Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Kamchatka, Russia

Alexey

Reaction score
Finally today received spare batteries from CarolinaDronz and raise Pumpkinbird to sky. Up to 30 meters. In beginner mode. Because windy and snowy today. Drone arrived from China with dead battery and I wait 2 weeks for spare parts but at this time charged and ready to fly when snow stop falling down.

Moved from DIY F450 and Tarot FY650.

Orange color great for snow hills - awesome drone!

Hello,
It is a pleasure to welcome you to the AutelXPilots forum.
I hope that you will be able to use the forum to further your safety knowledge and for the exchange of innovative ideas and as a resource for
current developments in Autel quadcopter’s. Read the manual a few times and watch lots of Youtube videos on the subject to give yourself a good start.

Enjoy!

Reactions: Alexey
I'm looking forward to you posting a few Russian films and photos. If I remember my geography correctly, Kamchatka is supposed to be one of the most beautiful places on earth.

I am newbie in video (I am child photographer) and have no good quality video yet. But want to fly X-Star every calm day twice! You can check my two first videos:

Also you can check my tests of Orbit mode:

And short footage near power lines in fresh wind (30 Km/H)

I am waiting my backpack and ready to skiing for close to our "home" volcanoes (24 km from town) only for shooting with Pumpkin.

Thank you for your interest!

I am newbie in video (I am child photographer) and have no good quality video yet. But want to fly X-Star every calm day twice! You can check my two first videos:

Also you can check my tests of Orbit mode:

And short footage near power lines in fresh wind (30 Km/H)

I am waiting my backpack and ready to skiing for close to our "home" volcanoes (24 km from town) only for shooting with Pumpkin.

Thank you for your interest!

I just watched your movies and I think you get it. By the way, I especially liked your editing for sunset on Avancha Bay, particularly for an early effort. Of course, living in Kamchatka is like living in Alaska or Iceland; when you inhabit one of the most beautiful spots on earth it isn't hard to come up with a good photo (or movie). It's nice when you have such great material to work with.

As regards being new. I hoping to start a discussion here on film making
New photographers like to blame poor photographs on their equipment so they tend to spend inordinate amounts of money on equipment. I've noticed drone pilots tend to be tech guys, more than artists, you can see it in their films and photos. Great photographers can take great photos with a pocket instamatic. As far as equipment, a camera, some ND filters and Polarizing filters are about all you need, there's a reason Autel and Tiffen issued a small set of 4 filters. Everything else is a distraction (learned the hard way after spending way too much money on equipment in an effort to improve my photos). Composition and perspective matters a whole lot more than equipment. Read everything you can in every photography and movie magazine and internet article you can find. I notice a number of drone movies ignore C&P and go for displays of height and endurance, but I recently saw a competition, on this forum I think, where the winner introduced Iceland. I threw my latest movie in the dust bin after seeing it, that pilot inherently was a master. I've a long way to go. Iceland's color, composition and perspective were perfection. That pilot used height, but just as important, they didn't. Too many pilots go up to 400 feet and putter along, thinking the fact of the flight is enough to entertain viewers, but all they actually create is a boring movie. A movie should cut a slice of the place you are and serve it up in a way that makes the viewer want to rush there to see it for themselves (this is what you did with Avancha Bay). The earth looks flat at 400' (120m); the best texture is seen at a closer angle. Your XSP comes with a grid. I never turn it off, There is a classic artists formula for composition photographers call the rule of thirds, and happily the XSP has a 3x3 grid. The rule of thirds can be seen working in great photos from the 1850's and has worked since the days of the rennaissance artists.
Lastly, take 10,000 photos and as many movies. Then review, edit and throw 9,999 of each away. What remains will be your best.

Regards

David

Reactions: Delta Blue
How did you get sound in your video? Not music but drone sound? Is that edited in for effect?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I noticed a bit of wobble on the Avacha Bay video, but you were up against the side of a cliff, so I'm suspecting the wind was a little gusty and unpredictable there. Any issues landing in that or did you hand-catch it?

I noticed a bit of wobble on the Avacha Bay video, but you were up against the side of a cliff, so I'm suspecting the wind was a little gusty and unpredictable there. Any issues landing in that or did you hand-catch it?

Correct, there were strong wind gusts. For landing I cleared small area about 3-4 sq.ft. Sometimes land in this area, sometimes in hand. I always land in manual mode because X-Star automatic landing option like to jump 2-3 times before calm down. It is unacceptable near ice chunks and salty waves.

Great spot to film. The addition of the dog was a nice touch. Yaw isn't particularly apparent in the final product.

Did you need to use either a polarizing filter or an ND? Snow is hard to film, frankly, I think one of the hardest things to film, because it's so bright and everything else isn't. Each white prismatic crystal acts has an insanely high reflectance value and it causes TTL meters camera to misread the settings, all that excess light overwhelm the electronic sensors on cameras. I prefer to use a passive meter for snow. Thanks for the show

Reactions: Alexey
This video shot with Freewell CPL filter. Now I waiting set of Freewell filters (ND4|8|16) but understand that I need ND32|64 and ND1000 for bright sunny day. That day first time I saw jello effect when climbing to clouds. Can't upload this footage to YouTube because uploaded it to microstocks for sell.

Don't think I have ever had cause to use something like ND 1000 before, but the snow conditions you experience would certainly stretch the limits. . What's your take on freewell? glass? Plastic? Distortion? Been looking for graduated nd and color gradients, and notice they make them.

What's your take on freewell? glass? Plastic? Distortion? Been looking for graduated nd and color gradients, and notice they make them.

I think Freewell made their filters for Autel from multicoated glass. But this need proof. I have not seen any distortions from CPL filter.

About graduated ND and color graduated filters: as photographer I can't understand their existence (especially for drones). I need just crystal clear picture from camera and easily post process raw materials to any look as I want. BUT this is also theme for Holy War and not for this thread :))

Confirmation from Harry about Freewell filters received: all filters except Grad filters made from optical glass with multilayer coating. Grad filters made from Resin optics.

The irony of fate: in previous message I said that can't understand why color graduated filter exist but Harry included set of this filter as a gift in my parcel ))) And now I must use them.

Here it is sample of shooting with Freewell ND16 filter:

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials