Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

My 1st LAANC Flight!

rangerb3

Reaction score
Today, I made my 1st LAANC approved flight under recreational pilot! I used the Kittyhawk app on my phone to layout and submit the flight details to the FAA and it was approved within a matter of minutes! I could not have been more excited and surprised at how easy and quick the process was. With many years of flying airplanes and helo's in the US Airspace system, I'm certain future LAANC flights won't all be that easy.

I did not capture the Kittyhawk flight on my Ipad because I had forgotten that I had it installed. I'll try using it in my back yard in the near future to make sure it works through the Ipad. Here is an annotated picture of the LAANC approved flight area.

2021-3-18 LAANC flight - layout.jpg

This is what I was trying to capture....

MAX_0013.JPG

For years, I've been driving this route and noticed some birds-of-prey making nests on top of the powerline supports. Today, I decided to use my new EVO 2 to get some detailed photo's and video of their activities. Don't dispare...The supports are about 60 ft tall and this photo and my flight went no lower than 250 ft. LAANC was approved for 300 ft. Sorry, couldn't get any photo's of the birds!

From my launch position I did have to fly over a two-lane road to get out and over the power lines but, was able to judge the overflight when no cars were present. The little white vehicle on the left side of the road in the below picture was my Honda Ridgeline pickup/launch point. I was directly over the support in the 1st picture....

MAX_0022.JPG

My plan was to take off from inside the back of my truck but, I kept getting compass anomalies on the RC so, I decided to put the E2 on the ground about 10 ft in front of the truck....Not ideal, but usable under the circumstances!

I did have my UAS Certificate of Registration and the LAANC approval text and Kittyhawk running showing the actual graphic image in real-time of the approved flight just in case someone stopped to inquire about what I was doing! "Why" you ask?....I've been watching a lot of drone encounters with police & the public so, I wanted to cover as many bases as I could! After I get my part 107, I'll make sure to wear my high-visibility vest with FAA Certified Drone Pilot message on it to help with any problems I may encounter!

Lessons Learned:

1) Utilized Kittyhawk app when LAANC flights are done.
2) Make a landing pad from 3/4" plywood for future flights on unimproved LZ's.

It was a fun flight!

Last edited:
Congrats! I felt somehow "important" when the FAA approved my first LAANC flight. Happy trails!

glad you have a great time, looks like a great place to fly. my laanc comes in seconds, not minutes. ;)

Today, I made my 1st LAANC approved flight under recreational pilot! I used the Kittyhawk app on my phone to layout and submit the flight details to the FAA and it was approved within a matter of minutes! I could not have been more excited and surprised at how easy and quick the process was. With many years of flying airplanes and helo's in the US Airspace system, I'm certain future LAANC flights won't all be that easy.

I did not capture the Kittyhawk flight on my Ipad because I had forgotten that I had it installed. I'll try using it in my back yard in the near future to make sure it works through the Ipad. Here is an annotated picture of the LAANC approved flight area.

View attachment 9987

This is what I was trying to capture....

View attachment 9988

For years, I've been driving this route and noticed some birds-of-prey making nests on top of the powerline supports. Today, I decided to use my new EVO 2 to get some detailed photo's and video of their activities. Don't dispare...The supports are about 60 ft tall and this photo and my flight went no lower than 250 ft. LAANC was approved for 300 ft. Sorry, couldn't get any photo's of the birds!

From my launch position I did have to fly over a two-lane road to get out and over the power lines but, was able to judge the overflight when no cars were present. The little white vehicle on the left side of the road in the below picture was my Honda Ridgeline pickup/launch point. I was directly over the support in the 1st picture....

View attachment 9989

My plan was to take off from inside the back of my truck but, I kept getting compass anomalies on the RC so, I decided to put the E2 on the ground about 10 ft in front of the truck....Not ideal, but usable under the circumstances!

I did have my UAS Certificate of Registration and the LAANC approval text and Kittyhawk running showing the actual graphic image in real-time of the approved flight just in case someone stopped to inquire about what I was doing! "Why" you ask?....I've been watching a lot of drone encounters with police & the public so, I wanted to cover as many bases as I could! After I get my part 107, I'll make sure to wear my high-visibility vest with FAA Certified Drone Pilot message on it to help with any problems I may encounter!

Lessons Learned:

1) Utilized Kittyhawk app when LAANC flights are done.
2) Make a landing pad from 3/4" plywood for future flights on unimproved LZ's.

It was a fun flight!

Congrats. You already have a "real" pilots license so you could easily get a 107 license by taking the simple online FAA test. The high visibility vest is something not many people talk about but it definitely helps. I have a basic construction vest that I wear whenever I am flying the drones for commercial use; mainly because I could be standing in a roadway or parking lot and want to ensure cars see me but also to reduce the number of bystanders and pedestrians who might want to stop and talk to me.

I don't advise getting the one that says FAA Certified Drone Pilot because then you might attract more unwanted interest from kids or parents who want to see the drone. Many times the hardest part about flying the drone especially in downtown city areas is safely landing and taking off without people in the way. My basic construction vest has worked wonders for years now; no one is interested in a construction worker and no one questions what you are doing there either. Its also a good thing to have for when I'm filming construction site footage where the vest and a hard hat are required.

Be very careful of the compass errors; its good you didn't try to take off anyway because that could have turned into a flyaway. I personally never take off from cement and always launch from the top of my drone's case, you can read more about it here.

Reactions: autelBill
Congrats. You already have a "real" pilots license so you could easily get a 107 license by taking the simple online FAA test. The high visibility vest is something not many people talk about but it definitely helps. I have a basic construction vest that I wear whenever I am flying the drones for commercial use; mainly because I could be standing in a roadway or parking lot and want to ensure cars see me but also to reduce the number of bystanders and pedestrians who might want to stop and talk to me.

I don't advise getting the one that says FAA Certified Drone Pilot because then you might attract more unwanted interest from kids or parents who want to see the drone. Many times the hardest part about flying the drone especially in downtown city areas is safely landing and taking off without people in the way. My basic construction vest has worked wonders for years now; no one is interested in a construction worker and no one questions what you are doing there either. Its also a good thing to have for when I'm filming construction site footage where the vest and a hard hat are required.

Be very careful of the compass errors; its good you didn't try to take off anyway because that could have turned into a flyaway. I personally never take off from cement and always launch from the top of my drone's case, you can read more about it here.

I concur with you about the construction vest. I was a great investment. No more questions.

Reactions: kenautelevo2pro
I concur with you about the construction vest. I was a great investment. No more questions.
this is the vest I wear:

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuckster58