Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Launching and landing surface

Good job! I'm also intrigued by your tablet setup with the iPad Mini below the controller, on top of the handles. How is that attached?
Me too! I was wondering he same thing about his tablet. Also it looks like marshmellows on the control sticks?
butch

Good job! I'm also intrigued by your tablet setup with the iPad Mini below the controller, on top of the handles. How is that attached?

Below are photos of my rig. Been using this setup for over year with no problems, and with no special mounting hardware, it will work with just about any tablet size...

The tablet is held inside its folding leather case, and as you can see, I strap the case to the RC arms with a pair of heavy rubber bands.

The white material around the control knobs is soft foam I added last year before we had a way to adjust control touchiness -- and now I'm stuck using them because nothing else feels right!

Attachments

• 20190813_131206.jpg
    20190813_131206.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 19
  • 20190813_131234.jpg
    20190813_131234.jpg
    988.9 KB · Views: 19
Reactions: G_G
Below are photos of my rig. Been using this setup for over year with no problems, and with no special mounting hardware, it will work with just about any tablet size...

The tablet is held inside its folding leather case, and as you can see, I strap the case to the RC arms with a pair of heavy rubber bands.

Because you may ask, the white material around the control knobs is soft foam I added last year before we had a way to adjust control touchiness -- and now I'm stuck using them because nothing else feels right!
What are the foam inserts for?

What are the foam inserts for?

The control knob collars are made from durable spongy stryofoam (not typically brittle styrofoam). They are a personal hacks -- and I would not suggest this unless you are curious.

Story...

I bought one of the first Evos last summer, and I simply could not handle the control knobs as softly as I wanted -- so I added this foam. It softens movements and also tends to add a bit more motion-resistance when pushing the knobs toward their limits -- exactly what I want -- gentle control that keeps me from pushing too hard (unless I really want to push harder).

Since last summer, firmware updates have pretty much eliminated my complaints. Nonetheless, where the bare control knobs feel entirely foreign -- I am stuck. But I suppose, at some point, I'll rejoin civilization and take these things off.

Attachments

• 20190813_131206.jpg
    20190813_131206.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 5
Reactions: Ansia
The control knob collars are made from durable spongy stryofoam (not typically brittle styrofoam). They are a personal hacks -- and I would not suggest this unless you are curious.

Story...

I bought one of the first Evos last summer, and I simply could not handle the control knobs as softly as I wanted -- so I added this foam. It softens movements and also tends to add a bit more motion-resistance when pushing the knobs toward their limits -- exactly what I want -- gentle control that keeps me from pushing too hard (unless I really want to push harder).

Since last summer, firmware updates have pretty much eliminated my complaints. Nonetheless, where the bare control knobs feel entirely foreign -- I am stuck. But I suppose, at some point, I'll rejoin civilization and take these things off.
Hey. if the training wheels work, why not use them. I learned to hold the sticks with my thumb and index finger and ease the throttle slowly. This way it gives me more control over my movements, rather than just using the thumbs.

@gustofusion sells 3D printed ones but he is out of stock but If you asked he probably would make you up some pretty fast. He started making them for the X-Star as it suffers from the same problem.

The white material around the control knobs is soft foam I added last year before we had a way to adjust control touchiness -- and now I'm stuck using them because nothing else feels right!
Very clever! I like it! So the soft foam softens the stick controls, similar to a further Expo reduction?

Hey. if the training wheels work, why not use them. I learned to hold the sticks with my thumb and index finger and ease the throttle slowly. This way it gives me more control over my movements, rather than just using the thumbs.
Unfortunately, the old school "more control" method of holding each of the sticks with both a thumb and an index finger gives up simultaneous access to both the left and right scroll wheels, at least one of which is simultaneously required to control the gimbal elevation during the fine stick control needed for a cinematic shot. Modern RC's have been designed to use just the thumbs on the sticks, with both index fingers on both the side scroll wheels, and both middle fingers on the bottom C1 and C2 buttons.

A better solution is to use bigger stick tops, like these, which also allow you to gently nudge the edges, but give you a much better control surface on top. They slip over the top, and also don't poke into your thumbs!

Unfortunately, the old school "more control" method of holding each of the sticks with both a thumb and an index finger gives up simultaneous access to both the left and right scroll wheels, at least one of which is simultaneously required to control the gimbal elevation during the fine stick control needed for a cinematic shot. Modern RC's have been designed to use just the thumbs on the sticks, with both index fingers on both the side scroll wheels, and both middle fingers on the bottom C1 and C2 buttons.

A better solution is to use bigger stick tops, like these, which also allow you to gently nudge the edges, but give you a much better control surface on top. They slip over the top, and also don't poke into your thumbs!

C1 and C2 in our controller are useless, so don't worry about that. Use your middle finger for the scrolling wheel. It will take some time gettinf used to, but you will get better footage and better control.

C1 and C2 in our controller are useless, so don't worry about that. Use your middle finger for the scrolling wheel. It will take some time gettinf used to, but you will get better footage and better control.
Indeed, C1 and C2 are useless on the EVO, but not on all the other dozen drones in my hangar! The EVO is not the only drone I fly. Not going to mess up 4 years of flying instinct, changing over to an old school method of control that no one else uses any more, just because Autel hasn't yet seen fit to lower the yaw expo control to 10%, which works perfectly on all other aircraft. Get the silicone stick covers. No change in stick control necessary. I use them on my P4P, M2Z and M2P, too!

Indeed, C1 and C2 are useless on the EVO, but not on all the other dozen drones in my hangar! The EVO is not the only drone I fly. Not going to mess up 4 years of flying instinct, changing over to an old school method of control that no one else uses any more, just because Autel hasn't yet seen fit to lower the yaw expo control to 10%, which works perfectly on all other aircraft. Get the silicone stick covers. No change in stick control necessary. I use them on my P4P, M2Z and M2P, too!
Did you know you can raise the stick aktitude in the P4 controller, for more precision?

Don't you get a "Magnetic Interference" warning taking off from you patio deck with the rebar under the concrete?
I would think that is more of an issue than bending legs!

Don't you get a "Magnetic Interference" warning taking off from you patio deck with the rebar under the concrete?
I would think that is more of an issue than bending legs!
That's something I hadn't considered. In my case, the 'rebar' in the patio deck is closer to chicken wire, and it hasn't been a problem. To your wider point, I'm not sure how much nearby steel would be required to distort readings of Earth's magnetic field. I know that some audio speaker drivers are magnetically shielded, so nearby metal can have an effect on a magnetic field.

Did you know you can raise the stick aktitude in the P4 controller, for more precision?
Yup, and the silicone pads still add benefit of better control, after raising them. Adding them effectively raises the sticks another half inch, good for the EVO too!

These have a larger 22mm diameter top area with a recession for the thumbs, in combination with the rubbery grip sides on the Evo controller they feel really good with a touch of give... have to feel it to understand.

Autel_Evo_Joystick_Knobs_2.jpgAutel_Evo_Joystick_Knobs.jpg

These have a larger 22mm diameter top area with a recession for the thumbs, in combination with the rubbery grip sides on the Evo controller they feel really good with a touch of give... have to feel it to understand.

View attachment 4959View attachment 4960
Wish you had designed the EVO controller! I have both your bottom button guards and the right angle antenna connection protectors, and both are excellent additions that the EVO controller should have come with! Way to go!

Reactions: gustofusion

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sky3d