Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

My EVO is gone !!

I agree..when I called today no one picked up so I left a message. Not long afterwards they sent me an email apologizing for missing my call and then called me back. It was also the same guy I spoke with on Thursday and he remembered me and what had happened. I thought this was great customer service...
I like how they try to at least help you and go further. If it was DJI, they would tell you is your fault and you will need to pay for repairs.

Luckily (for me) i have never had an issue with a battery running out of steam...I ALWAYS fly with a fully charged battery and i have never had a power issue (or any other problem)..i don't have much experience ( 20 flights)...(Mavic Pro) and my new EVO will be flown with a FULLY CHARGED battery EVERY time..i got the EVO package with the extra batteries and there is no excuse for a battery problem IF i ever have a power problem...Virgin batteries when i have my first EVO flight...Hopefully it will perform as it should and no excuse whatsoever if there is a failure in any part of the system

Just an FYI, I lost my XSP the 1st day but had mounted a Marco Polo on it before flying, found my baby with it. Now i have added a Trakimo gps unit to it also for a just in case moment. You can't use the Trakimo without cell service, like in the mountains or a rural area, that's when i rely on the Marco Polo unit. Well worth the investment, both are very accurate.

Reactions: scoutie
Luckily (for me) i have never had an issue with a battery running out of steam...I ALWAYS fly with a fully charged battery and i have never had a power issue (or any other problem)..i don't have much experience ( 20 flights)...(Mavic Pro) and my new EVO will be flown with a FULLY CHARGED battery EVERY time..i got the EVO package with the extra batteries and there is no excuse for a battery problem IF i ever have a power problem...Virgin batteries when i have my first EVO flight...Hopefully it will perform as it should and no excuse whatsoever if there is a failure in any part of the system

I have or did have 4 batteries and I should have just got another battery instead of doing what I did. I still feel it would have failed but I would have been a lot closer and maybe out of those woods so to speak. This is something I will never do again and a good lessons learned. I was wondering since you have the Mavic Pro does it provide better connectivity than the EVO? I have found that the EVO suffers a lot of from interference which Im assuming is from all the Wi-Fi in the neighborhood. Fortunately I live on the outside perimeter street so there is nothing behind me but I still seem to get interference . I took the EVO to our place out in West Texas and there was no degrading of signal of any kind. Out there though there is no internet and no Wi-Fi and not even any cell service for that matter. Wish I could make it out there more often.

Just an FYI, I lost my XSP the 1st day but had mounted a Marco Polo on it before flying, found my baby with it. Now i have added a Trakimo gps unit to it also for a just in case moment. You can't use the Trakimo without cell service, like in the mountains or a rural area, that's when i rely on the Marco Polo unit. Well worth the investment, both are very accurate.
Glad to hear that from someone who has used the unit. Im going to look into the Trakimo unit also. Than ks for the info.

The Marco Polo uses a 2.4 ghz radio frequency, basically the transmitter mounted to your drone sends a signal to a reciever you have. It will tell you to go straight, turn, etc. Check the "view threads" using keywords Marco Polo, Trakimo or Battery maintenance to educate anyone interested on learning more, there are pictures of units mounted to an XSP & alot of good information from myself & several others on these subjects. Mounting to an EVO should be similar. as far a battery maintenance, all information would apply & should be followed weekly.

P.S. The MarcoPolo unit will supposedly only work once the drone battery is dead due to both using 2.4 ghz, I have tested with the battery still on & dead from a 1/4 mile away & it stll worked for me, the manufacturer suggests taking lunch 1st (lol) then go search for your investment.

My RTH height is set at 275ft but I never saw it descend even after that..
Why so high? Are you flying in area where that is necessary? Making it climb to that height cold be more of a hindrance than help... Unless you need it to climb that high to clear obstacle I would advise against it.

When all of this was happening it was disconnecting and reconnecting.
Weird - Why would it be connecting and disconnecting?

Still havent heard back from Autel which is starting to worry me. I have since purchased the Marco Polo unit to attach to my next EVO.
Great idea. I have used it before it works pretty well.

I like how they try to at least help you and go further. If it was DJI, they would tell you is your fault and you will need to pay for repairs.
That has not been my experience. What they would do is require you to send in the flight data. They would analyze it and determine the cause of the loss. If it was your fault you would likely get offered a discounted bird. If it was a fault of the bird you would get it replaced for free. I will say, with flight data most of the DJI issues are pilot related. I would imagine that Autel issues are similar although I don't know because I have never had a single problem with an Autel unit. Flight data doesn't lie and being an owner of DJI, Autel, and Yuneec I pay attention to all the related issues. I also address information I feel is not accurate like your statement about getting a replacement.

Reactions: Ansia
That has not been my experience. What they would do is require you to send in the flight data. They would analyze it and determine the cause of the loss. If it was your fault you would likely get offered a discounted bird. If it was a fault of the bird you would get it replaced for free. I will say, with flight data most of the DJI issues are pilot related. I would imagine that Autel issues are similar although I don't know because I have never had a single problem with an Autel unit. Flight data doesn't lie and being an owner of DJI, Autel, and Yuneec I pay attention to all the related issues. I also address information I feel is not accurate like your statement about getting a replacement.
I respect your comment and for the most part, everything is based on the flight data. But what I am trying to explain is that, DJI don't have the same quality and sometimes the extra mile in customer service satisfaction as Autel. Autel would go the extra mile to satisfy the customer. DJI customer service is not bad but wouldn't go further other than tell you that is your fault and nothing else. The discount that they usually offer is really not enough.

DJI customer service is not bad but wouldn't go further other than tell you that is your fault and nothing else
Again that has not been my experience. Yes it is harder to get them to change their mind once a decision has been made. BUT... for the most part. The experts on the MavicPilots forum and DJI forum can tell why a bird goes down. You can go and look at the forum and see the analysis of the flight date clearly. That is one of the benefits of the DJI, flight data recorder in the app. You don't need to recover the bird to see exactly what happened. 95% of the time it is because someone made an error. It's actually comical to me to read the stories and then see actually see what happened when the flight data is shared for everyone to see.

If you set return to home too low and run your bird into a tree because you fly behind a mountain and lose connection why should DJI give you a new bird. If you fly beyond line of sight set return to home at 300 feet in 30 mile per hour winds lose connection... is it really a fly away when the bird ascends to 300 feet and is blown into the next state.. should DJI replace it? Sorry for the rant. I understand AUTEL has far superior CS, I think its a function of the number of units sold, but their support in my experience is not as advertised.

The discount that they usually offer is really not enough.
I agree the discount is small but.. it should be small if you are at fault. What they usually do, when it is your fault, is allow you to buy the bird only at a small discount. To me that is all you should expect. As owner of both I know the anthem of the folks that don't like DJI. I know the anthem of DJI fandom as well. I could care less about brand. I just call it like I see it. I have had only 1 Autel product and I feel burned by that purchase. They eluded to many many things and delivered on none of them. That stinks. Yes they will answer on the first ring and will send me a new bird even if by my negligence I crash it... but I still don't have third party apps or the camera they promised. How is that great support.

I am a sucker for a good product though - my XSP still goes with me when I fly because I am fearful of an inaccurate NFZ. That being said, the NFZ's in one of the updates that folks complain about, was completely revamped. The areas are much smaller and more logical. I like both products but both companies have strengths and weaknesses.

Scary thread. Whenever I fly my other drone, I always go and check the levels for each of my 4 cells and top off before every flight. These lipos are notorious for cells to go bad. If one of my 4 cells is damaged, my understanding is that they can drop off very quickly and that's not good in the middle of a flight. With batteries, you only have the app data to go by. If the app data is not producing a test load to each cell during start up, all bets are off. It's hard to mitigate battery issues. The most you can do in preflight is check you cell levels and keep your fingers crossed.

Doesn't the Autel app have logs that tell if the issue was caused due to a bad cell dropping off to quickly? If so, then that's something that should cleary be covered by Autel, in warranty or not. This doesn't sound like a pilot error but rather a programming issue which isn't taking into account a battery issue prior to flight. Interesting but scary thread.

Tight lines.

Last edited:
Reactions: HiloHawaiian
Scary thread. Whenever I fly my other drone, I always go and check the levels for each of my 4 cells and top off before every flight. These lipos are notorious for cells to go bad. If one of my 4 cells is damaged, my understanding is that they can drop off very quickly and that's not good in the middle of a flight. With batteries, you only have the app data to go by. If the app data is not producing a test load to each cell during start up, all bets are off. It's hard to mitigate battery issues. The most you can do in preflight is check you cell levels and keep your fingers crossed.

Doesn't the Autel app have logs that tell if the issue was caused due to a bad cell dropping off to quickly? If so, then that's something that should cleary be covered by Autel, in warranty or not. This doesn't sound like a pilot error but rather a programming issue which isn't taking into account a battery issue prior to flight. Interesting but scary thread.

Tight lines.

Sorry but i am not hip to the lingo re LIPOS and the specifics of batteries...how does someone check The "lipos " also..what are they ?I have mentioned that i never fly (MP) without 100% battery power...i cash in when i get a low battery notice...also...i have an EVO that i have not used yet,still in the box...are you all referring to The AUTEL batteries or DJI ? Are the basically the same re what you have been discussing ? I try to go strictly by the book...i would be crazy if i lost either one of them...Please give me info re both batteries (if possible) and it would help me to not make a mistake that is $1k's worth of a problem...i try to leave my MP with 30% battery power after a flight (is that a good level to prolong life of the battery ..and or on BOTH products...this is all new to me...i am learning all HERE and on the Mavic board...What is best for BOTH type batteries ? I learn here so i appreciate any info from of the many advanced pilots here and on the Mavic...Thanks to all and anyone else that could provide info re Both...Smooth sailing my friends...Marty/NYC

Sorry but i am not hip to the lingo re LIPOS and the specifics of batteries...how does someone check The "lipos " also..what are they ?I have mentioned that i never fly (MP) without 100% battery power...i cash in when i get a low battery notice...also...i have an EVO that i have not used yet,still in the box...are you all referring to The AUTEL batteries or DJI ? Are the basically the same re what you have been discussing ? I try to go strictly by the book...i would be crazy if i lost either one of them...Please give me info re both batteries (if possible) and it would help me to not make a mistake that is $1k's worth of a problem...i try to leave my MP with 30% battery power after a flight (is that a good level to prolong life of the battery ..and or on BOTH products...this is all new to me...i am learning all HERE and on the Mavic board...What is best for BOTH type batteries ? I learn here so i appreciate any info from of the many advanced pilots here and on the Mavic...Thanks to all and anyone else that could provide info re Both...Smooth sailing my friends...Marty/NYC

Lithium Ion Polymer batteries are referred to as Lipos.

Reactions: Ansia
Mucho THANKOS...i appreciate all answers to my questions...even the easy ones

Well got great news today..my new EVO is on its way !!! The nice folks at Autel apologized for taking so long to respond and said CES had set them back more that they thought it would. He once again let me know to never fly without the battery being fully charged even when just barely depleted as mine was. The tech there said it can and apparently in my case cause a sudden rapid discharge if one was to take off without a full charge. Like I told him lesson learned and wont happen again. They are going to replace it under warranty so the EVO should be here early next week.

Well got great news today..my new EVO is on its way !!! The nice folks at Autel apologized for taking so long to respond and said CES had set them back more that they thought it would. He once again let me know to never fly without the battery being fully charged even when just barely depleted as mine was. The tech there said it can and apparently in my case cause a sudden rapid discharge if one was to take off without a full charge. Like I told him lesson learned and wont happen again. They are going to replace it under warranty so the EVO should be here early next week.
Congrats... Autel is very generous. If it was DJI, oh boy... They will probably charge money to just replace it.

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials