Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Looks Like The United States Will Be A total NFZ

Jagerbomb52

Reaction score
The guy on the youtube channel "Drone Valley" called it right. He said that when the FAA looses control over the drone hobbyist, that state and local politicians would jump at the chance the regulate us pretty much out of existence. This is a good example of unintended consequences. A man files a lawsuit to stop the FAA from registering drone owners. The courts uphold this lawsuit. The FAA stops the registration. Drone owners who did not like the government interfering with the hobby start rejoicing
Consequence: possibly worse government interference from state and local politicians.
Should have left things alone.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wrsdas and mutuels
If that happens than the whole FAA commercial pilot thing is unneeded and useless because you won't be able to fly anywhere anyways.

I would like to urge everyone to contact the senators involved in this and express how you feel. I have already sent emails to 3 of them. Sen Blumenthals site would not accept my email since I was not from his home state. I will try and call instead. For info on contacting these people you can use this site:
U.S. Senate

Or would this only apply to hobbyist and not to commercial?

If that happens than the whole FAA commercial pilot thing is unneeded and useless because you won't be able to fly anywhere anyways.

Once you outlaw fun don't whine about the outlaws.

Guys, this is not unexpected and was already happening without any federal provisions.

This is exactly how our republic is supposed to work right?

This is not a federal issue and thus States don't need permission from the Fed's to regulate.

This is just more theater from our elected officials.

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk

And like with everything that gets a Bill issued, it usually takes years to make its way through the process. Plus, as I see it, (my opinion) it will take years to enforce and then won't be enforced completely. By that I mean, look at all the laws on the books now, police and law enforcement don't know 90 percent of the laws, unless someone brings it to their attention. What will activate the authorities are the many nut jobs in our hobby that don't follow the rules and do stupid stuff with their drones or aircraft.

I used to be (used to be) a strong supporter of the AMA, a member for many years. But, as I see it, when they sold us down the river with their lame representation with the FAA, it was time to no longer support them.

Now, this Bill might have some teeth, if it ever gets passed. But, since we have a Republican President, Senate and Congress, it will take awhile to get passed, since it was proposed by a Stinking Democrat. So, enjoy the hobby for all it's worth.

I really hope my concerns are unfounded, but I see this in a similar light to the problems gun owners face. Each state, county and local government has their own laws and regulations for the ownership and transporting of firearms. This is a real problem if you are traveling. Just ask someone who has ever run a-foul of a gun restriction they did not know about. I would like to be optimistic about this but I just can't.
Also, even though the bill was authored by Feinstein, let's not forget that 2 republicans co-sponsored the bill, Lee and Cotton. And it was strongly supported by the National Governors Committee.

Last edited:
I really hope my concerns are unfounded, but I see this in a similar light to the problems gun owners face. Each state, county and local government has their own laws and regulations for the ownership and transporting of firearms. This is a real problem if you are traveling. Just ask someone who has ever run a-foul of a gun restriction they did not know about. I would like to be optimistic about this but I just can't.

That is a great point, and one that is 100% accurate. However.. :p gun owners are partly to blame for the situation we find ourselves in, including myself. In the most restrictive states, you will likely find 90% of firearm owners completely apathetic, and wont lift a finger to fight for their right to exercise their God given right to protect themselves. Just like boiling a frog, little by little we loose our freedoms.

Just look at what the LGBT community, an extremely small % of our society, have accomplished. They are committed and extremely active. (it helps to have Hollywood and the media in your corner also?)

Reactions: JR Videography
I couldn't agree more. Which is why I believe that we should take this issue seriously. I truly believe that today's politicians from local to federal just live for the chance to regulate and control what people do. We will never escape all regulation, but less is better and the FAA guidelines were a lot better than what a bunch of state and local bureaucrats will do to us.

I couldn't agree more. Which is why I believe that we should take this issue seriously. I truly believe that today's politicians from local to federal just live for the chance to regulate and control what people do. We will never escape all regulation, but less is better and the FAA guidelines were a lot better than what a bunch of state and local bureaucrats will do to us.

True, but that state legislation landslide has already started, and in some cases over a year ago. The FAA was not going to preempt state law, quite the opposite actually. We are required to follow all jurisdictional law/rules/restrictions. IMO, because congress spanked the FAA, and it's become high profile news, the theater hawks are circling to get gain attention to themselves. The fact is states are going to regulate/restrict drones regardless of pretty much anything the Feds do, with only a few exceptions they're already at the business of separating us from our ability to fly.

IMO, It's at the sate and local levels is where we need to be most active. Hang tough, keep working on your state and local officials and make sure we are an extremely loud minority. :eek:

Reactions: BillFrmCL and fundy
The guy on the youtube channel "Drone Valley" called it right. He said that when the FAA looses control over the drone hobbyist, that state and local politicians would jump at the chance the regulate us pretty much out of existence. This is a good example of unintended consequences. A man files a lawsuit to stop the FAA from registering drone owners. The courts uphold this lawsuit. The FAA stops the registration. Drone owners who did not like the government interfering with the hobby start rejoicing
Consequence: possibly worse government interference from state and local politicians.
Should have left things alone.
Yep!

The town I live in has made it illegal to fly a drone in any city park. The county Forest Preseves have limited flying fields, but to use them, you have to be a member of the AMA ($75 a year) or have a home owners rider covering drones. In my case, my insurance company (State Farm) does not offer this. So for me, it HAS started. Thinking about getting out of this hobby.

The town I live in has made it illegal to fly a drone in any city park. The county Forest Preseves have limited flying fields, but to use them, you have to be a member of the AMA ($75 a year) or have a home owners rider covering drones. In my case, my insurance company (State Farm) does not offer this. So for me, it HAS started. Thinking about getting out of this hobby.

Verifly would take care of the insurance requirement...

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials