farm and thought a drone might be a big help in alarm/alert and documentation.

After seeing Evo Lite+ in a vid, I looked it up on Amazon. The sales write up on Amazon for the 6K, 1" model said:

"... intelligent moonlight algorithm, the can capture crisp, vibrant details at night with low noise — even when the ISO is cranked up high".

Unfortunately, I can only find examples of night shots in the city where there is uncountable light sources in the background. Any one have any sample night video in a rural setting? I'm trying to determine if I can get usable images of cows, sheep and people in dark pastures.

Sure wish I could afford a thermal ......

herein2021

Reaction score
Hi All,

We've had two incursions on the farm in a month -- "scouts" most likely looking to steal or perhaps violence. We're trying to lock down the farm and thought a drone might be a big help in alarm/alert and documentation.

After seeing Evo Lite+ in a vid, I looked it up on Amazon. The sales write up on Amazon for the 6K, 1" model said:

"... intelligent moonlight algorithm, the can capture crisp, vibrant details at night with low noise — even when the ISO is cranked up high".

Unfortunately, I can only find examples of night shots in the city where there is uncountable light sources in the background. Any one have any sample night video in a rural setting? I'm trying to determine if I can get usable images of cows, sheep and people in dark pastures.

Sure wish I could afford a thermal ......

Regardless of the marketing hype, no camera short of night vision or thermal can capture anything without light. I highly doubt you will get anything useable at night in a rural setting, in my opinion buying any drone for that use would be a waste of money.

CCTV cameras are specifically built to capture as much information as possible at night and they switch to black and white at night and use IR emitters to emit light that is invisible to the human eye so that they can record an image; even in that situation with cameras specialized like that for night work, the subject has to be within a few yards of the camera to record anything useful; there's no way a Nano+ flying many feet up will come close to replicating that.

I have cinema cameras and mirrorless photography cameras as well as DSLRs; all with far superior light gathering capabilities over the Nano+......not one of them is useful in a rural setting with just moonlight.

Reactions: Djeloan and kccumm

ethelsnakes

Reaction score
Maybe you should consider some game cameras placed at various locations. Parts of our forest become a freeway at night for coyotes and deer that we were not aware of until looking at the footage from those cameras. Much cheaper than a drone too.

herein2021

Reaction score
Maybe you should consider some game cameras placed at various locations. Parts of our forest become a freeway at night for coyotes and deer that we were not aware of until looking at the footage from those cameras. Much cheaper than a drone too.

Definitely a better option than a drone.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vinegretos