Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Need Help. Evo 1 & EVO 2 PRO with Smart Controller

Robert Portulano

Reaction score
OK so here is my dilemma. I purchased New an EVO II V1 a year ago and then this past May a V1 Smart Controller along with a Live Deck. To my surprise everything worked great until recently. A month ago I picked up a very nice EVO I with 4 Batteries, controller and Authentic Autel hard case for $400.00. So again to my surprise when I paired it to my Smart Controller everything worked great.. Now to my problem, after my third flight with my EVO I using the smart controller I was informed of a Firmware update (1.5.8) was required. Before updating I confirmed both my system software and App Software were up to date per my Smart Controller via Over-Air. so I then proceeded to accept the 1.5.8 update. after everything competed I rebooted both the EVO I and Smart Controller and this is where the problems began. The Smart controller no longer connects with either my EVO I or my EVO II v1 but they do connect with their standard controllers respectively. Unfortunately I didn't capture any of the versions of software for in my EVO I or EVO II prior to the 1.58 update. I attempted to roll back the EVO I but with no success. I attempted a SMART CONTROLLER Factory Reset with no success. Any Assistance I can get to get them both working on my $1200. SMART BRICK would be greatly appreciated.

EVO I on Firmware 1.5.8 - Complete and as directed by AUTEL TECH SUPPORT.
EVO II on Firmware 2.7.25 - Complete and as directed by AUTEL TECH SUPPORT.

Last edited:
Before doing anything, you must read the instructions carefully and get informed beforehand.
Who told you that the Smartcontroller is compatible with the Evo 1 ?, I hope nobody told you that, because it is completely incompatible with the Evo 1, it is made to connect only with the Evo 2. I hope that by trying to connect it with the Evo 1, you haven't blocked the Smartcontroller.
All you can do is try to put the SmartController back in Factory mode and try to reconnect it to the Evo 2 and only to the Evo 2. Otherwise, it's over to the after-sales service.

Cluaudius62 thanks for your reply. Like I said, both my EVO1 and my V1 EVO II PRO both worked perfectly fine with my V1 Smart Controller up until I was prompted to perform an Over the Air Upgrade to Firmware 1.5.8 just after a recent successful flight with my EVO 1. After completing the Over the Air Upgrade I lost the ability to connect to both birds. What I've tried to correct this is perform a factory restore (App version 1.0.34) of the Smart Controller - unsuccessful, After the factory restore of the Smart Controller I was prompted to upgrade the App to 1.0.41 which I did again with no change. Next I tried Downgrading my EVO I to earlier Firmware versions- unsuccessful. Finally as directed by Autel Tech support I upgraded both the EVO I and EVO II PRO to the most Up-to-Date Firmware, both unsuccessful in connecting with the Smart Controller however they do connect with their Standard Controllers respectively. The biggest problem as I see it now is since I am unable to connect either bird to the smart controller any updates at this time to the Smart Controllers versions appear to have to be done manually which I am unsure how to accomplish this. Any Suggestions would be helpful.

Last edited:
I would first focus on trying to get the SC to bind with the Evo2. You have tried to manually bind it, correct?

Second. If you did an over the air update with the SC while connected to the Evo 1, and after the update, the SC will not connect to the Evo 2, that would indicate something changed in the SC.

If you factory reset the smart controller and it still will not manually bind to the Evo2, then there is likely a FW mismatch between the SC and the Evo2.

Looking on the downloads page, the only FW for the Evo2 v.1 that specifically states it is for the Smart Controller is a beta version. You may have to give that a try to see if you can then bind the SC and Evo2.

I repeat, absolutely do not use the SmartController with the Evo 1, it is not made for and the transmission protocol between the two is not the same between the smartcontroller and the Evo 2.

Just thinking out loud here, but it might be that the software isn't the problem but it is a radio frequency issue. I own two Evos and each one can fly in the same airspace at the same time with controllers matched to their respective drone.
I can do that because they are transmitting and receiving on different frequencies, even though they are the same models and softwares.

OK so here is my dilemma. I purchased New an EVO II iV1 a year ago and then this past May a V1 Smart Controller along with a Live Deck. To my surprise everything worked great until recently. A month ago I picked up a very nice EVO I with 4 Batteries, controller and Authentic Autel hard case for $400.00. So again to my surprise when I pared it to my Smart Controller everything worked great.. Now to my problem, after my second flight with my EVO I using the smart controller I was informed of a Firmware update (1.5.8) was required. Before updating I confirmed both my system software and App Software were up to date per my Smart Controller via Over-Air. so I then proceeded to accept the 1.5.8 update. after everything competed I rebooted both the EVO I and Smart Controller and this i where the problems began. The Smart controller no longer connects with either my EVO I or my EVO II v1 but they do connect their standard controllers respectively. Unfortunately I didn't capture any of the versions of software for in my EVO I or EVO II prior to the 1.58 update. I attempted to roll back the EVO I but with no success. I attempted a SMART CONTOLLER Factory Reset with no success. Any Assistance I can get to get them both working on my $1200. SMART BRICK would be greatly appreciated.

EVO I on Firmware 1.5.8 - Complete and as directed by AUTEL TECH SUPPORT.
EVO II on Firmware 2.7.25 - Complete and as directed by AUTEL TECH SUPPORT.
Hello Robert,

Any news with the recent update issues on your SmartController V1? Have you been able to fix the problem, or send it in?

Your experience is very interesting, and kind of gives us a ray of hope maybe Evo 1 can operate off the SmartController V1 as yours did before you mistakenly updated the wrong firmware.

Sounds like your Evo 1 was operating fine with the SmartController V1, apparently after binding Evo 1 you had a successful flight using the SmartController. It wasn’t until after updating to firmware 1.5.8, due to the smartController prompting you to update you had serious issues. Now, I’m wondering as long as one doesn’t update the SmartController to firmware 1.5.8 with Evo 1 connected to SmartController will the Evo 1 continue to fly with no issues like yours did. If it does continue to fly with no issues, this is great news with those owning an evo 1 they can use it with the SmartController as long as they don’t update to firm 1.5.8 when it prompts it too.

Can anyone with a better understanding than mine share there thoughts on this, I think Robert is on to something here maybe it’s possible to successfully use an Evo 1 with the SmartController V1 with only binding bypassing updating to firmware 1.5.8.

Keep us posted Robert, hope you get your SmartController going again.

Paul

At this time I have an open ticket with Autel and will be hopefully dropping off my V1 Smart Controller with them this week. I am a bit fortunate since their location is approx. 7 miles from my work/home. To all Evo 1 & Evo 2 PRO V1 owners out there, I can assure you I did have both birds connected along with Live Deck and flying great prior to the 1.5.8 firmware update via V1 Smart Controller. I will say this though, although I hadn't fully tested all features with both birds and the Smart Controller, for the 3 times I flew the EVO1 with the V1 smart controller I did command RTH on all three and all three placed the bird smack in the center of my launch pad.

The sad thing is I really should have recorded what versions of Firmware I was flying on both as well as wrote down all of the individual versions of the Flight Controller thru ESC4 that worked together. Now that Autel Tech Support told me to individually update both my EVO 1 & EVO2 PRO to the most recent Firmware by using their respective standard controllers, I feel I may never get back to using my V1 Smart controller again with both. Now I am back to flying my DJI's, FIMI's and Power Eggs.

To Be Continued.........

Reactions: Waldo Pepper
Hello Robert,

Any news with the recent update issues on your SmartController V1? Have you been able to fix the problem, or send it in?

Your experience is very interesting, and kind of gives us a ray of hope maybe Evo 1 can operate off the SmartController V1 as yours did before you mistakenly updated the wrong firmware.

Sounds like your Evo 1 was operating fine with the SmartController V1, apparently after binding Evo 1 you had a successful flight using the SmartController. It wasn’t until after updating to firmware 1.5.8, due to the smartController prompting you to update you had serious issues. Now, I’m wondering as long as one doesn’t update the SmartController to firmware 1.5.8 with Evo 1 connected to SmartController will the Evo 1 continue to fly with no issues like yours did. If it does continue to fly with no issues, this is great news with those owning an evo 1 they can use it with the SmartController as long as they don’t update to firm 1.5.8 when it prompts it too.

Can anyone with a better understanding than mine share there thoughts on this, I think Robert is on to something here maybe it’s possible to successfully use an Evo 1 with the SmartController V1 with only binding bypassing updating to firmware 1.5.8.

Keep us posted Robert, hope you get your SmartController going again.

Paul
What are the benefits of the smart controller over the stock one. Newbie

With the SmartController, everything is there including a built in large screen no need for an iPhone or iPad. Plus, stronger transmission signal. The stock controller, although it has a mini screen it’s very small with limited features.

SmartController is actually for Evo 2 series, not designed for Evo 1 but after Roberts experience looks like an Evo 1 can operate off the new SmartController as long as one doesn’t update the firmware to 1.5.8.

With regard to the benefits most are subjective.. Regarding main main benefits one is screen size at most 8" an the other is screen brightness at 2000 knits. It'll be hard to find any screen brighter than 2000 nits from any tablet out there with exceptions being the TripleTek.

As for how to get this corrected. I will need a list of both the Evo 1 and Evo 2 firmwares along with a corresponding list of what the individual versions per firmware are for the sub systems like Flighr Control, Remote Control ..etc. etc.. Basically all of the sub systems you see when you are connecter to your bird with your controller and using an Android App. Having these will allow me to compare the Eva 1 to the Evo 2 and find out what was working together. Finally I will need the same for what App the Smart Controller worked with that allowed my EVO 1 to fly with it..This should be enough to get me back to that place and maybe in working with Autel provide us an option that works together. I do think they intended them to work together which is why when opening the App they ask you if you want to connect to the Evo1 or Evo2.

This is the discussion I'm going to try and have with the Tech Support group and see if I can get to the bottom of this for all of us.

Just thinking out loud here, but it might be that the software isn't the problem but it is a radio frequency issue. I own two Evos and each one can fly in the same airspace at the same time with controllers matched to their respective drone.
I want to add some out loud thinking that's probably important knowledge in the future. I always assumed but never actually tested it. As it was so easy to pair the SC V.1 to the EVO 2, we never had an EVO 1 and we left it like that. We now own two V.1 aircrafts and only one smart controller. The second aircraft is just a backup unit. It almost never flew a mission. So our thoughts were as follows.

Should we damage the main aircraft or should it (knock on wood) unintentionally land in water, we should be able to get our backup unit in the air quickly...

We so far assumed this can be done by pairing the second unit to the same controller with one click on the hardware button and then re-linking in the Autel Explorer app, can theoretically be done in under a minute. Now the hypothetical question comes up, when out in the field, with poor or no mobile internet, if the backup aircraft has a different FW to the controller software, because someone in between updated the main aircraft together with the controller.

Could it in a weird case be possible you find yourself not being able pair back with the older FW,
(NOTE here I mean both EVO2 of the same generation yet theoretically on different firmware)

Yes we understand it is best to make sure all units are always up to date. But all units are not always available.
Therefore this hypothetical question popped up after reading this topic.

When opening the App they did ask you if you want to connect to the Evo1 or Evo2.
I can confirm I was recently still asked to choose between EVO 1 and EVO 2 before proceeding to pair. This was on the preinstalled App on a Smart Controller V1.

A minor hint to the option to control an EVO 1 with it, has not been ruled out from that pre-installed App, or else it would be a very odd bug to still have that question pop up. I cannot tell what App version it was. However I can say the controller was produced 2021 and shipped in February 2022 so presumably was a unit from the second or third batch.

As to the Smart Controller V2 for the obvious reasons of having a different protocol will never be able to communicate with an EVO 1 aircraft.

1. Camera men/women can judge the focal length or colours of the camera much better on that screen.
2. Lanyard allows some operations to be done single handed, like forward flight walking along with a bag.
3. This setup has one item less to charge and check batteries for before/after a mission.
4. Replaceable joysticks allow longer sticks for more precision (slow) flight.
5. The HDMI or USB allow a co-pilot with a field monitor or tablet to do 4 eyes / 4 hands on a task.
(Point 5 can also be done if you own a Live Deck combined with the stock controller. But not as smooth)

Reactions: glenarch
Attempting to wake up an older thread here... So, would it be worth it to buy the SC for my Evo 1? And will it boost the range? I have broken antennas and I want a better phone and this would take care of the two at once.
Please advise.

It's not worth it, the transmission system between the radio and the drone has evolved and will not adapt to the Evo 1, it will be erratic and a waste of time and money.

And as far as I understood the SC with V1 chip is sold out. Will not be an easy find on the secondhand market.

Getting a V1 refurbished remote for your drone, is the best bet at this point.

I've never used the SC, and instead I use a large screen mini laptop when I want to. I have two Evo 1s in mint condition, and to extend range I have an amplified antenna system. Don't use my system very much. Pity because the Evo1 is a fantastic system, and that's why I never upgraded. It does most everything the latest drones do.

Thanks for the info! I think I have decided to go with Alientech Duo with my stock transmitter.

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
supa_jb