Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

New in San Diego

FDS Pilot

Reaction score
Hello to the group ? I'm somewhat new to flying drones but not new to flying or remote piloting.
I have been a part 61 Private Pilot since 1999 and currently am checked out in 7 different types of aircraft. I have built and flown various r/c model aircraft including helicopters since I was a kid but never had live view until I flew my buddies Mavic. I instantaneously knew that I was hooked on flying drones.
After owning a no name quad rotor drone for a little more than a year, with a few crashes and even weed whacking a few times, I decided it was time to move up to a quality 4K drone. Although all my flying has been on my no name and buddies Mavic (he kept telling me all other drones sucked compared to DJI) my research brought me to the EVO.
I attended Commercial Drone Expo 2019 this week in Las Vegas and saw some incredible aircraft. Autel had a large booth with an EVO flying in a cage so I stopped and talked to Brian about the comparison between the Mavic 2 Zoom and the EVO.
In the end the EVO was the better choice because I get to make all the airspace decisions and am not controlled by the company who built my drone.
I am currently studying for adding part 107 to my pilots toolbox and seeing where my addiction to drones leads me.
My EVO Rugged Bundle will be here next week and I'll check back in with first flight impressions.
JB

Welcome to the Forum. I think you will enjoy your membership. There are many other members happy to provide assistance for any issues you may have, and those that may need information you bring. A lot of good information is already stored in existing threads.

Couple easy things:
1.) The search Icon is your friend. It's the magnifying glass near the upper right of the screen when you scroll all the way up. It can find many answers you will never find by yourself.
2.) Be aware that you won't always get a quick response. There are times when many other members are on line, and sometimes only a few. A response may not show up until the right person sees it.
3.) Be aware the forum is Global. If you are exchanging with a member on the other side of the world, response can get delayed and out of sequence due to a difference in local time.
4.) Although the Forum is global, the language is English. It is customary to translate other languages to English. Many members also include the original language post to help alleviate translation errors.
5.) Review the forum rules (on the bottom right). There are not too many, but it is important they are followed to keep the Forum a useful and happy place for everyone.

Also please ***READ BEFORE POSTING FOR HELP***

Welcome to the forum. Sounds like you did your research. I think that's what brought most of us here.
Looking forward to hearing your impressions.

Welcome aboard Captain. Its great to see a new member that has come up through the ranks from an 'old school' perspective. Literally real flying by the seat of your pants. Are all your check offs fixed wing? Any solid rocket check off in the future? My friend at SpaceX in Texas said they are working on the Mars Mission scheduled for 2024 or 2025. I've already volunteered for a One Way Ticket but haven't heard from Elon yet. ? They also have a project for constructing a moon base for mining during this next decade. I'll buy every share of stock in that company I can afford once it goes public!

I think you made the right purchasing choice to get your feet wet. I wasn't even aware of the Commercial UAV Expo 2019 in Vegas until I spotted a note too late on Autel's FB page. I will definitely keep an eye out for their next year's schedule. I've already circled my calendar for CES in January. Its a good chance to connect with my bro in 29 Palms at the same time.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials