Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Naming protocol on files to avoid repeats when transferring to computer

Pierre Heistein

Reaction score
Is there a way that I can stop the Evo restarting the file numbering every time I fly/ change battery (I'm not sure what restarts it)? After a few days of flying I want to dump all my footage into one file on the Mac but I get loads of images and clips with the same file name (albeit spread across different folders).

Is there a way that I can stop the Evo restarting the file numbering every time I fly/ change battery (I'm not sure what restarts it)? After a few days of flying I want to dump all my footage into one file on the Mac but I get loads of images and clips with the same file name (albeit spread across different folders).
This is normal. Once each folder reaches 120 (If not mistaken) it will restart at 001 on a new folder. There is no way to change this.

Yea, I hear ya... There are a variety of ways you can change the file names via automated tasks on a Mac & PC. I think the file names only restart when we reformat the card or it reaches a set limit??

I sadly (in eagerness to see what a I shot immediately!!), overwrote some great Hawaiian mountain footage by being in a rush, and dumping the files in the wrong folder full of older video files. Not paying attention, I clicked ok to replace the files—because what I shot was so damn good...... I think, b/c I never saw any of it. :(.

Ever since then, I make a folder with the date/location of all footage (like 12-9-19BlackMtn), and dump the files straight from the drone there. Then, I immediately copy the folder to my video BU HDD. When I edit, I make another folder with the name of the project on yet a 3rd HDD, and dump the files I like in there, dupe that, then edit. Did I get anal about it or what??

Last edited:
Yea, I hear ya... There are a variety of ways you can change the file names via automated tasks on a Mac & PC. I think the file names only restart when we reformat the card or it reaches a set limit??

I sadly (in eagerness to see what a I shot immediately!!), overwrote some great Hawaiian mountain footage by being in a rush, and dumping the files in the wrong folder full of older video files. Not paying attention, I clicked ok to replace the files—because what I shot was so damn good...... I think, b/c I never saw any of it. :(.

Ever since then, I make a folder with the date/location of all footage (like 12-9-19BlackMtn), and dump the files straight from the drone there. Then, I immediately copy the folder to my video BU HDD. When I edit, I make another folder with the name of the project on yet a 3rd HDD, and dump the files I like in there, dupe that, then edit. Did I get anal about it or what??
In macOS Catalina you can batch rename files by selecting all and renaming. Adobe Bridge also has batch renaming with some great custom controls. MAKE A COPY BEFORE RENAMING. I keep two backups and a working copy of my files plus a cloud copy through Backblaze.

Reactions: HiloHawaiian
To keep my old brain from having to work too hard, I make monthly directories, then copy files into a daily sub-directory - adding location name to date (similar to Hilo). Only after confirmation of good copy will I delete from card. Also backup to external HDD.

One of my Canon cameras makes date directories automatically, which is so convenient. Wish Autel would include this option.

Reactions: AndyUrtu and saker
And then there are tons of free and not so free programs that will recover your videos and or photos like "iLike Video Recovery". As long as you have not formatted the card most of them work pretty good. The better programs will even recover most of your photos if the card has been formatted. Just ask the FBI ;)

Reactions: DanielC
And then there are tons of free and not so free programs that will recover your videos and or photos like "iLike Video Recovery". As long as you have not formatted the card most of them work pretty good. The better programs will even recover most of your photos if the card has been formatted. Just ask the FBI ;)
Trust me, I tried half-dozen programs to try and recover the footage. It was either corrupted or incomplete or both. I’ve had success using them before, but this time I stuck out....no idea why...

Recovering files is not so difficult with the right program even if the card/hdd has been formatted more than once. My ex boss doing Real Estate Appraising had formatted cards a few times with pictures of houses he needed. He would want to send me out to re take the pictures for a set fee. I would grab the card in front of him in the office and give him the pictures within minutes. He would pay me the same fee for recovering them as to drive out to the property to retake pictures. Can't remember exactly what program/s I used but there are tons out there. Rescue pro deluxe comes with some micro sd cards. I have that and Wondershare recoverit installed at the moment. Any of them can be used for any type of storage devices.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials