Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Near-collision between drone and police helicopter

Jagerbomb52

Reaction score
That was close... Near-collision between what seems to be a DJI Inspire and a police helicopter in Tulsa, OK.

Reactions: HiloHawaiian
To me, it seems that drone was BVLOS and the pilot never saw the helo near him. I hope they catch and make an example of him. On a sidenote, the video quality seems poor. Could have been a Typhoon H as well.

Reactions: Micander
To me, it seems that drone was BVLOS

That'd be the explanation why they didn't catch him. If he were anywhere near, they would have been able to follow the drone home.

Watch the video again. Drone was AHEAD of the heli, looks like, but was on a collision course. Drone pilot probably never saw the heli....it came from behind and to the side. Damn close. Could have maybe not been BVLOS, if the drone pilot was looking at his screen and not looking at the drone. This is bad. BUT....I don't think the drone would have been able to hit the heli anyway...prop wash took care of it. I have seen a surfing meet video where there was a Mavic Pro hovering over the surfers, they were trying to throw things at it to knock it out of the air...it was just hovering. A tv heli came over to it and prop wash blew it right into the ocean. Pilot of the drone was an idiot.

Anytime I have been flying and a helicopter is approaching I can hear that sucker a long ways off. At least 3-4 minutes before its over top of me. Lots of time to get out of the way. That guy just did not respect the rules and put a lot of people in danger. I hope they track him down and throw the book at him.

It would be hard to believe that he didn't hear the helicopter.
The prop wash sure knocked the drone down effectively. But if the drone had been above the helicopter, the drone could have been sucked into the rotors.
BTW, I have a Typhoon H and that wasn't one. It looks like and Inspire as noted in the article.

Reactions: Micander

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuckster58