Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

(issues) Evo 2 Pro 6k (v2) Manual exposures/video tinted green or purple

Shain Rufus

Reaction score
So I have noticed something that is an issue that I'm curious if anyone else has had these issues. When taking manual exposures...3 bracketed shots to be more specific...occasionally when I look at the images on the smart controller or even when I'm viewing them on my computer to edit...there a few that will have green or purple tints. The 3 shot burst is set to the same manual settings with the exception that one is over exposed and one under exposed, The drone itself is taking the 3 round burst though. I notice these issues when I have transmission issues for my controller display (smart controller v2). Anyone else have this issue? Its very aggravating as I have to edit those shots to adjust their tint. I'll post some images so you can see what I mean. The images before these and after these have normal coloring. MAX_0048.jpgMAX_0049.jpgMAX_0050.jpg

I just found it in some video footage as well....this is ridiculous. It almost appears that the video is coming from a screen capture of the display...but it isn't.

Video color tinting aberrations
Can be seen starting at 10 seconds into the video

Last edited:
Yes, I have the purple in my pictures and video.... it can be minimized with some processing but can't be eliminated without throwing other parts of the shot out of whack

• Sad
Reactions: Andrew01
Honestly that's unacceptable. If it's a bug then fine...but if it's something we need to "get used too"...then no. I can't rely on a platform like that for my business. I have contacted support for further review and I'll post what I find out. I really want to like this aerial system but it's becoming harder each time I fly when I have issues like these pop up.

Reactions: Steve Zuke
Honestly that's unacceptable. If it's a bug then fine...but if it's something we need to "get used too"...then no. I can't rely on a platform like that for my business. I have contacted support for further review and I'll post what I find out. I really want to like this aerial system but it's becoming harder each time I fly when I have issues like these pop up.
If you look close, you will find the purple hue in the shadowy areas of all the videos posted online. I don't believe it will be rectified.

Screen Shot 2021-11-05 at 5.31.16 PM.png

• Sad
Reactions: Andrew01
If you look close, you will find the purple hue in the shadowy areas of all the videos posted online. I don't believe it will be rectified.

View attachment 12242
No, what i'm referring to it the camera changing tints on the images. If you see the 3 images above I posted...that was using the auto-bracketing setting for 3 round burst. The drone took the 3 images above in different exposure settings. However, look at the hue of the 3 images...2 have more of a magenta look and the 3 is greenish hue. That's the issue I am referring to. Also, in the video...at about 10 seconds in you will see a flickering taking place...the hue or tint is flickering in the video on manual settings.

I contacted support and they are requesting that I send in the drone because it appears to be a gimble/camera issue. I hope thats the issue and not a defect or bug in the software.

I contacted support and they are requesting that I send in the drone because it appears to be a gimble/camera issue. I hope thats the issue and not a defect or bug in the software.
A similar issue was reported occationally with the Inspire. It was usually the gimbal connection to the craft. I wouldn't be surprised if that is what you have there.

I assume that you have locked the camera White Balance to something like +/- 5600K for daylight shots. In AUTO mode, it could be hunting for balanced colors that vary as the drone moves or the exposure changes (bracketing).

The Evo 2, especially in standard profile, does have a magenta shift to the footage. I can reproduce it on both my 6K and 8K, and it is most pronounced when shooting a river/water body that's lined with especially green trees, just like the photo above. The water will render as purple, when it is blue and clear in the real world. It's a pain in the donkey to fix in post and sometimes its straight up impossible. I can post a clip where it's particularly severe, for sake of example if anyone wants to see.

In Log profile it's not as bad, and hasn't manifested in all situations for me. It hasn't been to the point of having to throw away a whole shoot's worth of purple footage, but it is there. YMMV.

OriginalDobo (I'm not a fan, but still) and other Youtubers did point it out as a problem with their early review units, but it hasn't been fixed yet. Continuing to raise the issue with Autel is probably the only hope we have that'll happen.

Something about their color science is just broken. On the other hand for what it's worth, reds and sunsets are much more vibrant and realistic in my experience than with DJI....

Last edited:
The Evo 2, especially in standard profile, does have a magenta shift to the footage. I can reproduce it on both my 6K and 8K, and it is most pronounced when shooting a river/water body that's lined with especially green trees, just like the photo above. The water will render as purple, when it is blue and clear in the real world. It's a pain in the donkey to fix in post and sometimes its straight up impossible. I can post a clip where it's particularly severe, for sake of example if anyone wants to see.

In Log profile it's not as bad, and hasn't manifested in all situations for me. It hasn't been to the point of having to throw away a whole shoot's worth of purple footage, but it is there. YMMV.

OriginalDobo (I'm not a fan, but still) and other Youtubers did point it out as a problem with their early review units, but it hasn't been fixed yet. Continuing to raise the issue with Autel is probably the only hope we have that'll happen.

Something about their color science is just broken. On the other hand for what it's worth, reds and sunsets are much more vibrant and realistic in my experience than with DJI....
i do like the reds and sunsets with this drone. I have used dji exclusively for the last 6 years and jumping to the evo 2 pro is similar to when I jumped from apple to android. Taking a bit to get used too but I'm getting there. I will send the drone out though as they have requested. The smart controller was a chunk to bite off...but completely worth it imho. I will never go back to the old setup (tablet + mount + controller + cables).

This looks like a problem with using Auto White Balance. I never do, so have never seen it. Select a manual White Balance and see if that fixes your problem.

See here:

I'm just curious why you are not using ND filters? I guess I just assume everyone films professionally and would understand the rules of filming.
I guess I'm not a professional as you have stated since I wasn't using them at that time...

• Haha
Reactions: PingSpike
To answer your question though I don't always use them because my line of work doesn't require them. I'm not making movies or commercials. I'm doing real estate work and so my clients aren't looking for hollywood quality work. I use them when I feel like they are necessary to use them...which is not every shoot.

I film 2-3 times a week with drones and no way I could compensate for the sun without ND filters if I want to reproduce the setting. Not trying to bust your balls and have no idea what level you are. I would hope that if I post a video that others would ask me questions to help solve my issues.
Then you should know having a filter on would not be the cause nor the solution to the issue above. It's likely a camera connection issue or a auto-WB issue.

I'm good with all of the help...but to insinuate that as a film maker I should obviously understand the basics of filming is a nose thumbing towards me...hence my response back. I didn't go to school for filming...and I had to learn everything on my own the last 6 years. Some things I use and others I don't. I use the occasional filter when I see a need or the property is extremely expensive and deserves the attention. But some properties are just quick shoots and cheap work due to the contract price. My clients are happy and that makes me happy. Win win. What ever works for me works...and what ever works for you works. :)

I film 2-3 times a week with drones and no way I could compensate for the sun without ND filters if I want to reproduce the setting. Not trying to bust your balls and have no idea what level you are. I would hope that if I post a video that others would ask me questions to help solve my issues.
With the EVO II's variable aperture, filters are less necessary. As the OP says as a real estate photographer he doesn't need to reproduce filmmakers tricks like motion blur and a higher shutter speed can produce a sharper image.

There is a great thread from a professional photographer / videographer here:

Why I NEVER use ND Filters With Drone Cameras

This looks like a problem with using Auto White Balance. I never do, so have never seen it. Select a manual White Balance and see if that fixes your problem.
I think unfortunately this is the answer to the OP's issues. I believe its a software bug that causes the drone to hunt for white balance when in auto mode. I think some of the odd tints will still show up from time to time using manual white balance but not that constant switching.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials