Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Ipad Setup

alphoto

Reaction score
I have been using a Typhoon H for quite awhile and want to try the Evo II. I want to set it up with an ipad and would really like some good, honest suggestions. Thanks in advance for taking the time

What size pad works best, best holder, software problems, Thanks

Size depend on budget and eyesight. Bigger than 9.7 gets a little ungainly IMO. Some are fine with the smaller ones. I run a 9.7.

Lifthor is considered by many to be the best holder. I use the first gen, very secure and makes holding the flimsy controller better.. A hood will help in seeing the screen in bright overhead sunlight and helps keep sun off slowing heat buildup that will shut an iPad down when it gets too hot.

iOS app has run for me without issues.

I run an iPad 7 with 10.2 screen, a little big on size but it works. A 9.7 would probably be maximum, anything bigger tend to get heavy.

Prefer using an iPhone but screen is too small, Nothing beats getting a better view of terrain that’s were iPads help.

Good luck,
Paul

Thanks very much for the input. I was concerned about moving from the nice big Typhoon H screen to my iphone, now not so much. I appreciate you all taking the time, Thanks Again

Unless they fixed the app, there's no native iPad support. You get an iPhone size screen that can be stretch and with black bars. Pretty useless. I sold my iPad mini and bought Galaxy tab 10.1" because Android version of Autel explorer works with android tablets.

Unless they fixed the app, there's no native iPad support. You get an iPhone size screen that can be stretch and with black bars. Pretty useless. I sold my iPad mini and bought Galaxy tab 10.1" because Android version of Autel explorer works with android tablets.

This. I bought an iPad mini because the Android tablet I have been using is SLOW. I am going to be returning that iPad mini because the app isn't designed for it. Seriously Autel, can you not check the box in Xcode to also render an iPad version? It is literally 2 seconds.

Thanks very much for the input. I was concerned about moving from the nice big Typhoon H screen to my iphone, now not so much. I appreciate you all taking the time, Thanks Again
iPad Mini 4 or 5 strikes the perfect balance regarding size, weight, display quality, etc. iPad OS and the Explorer app work perfectly together. The Lifthor tablet holder is excellent, but heavy and bulky.

iPad Mini 4 or 5 strikes the perfect balance regarding size, weight, display quality, etc. iPad OS and the Explorer app work perfectly together. The Lifthor tablet holder is excellent, but heavy and bulky.
I'm curious are you using some kind of other edition of Autel Explorer app that's designed for iPad screen size?
I just downloaded it again and installed on my iPad (10" version) and it's clearly doesn't work perfectly on it's screen... You can see that it's obviously was designed for smaller iPhone screen. Nether resolution or aspect ration is working right with iPad (I had same issue with Mini when I had that device).

Attachments

• IMG_0666.PNG
    IMG_0666.PNG
    1.4 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_0665.PNG
    IMG_0665.PNG
    349.1 KB · Views: 21
Reactions: parkgt
For some reason I never had an issue with the iPad Mini 4 nor with a Nexus 9. I sold my Evo 1 a few months ago, so I haven’t used the Explorer app in a while. I now own a Mini 5 but am currently flying a DJI Mavic Air 2.

7.9” iPad Mini 5 is a nice size/weight, great screen...
That's what I use also. Even that is really too heavy for the stock camera mount with extender. I build my own mount similar to the Lifthor for more stable mounting.
A neat feature on the iPad Mini 5 (and maybe other iOS devices) is the screen recorder with audio. I use that to document camera settings and my comments during flight.

HI Len, I have always been a Mac guy and have no clue on how to handle Android. How difficult is it to use the Galaxy Tab for the Evo 2. Thanks and sorry for the dumb question

HI Len, I have always been a Mac guy and have no clue on how to handle Android. How difficult is it to use the Galaxy Tab for the Evo 2. Thanks and sorry for the dumb question
Not hard at all. Once you done with initial setup (it will guide you thru it), you will need to login to Google Play Store (kind of like iTunes store) and download Autel explorer app. You don't need to do much else, but keep in mind there are difference in how android GUI works. When you install app it doesn't just show up on the screen, but you have to go to Apps "folder" (has icon of 6 dots). You can drag it from there onto the main screen. When you in any app, if you drag from the bottom you will see 3 icons appear (these are always visible on home screen). Left one that looks like 3 lines show you list of recent and currently running app, so you can switch between them or close (just like on iPad). Middle one is HOME button, and finally right icon that looks like < is "BACK" button. IPad doesn't have equivalent, but basically it takes you back to previous screen or App. When I use my Galaxy tab with Autel app I find only need to adjust brightness (drag from top right and click on "cog" icon, then go to Display and adjust brightness or switch to "Outdoor Mode". Then you press "Back" button twice and it gets you back into Autel App. Also after you done flying make sure to close Autel Exporer or you battery will drain in a day (it's running in the background).

Not hard at all. Once you done with initial setup (it will guide you thru it), you will need to login to Google Play Store (kind of like iTunes store) and download Autel explorer app. You don't need to do much else, but keep in mind there are difference in how android GUI works. When you install app it doesn't just show up on the screen, but you have to go to Apps "folder" (has icon of 6 dots). You can drag it from there onto the main screen. When you in any app, if you drag from the bottom you will see 3 icons appear (these are always visible on home screen). Left one that looks like 3 lines show you list of recent and currently running app, so you can switch between them or close (just like on iPad). Middle one is HOME button, and finally right icon that looks like < is "BACK" button. IPad doesn't have equivalent, but basically it takes you back to previous screen or App. When I use my Galaxy tab with Autel app I find only need to adjust brightness (drag from top right and click on "cog" icon, then go to Display and adjust brightness or switch to "Outdoor Mode". Then you press "Back" button twice and it gets you back into Autel App. Also after you done flying make sure to close Autel Exporer or you battery will drain in a day (it's running in the background).
Thanks, Len, appreciate the tutorial. I will keep you posted

Hi, I used an iPad Pro 11 inch generation 3 until yesterday, it worked fine until the latest ios update, now Autel Explorer always crashes in the Missions option.
I can't build a mission without being out of the program on the main screen.
Anyone have the same problem?
Has anyone solved it?

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coastaldrone