Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Mount Rainier & Chinook Pass

@TravisPNW Glad you posted this. I have a shoot to produce an infomercial for a resort in the high Sierras next week and was curious how the EVO would respond at high altitude. From your video I see it should be no problem. Taking it as well as a couple of other Hexs that I fly in windy conditions. I'm hoping the wind is down so I can shoot the EVO. Nice video!

Reactions: TravisPNW
@TravisPNW Glad you posted this. I have a shoot to produce an infomercial for a resort in the high Sierras next week and was curious how the EVO would respond at high altitude. From your video I see it should be no problem. Taking it as well as a couple of other Hexs that I fly in windy conditions. I'm hoping the wind is down so I can shoot the EVO. Nice video!
Don't fear the Evo in high winds. It will perform well. The gimbal does shake a bit, if you have the wind hitting you on the sides of the drone.

Reactions: jcommstudios

Thanks! Yeah it performs quite well. The high spot in that video was at the top of Chinook Pass (the road to Yakima, WA) at 5,280 ft in the last half of the video. The shots of Mt. Rainier were from around 4,000 ft or so... south of Paradise.

P.S. Before anyone scolds me, I'm aware that National Parks are NFZ's. I wasn't when I shot this video... it was a few days after I got the Evo and I really didn't think to check. I found out from a fellow drone flyer there in the parking zone who told me I'd be OK as long as a ranger didn't see. LOL At any rate, no wildlife was disturbed in the making of this video... and Chinook Pass isn't in the national park.

My next trip will be down to Mt. St. Helens which is a national monument, not a national park. I believe there are some restrictions but it should still be flyable from certain areas. Can't wait.

Happy flying!

Last edited:
Thanks! Yeah it performs quite well. The high spot in that video was at the top of Chinook Pass (the road to Yakima, WA) at 5,280 ft in the last half of the video. The shots of Mt. Rainier were from around 4,000 ft or so... south of Paradise.

P.S. Before anyone scolds me, I'm aware that National Parks are NFZ's. I wasn't when I shot this video... it was a few days after I got the Evo and I really didn't think to check. I found out from a fellow drone flyer there in the parking zone who told me I'd be OK as long as a ranger didn't see. LOL At any rate, no wildlife was disturbed in the making of this video... and Chinook Pass isn't in the national park.

My next trip will be down to Mt. St. Helens which is a national monument, not a national park. I believe there are some restrictions but it should still be flyable from certain areas. Can't wait.

Happy flying!
I will have to look a bit into it, because I am not 100% sure. But I believe you can fly as long as it's not a protected wildlife sanctuary or you don't take off from the park. You will probably still get in trouble one way or another.

I will have to look a bit into it, because I am not 100% sure. But I believe you can fly as long as it's not a protected wildlife sanctuary or you don't take off from the park. You will probably still get in trouble one way or another.

Yeah... there's so many beautiful places around here in the PNW and I've gotta research them all before flying. Snoqualmie Falls for example... flying is prohibited because it's a bird nesting area. Seriously?

I'm all about the wildlife but sometimes I still have to shake my head at all the drone hate. Anyway, I'll be doing my research.

I assume that Evo is just as robust as the XSP? I launched my XSP above 12,000’ on the Big Island of Hawaii several times (just below the 14’ Mauna Loa summit). The top LCD display on my Nikon D810 went blank at 13, 500’, (but not on the back screen or my iPhone, odd). It’s illegal to fly too close to the summit though, so I don’t know the real XSP height limit, but it’s higher than you want to go, LOL.

Only sustained winds above 25-30 kts seem to be a problem for long steady video takes, but it flew great. Unless you’re going above 12,000’ and flying in a gale, you should be fine!

Reactions: Ansia

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cronos