Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Mapping with the 640T

robport

Reaction score
I just bought an Evo II Enterprise with a 640T dual camera. I can't figure out how to turn off the thermal camera to be able to do a larger map. I would like to try the 48 megapixel version of the camera for mapping. I know it's actually a 12 megapixel picture, but the resolution of the higher setting leaves it less pixelated when you enlarge it. Anyway, I have asked about this on the Facebook page, but I get the same thing...just set up the camera before you create the map and it will work. I've tried it a bunch of times now, but I still get a bunch of 12 megapixel pictures and the thermal pictures. I've finally created a video showing what I'm doing. Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong?

I use the Dual 640R camera. In Explorer, you make the rgb option active or the thermal IR option active. There is also a combination option. Even if you make the rgb option active and design/fly a survey, you still capture both rgb visible (MAX_XXXX) and thermal IR (IRX_XXXX) photos simultaneously onto the SD card. Hence the term "Dual". I don't know of a way to turn either off and only capture one or the other.

I use the Dual 640R camera. In Explorer, you make the rgb option active or the thermal IR option active. There is also a combination option. Even if you make the rgb option active and design/fly a survey, you still capture both rgb visible (MAX_XXXX) and thermal IR (IRX_XXXX) photos simultaneously onto the SD card. Hence the term "Dual". I don't know of a way to turn either off and only capture one or the other.
Thanks for the reply. I was told by several people on the Facebook group, that all you have to do it set up the camera the way you want it, then switch over to the mission, create the mission, and it would fly with those camera settings. I thought I might be missing something, but it appears that you will map in 12 megapixels, no matter what. Even with that, I wanted to be able to cut off the thermal because I have to slow down for the three files to get written and might end up with 3000 files, where I need 1000. I'll guess I'll stick with my other drones for mapping.

Ive been using the 640T for mapping for about a year now--There is no way to only capture RGB or only Thermal (at least in all of my useage i have not found a setting or way to do it). I agree--it really puts a damper on storage for large mapping jobs.

Im actually going to buy the 20MP 1" snesor to swap out for RGB mapping jobs. If you just bough the EVO II 640T recently when it went on sale--buying the 20MP sensor to swap out as needed is a great deal.

Ive been using the 640T for mapping for about a year now--There is no way to only capture RGB or only Thermal (at least in all of my useage i have not found a setting or way to do it). I agree--it really puts a damper on storage for large mapping jobs.

Im actually going to buy the 20MP 1" snesor to swap out for RGB mapping jobs. If you just bough the EVO II 640T recently when it went on sale--buying the 20MP sensor to swap out as needed is a great deal.
Wow, so we can just swap the camera bundle? I must have missed that.

Wow, so we can just swap the camera bundle? I must have missed that.
Yep, it's only a few screws to change out the sensor. When you power up the aircraft and start the explorer app it will detect that a new sensor is on the aircraft.

There is a YouTube video about swapping it out...but it's in the users manual as well.

Only downside is that the sensor alone is like $800.

What do you use for processing your thermal stills and video? I can't get the Autel-provided software (v 1.3.3) to install and run on three different laptops. Are you using 3rd party software? If so, what is working?

I actually have a V1 6K camera on an Evo II pro. I bought the whole 640T enterprise pack, because during the panic selling, I found a new one at less than the price of the thermal camera by itself. I'm actually thinking about swapping the cameras on the two because I use the 6K one a few times a week and have no thermal work yet. I really like the upgraded controller that I don't need cables or an Ipad to use. Right now, I'm still playing with the Autel software for the thermal. I have to make sure I use the Windows file app to transfer the files to my computer or their program won't recognize the files. The Autel software is sort of buggy, crashes a lot, and sometimes, the temperatures just don't make sense, especially if you switch from Celsius to Fahrenheit. It would be nice if they would explain all the inputs on the right of the screen and how they effect the output, though I've played with them and didn't get expected results either.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials