Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

New rules on the horizon?

Jagerbomb52

Reaction score
According to a podcast (DroneU) there are about 8 million drones out there. The FCC has handed out 2 fines and 3 are pending.There has been 1 confirmed case of drone vs airplane contact. 6 out of 8,000,000 hardly seems to justify "“Based on a number of recent incidents, we are increasingly concerned that uncertificated, untrained recreational drone operators are flying small UAS near airports and manned aircraft. … ".
Having given the statistics, I suspect many flyers do break the FCC rules and have not been caught or had the FCC give a warning. (I do not recall if the podcast stated the amount of warnings issued with no further action).

Just another case of definitely have better things to do, but, can't stop meddling with what ain't broke.

Reactions: KentA
According to a podcast (DroneU) there are about 8 million drones out there. The FCC has handed out 2 fines and 3 are pending.There has been 1 confirmed case of drone vs airplane contact. 6 out of 8,000,000 hardly seems to justify "“Based on a number of recent incidents, we are increasingly concerned that uncertificated, untrained recreational drone operators are flying small UAS near airports and manned aircraft. … ".
Having given the statistics, I suspect many flyers do break the FCC rules and have not been caught or had the FCC give a warning. (I do not recall if the podcast stated the amount of warnings issued with no further action).

FCC?? I'm confused. Also, there are more citations than that issued in No Calif alone. Are you talking about apples or bananas here?

Think FCC must have been a typo for FAA. Gonna bet bjtap is a ham, and his smartphone just stuck that in there, cuz it remembers FCC from a amateur radio forum. How's my detective work tap?

Reactions: BillFrmCL
It’s funny, sad, infuriating that no such FAA action is seriously considered to deal with the #1 cause of aerial noise pollution on earth. Tourist helicopters. My wife is more afraid of them crashing into our house than a drone hitting anything flying causing a crash — or peering in the bedroom.
If drones stay at 400’ and below, more than 5 miles outside ATC, what’s the issue? No helicopter or aircraft will ever fly that low (legally) outside ATC take-off/landing vectors.

Drones can be annoying, if flown irresponsibly, but they don’t rattle your windows. Largely, essentially unregulated helicopters can be deadly...

It’s funny, sad, infuriating that no such FAA action is seriously considered to deal with the #1 cause of aerial noise pollution on earth. Tourist helicopters. My wife is more afraid of them crashing into our house than a drone hitting anything flying causing a crash — or peering in the bedroom.
If drones stay at 400’ and below, more than 5 miles outside ATC, what’s the issue? No helicopter or aircraft will ever fly that low (legally) outside ATC take-off/landing vectors.

Drones can be annoying, if flown irresponsibly, but they don’t rattle your windows. Largely, essentially unregulated helicopters can be deadly...

Well it seems we have a new company that started up in the bigger city about 25 miles away. Its a helicopter service :(
Not just one but two Bell 412C BLR's sat over the falls making all kinds of racket for around 15-20 minutes. And very low.
Wiskair Helicopters
Now I know why you complain about them and want to move.

Reactions: HiloHawaiian
Well it seems we have a new company that started up in the bigger city about 25 miles away. Its a helicopter service :(
Not just one but two Bell 412C BLR's sat over the falls making all kinds of racket for around 15-20 minutes. And very low.
Wiskair Helicopters
Now I know why you complain about them and want to move.
OMG I literally feel your pain. When you start to get 20-30-40 a day, you’ll start screaming at the sky like a madman :(

If they make money, others will follow. Bell’s are really loud, the loudest ones in Hawaii, the MD/Boeing 500 a close 2nd. The worst part is I bet you live in a relatively quiet area. If so, the difference can be even more pronounced. Read this explanation why it is one of the worst forms of noise pollution on the planet:
Helicopter Noise

Thanks for the link, I will be giving that to our town mayor not that it will do any good but at least I tried :(

Last edited:
Reactions: Jagerbomb52

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials