Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Landing gear extensions

Anyone have these? How sturdy are they?
Anyone have these? How sturdy are they?

I hand catch all of my 350 size quads, it eliminates possible damage to props, motors, esc's even due to a gentle tip over. Maybe the hardware is better now but I got tired of replacing esc's on a P2 vision+ that was equipped with extensions on landing gear even, I've hand caught ever since. Saves time, $$ & grief :cool:

I bought them and tested them out. They are nice to have, but I found they show up in the camera view quite often. I decided that for me, using the automatic landing feature does a nice job of getting the X-Star down cautiously and then cutting the motors as soon as it alights. The extenders are also added weight. I personally am a bigger fan of using the prop guards which would also protect the motors in case of a fall-over after landing, but which also provide more safety to property and lives during flight potentially.

Coincidentally, I had recently asked the same question of the manufacturer, posting to their Suggestions & Feedback page:

Ryan April 18, 2017 at 12:13 pm
Is it possible to redesign the “feet” of the gear so they angle out and away from the drone center or away from the camera? I would hope, if it’s feasible, that this would reduce the chances of getting the landing feet in the photos/videos. Thanks!

It is possible, but would require support material to be used when printing and would make for a messy part. What I would suggest is mount the gear, then with a hot air gun or a hair dryer warm the area where a bend would be and bend the front leg out a touch to suite your needs. Also under normal gentle flying the gear is not noticeable in the video, only when doing speedy and jerky movements can it be seen.
I don't own a pair, yet, so I can't speak to the results of the above. Hope that helps.

--Ryan

I know some people swear by them. For me I have never had a problem landing my XSP. No tip overs like some have stated. I have been flying UAV's now for 4 years and perhaps that experience has paid off.
I feel any added weight or drag is not a good thing in the end.
If your worried about tall grass get one of those landing pads. I use my trucks floor mats. They work perfectly :)
Screenshot 2017-04-23 15.44.03.png

Last edited:
Reactions: TAMU1996
I've gotten to where I prefer to land without using the "hold to land" button, eliminating those two bunny hops at the end.

Do you know how much these weigh? Have you conducted a test with flight time with them on and with them off? Just prop protectors makes a difference in flight time beleave it or not...

Starting to experiment with PVC with zip ties, coat hangers? ..... Kinda rough around the edges right now. Just tinkerin' around.

Attachments

• 20170427_203623.jpg
    20170427_203623.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 22
  • 20170427_205053.jpg
    20170427_205053.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 20
  • 20170427_210104.jpg
    20170427_210104.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 18
Last edited:
could you use foam ? like the kind they wrap a small pipe with...maybe just the bottom of the skids to raise it a small bit...it would be light too

Have had the wide versions for some time now that does not get in the cameras view.
IMG_7149.jpg

Have had the wide versions for some time now that does not get in the cameras view.
IMG_7149.jpg
I've seen those before and it seems a lot wider stance but doesn't it make it even more top heavy? I would think shortening the legs would make it better.

I've seen those before and it seems a lot wider stance but doesn't it make it even more top heavy? I would think shortening the legs would make it better.
Not top heave at all, plus lowering extansions would not offer the additional clearence they give.

Reactions: Tufargon

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials